IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Midget 89 (Offline)
  #1 5/17/19 11:48 AM
Today marks the day Scott Brayton lost his life at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A great driver and a wonderful person.
10 Likes: 2fast4u, Black Deuce, Bostonian, Charles Nungester, CRA91, dirtball, EBookerFan, jdull99, ronmil, WinglessLovers
jdull99 (Online)
  #2 5/17/19 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Midget 89:
Today marks the day Scott Brayton lost his life at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A great driver and a wonderful person.
1997. (I was wrong, they corrected me below! lol. It was 1996!). Even though I discovered the www looking up Indy news in High School, it wasn't until I walked out & heard it on the AM radio of my grandparents car, that I got that news. Thankfully I heard the whole report that source offered, or I woulda really been wondering! Most likely the only more I coulda caught was the local nightly news & anything on ESPN at the time (idt we had ESPN2 then).

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 5/17/19 2:48 PM
I thought about that while I was having breakfast this morning. I heard the announcement while I was driving to Bloomington. He was scheduled to start on the pole.

Ron Miller
jdull99 (Online)
  #4 5/17/19 3:13 PM
Originally Posted by ronmil:
I thought about that while I was having breakfast this morning. I heard the announcement while I was driving to Bloomington. He was scheduled to start on the pole.
& that moved Tony to the inside front row spot

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
ronmil (Offline)
  #5 5/17/19 3:17 PM
Originally Posted by jdull99:
1997. Even though I discovered the www looking up Indy news in High School, it wasn't until I walked out & heard it on the AM radio of my grandparents car, that I got that news. Thankfully I heard the whole report that source offered, or I woulda really been wondering! Most likely the only more I coulda caught was the local nightly news & anything on ESPN at the time (idt we had ESPN2 then).
It was 1996; I had in my mind also that it was 1997, but all sources I have checked says it was 1996.

Ron Miller
Therealether (Offline)
  #6 5/17/19 3:29 PM
Definitely 96. Last year of turbochargers until 2012
Midget 89 (Offline)
  #7 5/17/19 8:19 PM
It was 1996. I had just reached the Speedway to spend a week covering the 500 for eight Michigan newspapers. Driving through the tunnel and they were cleaning up the wreckage above me. My first stop was to visit Scotty at his garage.
jdull99 (Online)
  #8 5/18/19 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by jdull99:
1997 (I was wrong, they corrected me below! lol. 1996). Even though I discovered the www looking up Indy news in High School, it wasn't until I walked out & heard it on the AM radio of my grandparents car, that I got that news. Thankfully I heard the whole report that source offered, or I woulda really been wondering! Most likely the only more I coulda caught was the local nightly news & anything on ESPN at the time (idt we had ESPN2 then).
Corrected! 1996. Can't believe I missed that one...lol

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com