IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 450 hp for $15,000!
3/13/23, 5:32 AM   #1
450 hp for $15,000!
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Would these fit in a midget? And would they be torquey enough for dirt racing?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...fe77c3ee&ei=28

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/13/23, 3:13 PM   #2
MassiveRaceFan

I wish the IRL still existed. Such great racing, compared to today's Indycar.

4 members like this post: azsprintfan1, Bostonian, Igo-Ono, jdull99
3/13/23, 5:07 PM   #3
Re: 450 hp for $15,000!
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveRaceFan View Post
I wish the IRL still existed. Such great racing, compared to today's Indycar.
The IRL produced breath taking side by side high speed racing, with incredibly close finishes that will never be duplicated. To top it off, many of the drivers came from a USAC background. It was awesome to see guys that I saw run Eldora & Terre Haute like Tony Stewart, Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Brian Tyler and other short trackers get a chance at Indy. Even Steve Kinser & Jack Hewitt got an opportunity. But the CART people, their big money sponsors and the media was against the IRL from the very start and the pockets of 16th & Georgetown were only so deep. Now it's just a memory.
Last edited by nowingsjeff; 3/14/23 at 5:54 AM.

3/14/23, 10:57 AM   #4
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff View Post
The IRL produced breath taking side by side high speed racing, with incredibly close finishes that will never be duplicated. To top it off, many of the drivers came from a USAC background. It was awesome to see guys that I saw run Eldora & Terre Haute like Tony Stewart, Billy Boat, Donnie Beechler, Brian Tyler and other short trackers get a chance at Indy. Even Steve Kinser & Jack Hewitt got an opportunity. But the CART people, their big money sponsors and the media was against the IRL from the very start and the pockets of 16th & Georgetown were only so deep. Now it's just a memory.
The racing was great in the IRL. Another problem is all the people who said they wanted to see short track stars run Indycars never went. I went to Kansas, Chicagoland, Kentucky, and Indy. There were no fans. I think they put on some pretty good races today. Would like to see a couple of more ovals.

3/14/23, 12:59 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Staab told me he could have gotten a mortgage on his house and ran IRL Indy 500 but he knew he was past his best racing days. He tested, practiced, passed rookie test..

Indy's lost me, Really no familiar drivers. I've always needed to know a few who were racing and let the others make me know em or at least learn who they were by their ability for me to watch. Maybe if Kaylee and some others make it, I'll watch and get at least to Nascar status, Where I know a couple and a few others have made me notice them.

As for Midget engines, That team Swanson was on for Chili Bowl has a LS based system that Im told is half that of a Toyota or SR11 in cost. Reliability Im sure still needs worked out as neither finished.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 3/14/23 at 4:36 PM.

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, oppweld
3/15/23, 3:31 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

Charles, check out Ferrucci for ability. The guy is a gasser. Raced a midget at the BC39 and the Chili Bowl. Don't let the name fool you. He is American. Your welcome to join us on Carb day at the end of the backstretch. Watching guys dive under other cars at close to 230 MPH, into 45 degree turn that is only banked 9 degrees is pretty impressive to me.

3/15/23, 6:02 PM   #7
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Watching guys dive under other cars at close to 230 MPH, into 45 degree turn that is only banked 9 degrees is pretty impressive to me.
Now if only the other Indycar races were like that and not just boring parades.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/15/23, 8:58 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Charles, check out Ferrucci for ability. The guy is a gasser. Raced a midget at the BC39 and the Chili Bowl. Don't let the name fool you. He is American. Your welcome to join us on Carb day at the end of the backstretch. Watching guys dive under other cars at close to 230 MPH, into 45 degree turn that is only banked 9 degrees is pretty impressive to me.

I've seen that in person. But the whole things changed, There were eight to ten guys I watched race at some point in sprints and midgets when I did. It was still a endurance race and not clone cars with 90% finishing and 80% on the lead lap at the finish.

Want me to come back, Put Larson, Bryson, Kofoid, Rico and Bayston out there.

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
3/16/23, 12:11 AM   #9
The55

Nothing is as it was 40 or more years ago. You will never see sprint car drivers move to Indy racing and only a few die hard sprint car fans care. Sorry, but Indy car fans are not longing for dirt track drivers to show up at Indy. It doesn’t matter what you or I want, those days are long gone. I enjoy watching great drivers race at Indy and great drivers at Kokomo or Eldora. They just aren’t the same guys but all are great drivers.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, hoscalecody, Knoke77, Puppy, tirespinner, Will Shunk
3/16/23, 1:10 AM   #10
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

When I worked at Texas Motor Speedway (The IRL years) those Indy car races where far superior to any cup races!

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, jonboat15, nowingsjeff, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 450 hp for $15,000!