IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra- king of the tq midgets
11/18/15, 1:07 PM   #11
Re: Umra- king of the tq midgets
TQ29m

I had every intention of staying out of this, but at my age, my weakness wins. As far as I'm concerned, the TQ's have had the best engine rules anywhere, they allow you to think out of the box, and experiment, I'm the guy that simply hates stock classes, and likes to try different things. I've been kinda off base the past couple of years, and haven't tended to my car as I should have, and it has shown, finally got myself primed to quit looking at the same thing, and found the motor had a cylinder going down, one or both of the exh valves are leaking on one cylinder, which would make it run bad. I'm glad Terry has positioned himself so the current engines can still run for a year or so, letting the Honda's go to 917cc will tell pretty quick how reliable they will be, for the money spent. That being said, the 4 valve motors are still in the hunt, thankfully, there isn't much difference in the way they run with the Honda, taking everything into consideration, and if a racer has enough savy to build one, it doesn't need to be any more expensive to run one, I started running one in 2005, and when we were running almost every race, it was easy to keep on top of it, and I felt that for the money I had invested in the engine program, we were getting a good return on our money, in fact, that little Yamaha made me some good money, and will be rebuilt, and back in for next year. For me, having my own machine shop, building either one is cheap, the Yamaha is very inexpensive, no need for special rods, valves, cams, head work and the like, and good, low mileage engines are CHEEP, plus you can use everything you get, but it does require some research, and the ability to be able to actually build an engine, to me, that's where the fun begins, being able to do most of it yourself, then testing it against the rest. I'm glad to see a set of engine rules out this soon, it will give everyone a chance to decide what/which way to go, and hopefully make good decisions. Good luck next year, hope I'm able to be there with you! Bob

1 member likes this post: racerjim2
11/18/15, 1:28 PM   #12
tqracer20n

So my thought is I will try to bore mine to 919 like it says so at that point I can go run some D2 stuff also but I'll see what happens. But I do question will the motor be ok at 919

11/18/15, 2:16 PM   #13
TQ29m

Not that simple, everything comes with a cost, newer, bigger liners, pistons, and the lower case needs to be bored, along with the new liners, to fit the new pistons. Also the OD of the new liners are larger, so the muff needs bored also. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 11/18/15 at 2:18 PM.

11/18/15, 5:11 PM   #14
TQ29m

Don't think that will be the big equalizer, plus the fact the car probably won't pass tech, tubing too small to pass for a midget, have you seen what happens when a big truck hits an automobile, or a train hits a big truck, don't think they'll let ya do it. JMHO! Bob

1 member likes this post: Kellen Conover
11/18/15, 10:58 PM   #15
trannyman

Is easy to see that "someone" doesn't attend Tq races IN Indiana.or they're one of those that has already switched to a 600/636 and still trying to convince others there's no advantage.thank you "eaglin boys"for making the move to try to keep tqs going.

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
11/19/15, 2:45 PM   #16
24midgets

I think tring to keep Honda alive is Great and I think that giving them a 917 they will be back on top .that is for the guys that has been working every year to make your car faster.for the mid pack guys have hard time beating Tim's cars on regular bases or terrys car so r you going to beat them with more c.c. I doubt it.as for changing a rule that was put in place 20 years ago is just plain stupid .yes my Kawasaki is faster than my Honda no doubt about it.of course my finishes didn't show this because handling issues. But putting new motors in a small box that you can't do any thing to the cc. What happens if you suck dirt and take coating off cyclinder now I have to buy another motor cause not able to bore out for fraction of cost .but no thought about this problem of course. And if Jason sester comes out and beats every stock 636 because he is better driver and get more out of any car he gets in .so Ron comb weigh around 1000 lbs so to slow Jason down he has to weigh 1100 to make him even ,and where do you bolt on 300 lbs safely. And than you can run 40 races on these motors .weekly mataince you wash air filter ,change oil every 6 races. This will all be a mood point in 2 years and the lack of a choose to build a motor how every you want will slow the number of new cars in to midget racing . and to Honda if you blow motor up it cost more to piece a motor together every time .and the 836 Honda beat the 636 at seraval track .and over half the wins that the 636 won they started on front row so luck of the draw and good handling .
Last edited by 24midgets; 11/19/15 at 3:11 PM.

11/19/15, 3:20 PM   #17
darnall

I have no dog in the this fight other than an appreciation for the historical significance of the TQ class. I really like how they have stayed true to the long standing practice of running a midget type driveline instead of just becoming another class of chain drive micro/mini sprints (in Indiana anyway).

I do have a few questions for you guys that own these cars though... can you tell me what all goes into converting one of the newer 600/636 motors into a driveline motor? I am under the impression that rules state the cars can not have functioning clutches and gearboxes. I am wondering how much of the original tranny and engine gets removed,modified and what has to be fabricated/modified or purchased to use a u joint and what it actually bolts up to (crank or tranny primary shaft or????)

And also knowing that these motors run upwards of 15-16,000 rpm, and being under the assumption that the ujoint is mandated to be 1 to 1 with the crank, I am wondering if it has been difficult to get quickchange or ring and pinion sets with a deep enough ratio to wind em up on the little bitty fair race tracks.

If anybody could answer some or all of these questions I would be very thankful, and if this post is considered a thread hijack I will be glad to move this to it's own thread.

11/19/15, 3:30 PM   #18
24midgets

They hook up to crank shaft .you can take out tranny parts only need to keep clutch basket that turns oil pump .
Acro build a rear end that I think can get like 16 to 1 rear ratio so no problem with higher rpm.

11/19/15, 5:04 PM   #19
Matt Arrington

We have been seriously considering moving into a newer 4 valve engine and from everything we can tell it would be cheaper in the long run. For us the biggest expense would be to change the rear end but we are pretty sure we can gear for about every track except for Rushville with what we have. I have my doubts that setting 750 Hondas back atop the pile and tying the fate of TQ racing in Indiana to the 750 Honda is a good idea. It sure seemed like there was finally hope that TQ's could evolve past the 750 Honda dinosaurs they have been running for 30 or more years and take advantage of the abundant amount of 4 valve engines that are out there. There are parts that you just can't find for a 750 Honda anymore. It's all going to end up being who has 750 Honda parts left over. Supply and demand. Cost increase. You can put a brand new engine in your car out of a crashed bike for about what a 750 Honda rebuild will cost you. Perhaps I am way off here but I am not optimistic about the decision for TQ racing. For myself... sure.

2 members like this post: Kellen Conover, treecitytornado
11/19/15, 9:25 PM   #20
TQ29m

If you can unearth a #34-36 gear set, and have a 5.38 r&p Winters, on 10" 68" rr, you can do Rushville, and Madison. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra- king of the tq midgets