IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/L. Jones penalty
10/18/12, 11:42 AM   #1
USAC/L. Jones penalty
Danny Burton

APPEALS PANEL RESCINDS LEVI JONES PENALTIES

The Chief Judge of the USAC Court of Appeals has rescinded the penalties assessed to driver Levi Jones and car entrant Tony Stewart Racing as a result of an incident arising from the August 25 “Sprint Car Smackdown” USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car race at Kokomo, Ind. which also involved driver Jon Stanbrough.

The appeal held October 17 and chaired by Chief Appellate Judge Jeff Stoops dealt with penalties originally assessed according to guidelines of USAC competition rule 10.28 regarding unsportsmanlike conduct.

As a result of the appeal, both the 25-point National Sprint Car entrant penalty assessed to Tony Stewart Racing and the 25-point National Sprint Car driver penalty assessed to Levi Jones have been rescinded.

The panel reviewed facts and information available to them. Based on the lack of material and or video evidence to review along with statements made by USAC Officials in charge of competition for the event, the panel agreed that a penalty judging intentional driver conduct during competition could not be enforced.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

10/18/12, 11:55 AM   #2
Re: USAC/L. Jones penalty
racefan20

Wonder if it would have went down like that had he not been done for the year with the surgery.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

10/18/12, 12:21 PM   #3
sprinterfan

Shocker..............

10/18/12, 12:45 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

The last line of the press release says it all. "the panel agreed that a penalty judging intentional driver conduct during competition could not be enforced". USAC may as well take the rule out of the rule book as it is only a waste of paper and ink. The precedence has been set and now the drivers will have to take that into consideration and handle it themselves.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/18/12, 12:55 PM   #5
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Wow, couldn't see that coming Is this the same Stoops of Stoops Freightliner Truck Sales?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

10/18/12, 12:57 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Wow, couldn't see that coming Is this the same Stoops of Stoops Freightliner Truck Sales?
One and the same.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/18/12, 1:04 PM   #7
sprinterfan

This makes no sense to me at all... Why is USAC stirring this up again?? He got penalized,,, and (some) people moved passed it. Why not keep the penalty enforced and let the issue go away?? Levi's season was done anyway!

USAC sucks. You all better stay consistent is all I'm saying. If the worst driver in the series dumps your poster child next year, and theres no video proving it... Better stay consistent...

Absolutely blows me away.... That was BY FAR the ugliest move toward another driver I had ever seen. Lack of evidence?? Ask anyone, hell Levi admitted to it. Are you kidding me. How many times have you seen Jon Stanbrough get pissed?

10/18/12, 1:08 PM   #8
cws9

So that means Robert Ballou is the only one that has been penalized in the last how many years?

10/18/12, 1:17 PM   #9
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws9 View Post
So that means Robert Ballou is the only one that has been penalized in the last how many years?
I believe this states (but not "for the record" however) that Robert's problem would not have been a problem at all if he had been driving for Tony Stewart or if he had been a past champion in USAC sprints.

10/18/12, 1:32 PM   #10
aka Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
I believe this states (but not "for the record" however) that Robert's problem would not have been a problem at all if he had been driving for Tony Stewart or if he had been a past champion in USAC sprints.
Ha, great post! Why am I not surprised at USAC's action in this case...pretty darn sad.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC/L. Jones penalty