IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four heat races, really!!
7/22/23, 2:34 PM   #11
EldoraMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Hey Mark, let’s cool the outrage, lol. I don’t think it was perfect but I have no complaints. You could make a valid argument for multiple scenarios. Overall, 58 cars were great and big hat shake to everyone team that signed in!
Yup outrage as I was Lol it was good to see large car count. Just asking the question and churing the pot. I had about 7 people ask me how many heats there would be and I said 4. They all said no way and was disappointed when they anowsed 4 heats. It is what it is and will be attending most of the sprint week races.

2 members like this post: captrat, flagboy55
7/22/23, 3:07 PM   #12
DJlives

Top 3 all have won the championship. It's tough. Yet, more often than not the best figure how to get to the front

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, oldfan49, oppweld
7/22/23, 3:33 PM   #13
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the Hooligans. putting everything over 32 cars on the trailer after six or eight laps. was mucKih less satisfying than theym at least getting two, three or four races to try to make it.

Qualify bad and have a flat in the hooligan, Load up, you're done.
Kinda like the old Turkey Night was. The top 22 qualifiers make the feature and the rest load up.
personally I prefer the old way. Top 28 make heat races, everybody goes home. 7 inversion in the heat races.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, flagboy55, ryderrocket19
7/22/23, 6:09 PM   #14
Re: Four heat races, really!!
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

54 at GYATK

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/22/23, 11:31 PM   #15
BrentTFunk

I liked the 4 heats.

4 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, oppweld, Scott Daloisio
7/23/23, 6:02 AM   #16
DaleDuBois

The Sprints are just too safe to race, the real reason for so many racers. Back in the day more than enough race cars was almost unheard of. As I remember if 15 racers showed up it was one good show and that was all they had, no other class. Lots of racers got killed back then or screwed up for the rest of their life. Only the bravest and the best raced Sprints. Rufus Turner in my town built his Sprint and used a Ranger airplane engine. I remember seeing the Sprint in his machine shop. Later on I went with him.

7/23/23, 12:17 PM   #17
captrat

1. It is often opined that USAC needs more geographical diversity. Want to discourage that ask teams to haul from Texas, PA, etc then start near the back of a 15 car heat. 2. Teams new to the scene deserve an opportunity to get more experience, they might even become regulars 3. I do not like the new gimmicks but being flexible on your program if handled correctly is a positive. I am reminded of the intransigent USAC attitude when the WoO came on scene. How did that turn out?

7/23/23, 12:25 PM   #18
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
They could always take qualifiers 33-58 and stagger them into two Non-Qualifiers races transferring the top four out of each to the tail of the heats. That would give you four 10-car heats, a 24-car B Main, and a 22-car feature. Wait, we've already tried that.
What was the reasoning for dropping this?

7/23/23, 12:26 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
1. It is often opined that USAC needs more geographical diversity. Want to discourage that ask teams to haul from Texas, PA, etc then start near the back of a 15 car heat. 2. Teams new to the scene deserve an opportunity to get more experience, they might even become regulars 3. I do not like the new gimmicks but being flexible on your program if handled correctly is a positive. I am reminded of the intransigent USAC attitude when the WoO came on scene. How did that turn out?

There's a lot more top of their game wing racers not running WoO Than top of their game traditional avoiding USAC.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
7/23/23, 4:16 PM   #20
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
What was the reasoning for dropping this?
It sucked for the guys who didn’t qualify well putting them in the C-main which was a 6 lap race that only transferred four. If you did’t make it you were done for the night before they even ran heat races. The current way at least allows everyone to run a heat and a feature.
I’d prefer 5 heats, transfer 4. Take 4 from the B and no provisionals during sprint week. Start 24 each night. The 5 heat format starts 6 more cars ahead of the top qualifiers in the heats and gives them a better chance to make the show therefore more encouraging to show up. Same reason they should do 4 heats with 28 or more, not 31.

4 members like this post: captrat, flagboy55, oppweld, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Four heat races, really!!