IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sway Bar??
1/4/11, 2:12 AM   #1
Sway Bar??
fasster23

I'm new to the Sprint Car world. Since I'm starting out is it going to be worth it for me to buy a 5 bar car? I'll be running a non-wing 305 on a 5/16 track medium banking. The car will weigh around 1475 pounds. I've read that it can make them darty if not setup right. Could I just unhook it until I'm more comfortable with the setup? That way I have that option if/when I decide to use it. Also how many run a 50" front end on a non-winger. I know thats kinda reserved for the wing cars but some guys say they ran a 52" front end and had similar effects as the sway bar. I'm not claiming that they had the right offset or caster. Just wondering if it's more than just a get-me-by type of deal. Thanks

3/7/11, 1:57 PM   #2
Re: Sway Bar??
Frankoski14

When it comes to the sway bar, it sometimes becomes a driver's preference. Some drivers will complain that they can't "Feel" the front end while running a sway bar. You'll get a 20-80 split on those who don't run a sway bar and those who do. Both styles have won races, but knowing how to utilize a sway bar can benefit you more in the long run for certain track surfaces and conditions. When it comes to a 50" over 52" front end. I've never ran a 50" in a non-wing application. If you were to run a 50" front end, you would have to compensate with bars, and wheel offsets in the front to keep it from tipping over to far on the RF. Smaller sized tracks, this could become a benefit. However, Larger tracks like Eldora or Terre Haute would just be flirting with disaster if you're unsure as to how the car would react.

Follow me on Twitter
www.BenjaminFrankoski.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sway Bar??