IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starting the next generation. Need help
7/10/12, 12:04 AM   #1
Starting the next generation. Need help
jeffnanny

Hello. Looking for help. I want to get my son involved in dirt track racing. He is 8 and has been racing on a 50 quad since he was 3. He loves to race. He is wanting to get going on something else. So looking for options on what there is to do for his age group. Go karts, 1/4 midgets, ???. I am down in the Bloomington area and want to see what's close. Thanks for the help and hope we can figure something out for him for next season.

7/10/12, 12:14 AM   #2
Re: Starting the next generation. Need help
wideopen24

For Sale...
Last edited by wideopen24; 11/5/17 at 3:14 AM.

7/10/12, 2:00 AM   #3
cwracing38

If your interested in going down the gokart path give these guys a call. You won't find two better people in the gokart business. They are willing to help anyone from backyard racers to national racers, and are very knowledgeable and passionate for what they do. Ask for Brent and he will be able to answer any questions you may have or just give you some advice.

www.sbrpower.com
(812) 402-6880

Posted via Mobile Device

7/10/12, 8:41 AM   #4
Pat O'Connor Fan

My oldest grandson started racing in go karts, under the tutelege of my son (his uncle Pat). They added quarter midgets and that gradually ended the kart racing. A win at a Dirt Grand, combined with my grandson reaching his teen years prompted my son to move him to POWRi 600 micro-sprints. Now in his second full season of micros, he is running in the top 10 in points, and is "learning to race" fast open-wheel cars on dirt tracks such as Tri State at Haubstadt, Macon, Jacksonville, and Peoria.
I would guess that both karts and QMs were very good learning grounds, but the QM route is where his "sponsors" began to really notice that we were all "digging deeper" with every move up to another class

1 member likes this post:
7/10/12, 8:43 AM   #5
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

I have a 8 year old son who has been racing quarter midgets for 3 years now. We have really enjoyed the sport and made some really good friends along the way. It's like anything else you have your over the top parents but as a whole it's been a lot of fun. Most clubs offer a chance to come out and drive a car for a small fee ($10 usually) I would certainly recommend you do that before investing in the sport. Our club also offers up scholarship cars for select families you just need to fill out a application and they look over each families situation and then decided who gets the cars. Basically the families recieve a car for 1 year at no charge and return it at the end of the year. If it sounds like something your interested in I would be happy to answer any questions. Take a look at the website and if you get a chance come over one Saturday and check it out. http://www.thqma.com/ (317) 557-2649

1 member likes this post: sprintgal
7/10/12, 1:18 PM   #6
the_77H

I started out in go-karts and loved it. You really learn about momentum and being smooth. Just finding a place to run will be the issue I think. I'm pretty sure Linton still runs, but the places I used to run like Boggs and County Line (just down the road from LPS) are shut down. But this time of the year at least you get to run all the 4H Fairs

7/10/12, 1:51 PM   #7
Texan

My son started racing quarter midgets at age 7. At age 11, we went to 600 Mini Sprints this year and he has already won an ASCS 2 race as well as races on our home track and is running 2nd in points.

The quarter midget deal helped him learn how to drive a car (smooth throttle, momentum, traffic, etc.) and helped me understand a little better how to set the open wheel cars up. A lot of the QM stuff translates to the 600 Minis.

Good luck.

7/10/12, 2:12 PM   #8
jeffnanny

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Ross I liked the reply on your thqma. That sounds like a great environment and an awesome experience and a lot like what I am looking for. Hope to maybe come over on a Saturday and check it out....

Jake I know theres not too many places around. What ive found so far is Terre Haute and Linton. So hopefully will work something out. Ill hope to see you at the track round bloomington etc before too long... Seems like your gettin better and havin a blast..

Again thanks for the replies to this and keep em coming. Going to try to starting getting something lined up for next year for him..

---------- Post added at 2:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:58 PM ----------

And all in all id really like to see about a 1/4 midget. Looks like it could really be a huge learning curve for him and myself. We have always been around dirt track racing but he really is wanting to race and get out of the stands lol. So also if anyone is selling a good used setup to get started in there let me know what you have and some details. I want to give him the opportunity that I never had to try different things and see how it goes. I can tell that racing is a big part of him but figuring out what to race is where we are at...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starting the next generation. Need help