IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra- king of the tq midgets
11/19/15, 9:57 PM   #21
Re: Umra- king of the tq midgets
Racer1039

As a driver that has been racing TQ's for the last few years I don't see anything wrong with this rule change. There is an OBVIOUS difference in speed between the new technology guys are running and the old 836 engines most everyone has been running. Before this year I never really felt I was getting beat on horsepower... This year I was definitely getting beat on horsepower. I think the UMRA King of the TQ Midgets team is making a move in the right direction with the rules.

-Kyle May

3 members like this post: fish, trannyman, treecitytornado
11/20/15, 8:11 AM   #22
trannyman

Some of theses rules were made 30+ years ago.but,just like in life,as technology evolves so must rules.to say a rule should never be changed,now what seems more stupid?you suppose USAC,and other racing bodies,are still using 30 year old rules that's never been changed?besides,T.E.promotions inherited these rules and can change them as seen fit to help prolong life of the tqs.no one is saying the 4 valve can't be used,but will be with limitations.the Honda 750 has been limited for years,otherwise we'd have 1000cc ones running around.

11/20/15, 10:59 AM   #23
Matt Arrington

I guess we will all see how it goes. Hopefully TQ racing can continue on. How lucky we all are to live in a country where we are free to build racecars and squabble over how we build them.
Last edited by Matt Arrington; 11/20/15 at 11:09 AM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/20/15, 4:52 PM   #24
Chris Baue

I've never been around a racing group that collectively whined, cried, bickered, and pointed more fingers at each other more thean the TQ guys... The rule amendment wasn't a mandatory rule change saying everyone has to punch out their engines. it is just an option to help keep the one type of engine competitive that most teams still use. i have even talked to some that have no plans to make the upgrade and will still run their Hondas as they currently are. If you want to race in the Tq series then build a car and motor how ever you want to and go race. Let your race finishes do your talking for you. I don't own a Tq so it's not a big deal to me one way or the other, but I do race in the series as much as I can. Additional cc's for a particular engine won't kill an entire race series or turn away potential new participants. However, I can tell you from personal experience, constant arguing over things like engine rules absolutely will.

5 members like this post: AlaskaIndy, fish, goodoleboy24, Racer1039, TQ29m
11/20/15, 7:56 PM   #25
badcoupe

Chris and Matt, you're totally correct about the bickering. I have two different newer style motors in progress, but I will keep a Honda around. The newer motors are actually cheaper in the long run as you can pick a brand and generation, buy a injection and have the appropriate adapter made and go for it. The motors are kinda disposable, buy another put your injection on and go. If you scatter a honda you're in for rods at least 1 piston rings bearings a crank and possibly a cam. Bearings, rings, and valve springs are a costly and least twice a year maint item on the hondas as well. I've bought two wrecked bikes for no more than 300 each at the insurance auctions.

2 members like this post: DAD, Racer1039
11/20/15, 10:27 PM   #26
midgetracer

Badcoupe? If you were allowed to run 114 octane (race gas), and did not have too flash the ecu or convert your injection if allowed by the sanctioning body. How much cheaper would this option be for the people wishing to change to the newer 4-valve motors?

11/21/15, 1:57 AM   #27
badcoupe

It would save 2k easy. Injection conversion from hyper or guhl etc is 1500 plus pump regulator power commander if needed, some reflash ecu instead of using pc. So it can go either way. Add lines and fittings and a filter. The pump lines regulator and filter would be needed even for stock injection. Getting rid of the dry sump tank and lines saves a bit of weight even compared to the radiator and two hoses. Make a header or have one fabbed up. I build a few lightning sprint motors one is still on gas the others are on alky. Other than ring jobs they're rather maint free and even the rings last much longer than the air cooled Honda. Water cooling has a lot to do with it as the bores stay very concentric compared to the air cooled motors. The Hondas are always slightly out of round when you drop the bore gauge in.

11/21/15, 2:15 AM   #28
midgetracer

Thank you Sir for your response.

11/24/15, 9:00 PM   #29
hill222

The only problem I see with the new rules are the bore and stroke rule for the 636 four valve motor.That rule forces you to use a Kawasaki if you want to get out to 636cc. Kawasaki is the only one that builds a 636. Honda Yamaha and Suzuki are all 600. Every piston company like J&E wiseco and CP make 636 kits for the 600 Why would you make a rule like that it cuts down your options just make the 4 valve motors 636.and be dun with it. forget the bore and stroke.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/24/15, 9:31 PM   #30
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill222 View Post
The only problem I see with the new rules are the bore and stroke rule for the 636 four valve motor.That rule forces you to use a Kawasaki if you want to get out to 636cc. Kawasaki is the only one that builds a 636. Honda Yamaha and Suzuki are all 600. Every piston company like J&E wiseco and CP make 636 kits for the 600 Why would you make a rule like that it cuts down your options just make the 4 valve motors 636.and be dun with it. forget the bore and stroke.
hill

Perhaps if the rules stated 2mm over bore is allowed and stroke to remain stock it would work out better. A 2mm overbore in any 600 results in about 630cc's. The old Kaw 636 are motors out of the past. They have not been in production for several years now I think. It was used by Kaw to get a one up on Yamaha and Suzuki for the street rider. The racing version named the 600RR was the same engine with a 2MM smaller piston as the AMA limit on 600 race bikes was 600cc's with no allowance for wear. It had a much better head and cams so the serious racer would buy the 600rr head ind put it on the 636 motor for Micro racing.

Since the 636 motor is obsolete, and these new motors have chrome plated bores installing 2MM over size pistons and simply boring out the cylinder is not an option. To overbore these motors the racer must send the block off and have it bored out re sleeved with aluminum sleeves and then re chromed and honed to size. This option can be as high as $1000.00 I guess now days.

When we raced 600cc uprights they had a 2mm over bore rule also. That meant that when we got a new motor it had to go out and put new pistons in it before we ever raced it. (We were a lot dumber and richer back then, I was working on my small fortune) That wasn't too expensive back then because the motors were steel sleeved back then and only required an over bore and new pistons installed about $600.00 + labor, now they are looking at probably $1500.00+ Labor.

Just restricting them to 600cc's with no overbore allowance would be much better for the racers, and to be honest not too many racers will be able to take advantage of that extra 30cc's. Most weed eaters are about 30cc's.

In all seriousness you guys racing stock 600cc motors will run just as good as the 636 guys. And when that 600cc motor bites the dust buy another low mileage motor and replace it.

Honest Dad himself

PS sorry Bob I tried to keep my nose out but that "old devil made me do it."
Last edited by DAD; 11/24/15 at 9:48 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra- king of the tq midgets