IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Final hoosier hundred at the indy mile to be held may
4/3/19, 1:24 PM   #41
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

My first Hoosier Hundred was in 1967. I can close my eyes and still hear the music of the DOHC Ford as Bruce Walkup broke the track record.
There used to be two great traditions on the Saturday after Labor Day, the Hoosier Hundred and the Miss America Pageant. Bert Parks, longtime emcee of the pageant died, and the fair board started moving the Hoosier Hundred date
around and both events diminished greatly.
I attended several State Fair Century USAC stock car races at this historic venue as well and the stands were always packed.
I called both Anna Whelchel and the governor’s office and left messages. The governor didn’t seem interested and switched me to Anna Whelchel; but anyway I did my $.02 worth.
I agree with Racefan20 about the political posts. They don’t belong and should be removed. There is enough of that crap on Facebook and we don’t need more of the same on this forum.

4/3/19, 3:59 PM   #42
racer-x

I can’t remember what year my Dad took me to the Hoosier 100 but I was thinking AJ won which would have been 1968 or 1969. That would have been when I was 7 or 8 years old. I just remember his car smoked from the start to the finish.. Any of you veterans on here remember that????

4/3/19, 4:32 PM   #43
flagboy55

Does anyone think the petition which is circulating well from what I’ve read, will have any influence at all?

4/3/19, 5:25 PM   #44
Re: Usac: Final hoosier hundred at the indy mile to be held
DonMoore10

There is power in numbers!!!

4/3/19, 5:50 PM   #45
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Does anyone think the petition which is circulating well from what I’ve read, will have any influence at all?
I still did it, but I doubt it. This has probably been in the works for years. I think the greatest thing to do to honor this event is to show up in huge numbers for the last one. I would guess this is a huge project, and I would guess the budget is probably north of $5million. I bet it would take decades for barn rentals to recoup that cost.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, mc/rider, oppweld, PJ Wright
4/3/19, 9:02 PM   #46
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I still did it, but I doubt it. This has probably been in the works for years. I think the greatest thing to do to honor this event is to show up in huge numbers for the last one. I would guess this is a huge project, and I would guess the budget is probably north of $5million. I bet it would take decades for barn rentals to recoup that cost.
I was wondering how they were going to be able to do this without reaching into the taxpayers pockets. If your number Brent is even close I cant see that they can. I think the horses that are kept there are harness racing horses not thoroughbreds. They raced there twice last year.....

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4/3/19, 9:35 PM   #47
DonMoore10

If they are going to spend a lot of money on what seems to be a new track, then build a 3/4 mile track inside the present track.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, mc/rider
4/4/19, 6:20 AM   #48
sp6967

if peta only had a little more political clout they could have horse racing banned.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
4/4/19, 11:13 AM   #49
jdull99

Wonder what they would do if everyone on this thread rented a stall & paid for all the services they offer thru the year? That might make a difference...plus $100,000s worth of sponsorships for the auto races (payable to the fair board)...other than that, I'm afraid it is what it is...

Maybe, what happens if they have a midget race on the little track at IMS sometime in May, & call it the same thing??? Ideally the payout could match some of the #s from the 1960s or so too...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/4/19, 1:17 PM   #50
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
No apology necessary, TOC. I was pretty sure you weren't lumping normal folks in with the urban inbred's.

I sure wish chitcago was part of Indiana instead of Illinois so some of the folks over in Indian who believe it's a good thing for a cesspool like chitcago and metro east St. Louis to dictate to us non-cesspool folks downstate should live and be taxed. They'd maybe have a whole different take on the "one person one vote" representation thing works for them when you have a bunch of clowns that have no idea, and don't really care, about the rest of the state. If chitcago is so great many of us over here wish it was all yours!!

As far as the Belleville link goes, be advised that Belleville, Illinois is basically part of the metro east St. Louis cesspool. I take anything that comes out of that place with a most cynical grain of salt. Now, back to racin'!
Thought you could get the last word, didya?
I'm with BrentTFunk... one man one vote. People in Chi-Town might consider you an "inbred". I don't, we just disagree...lets show some respect?
I was gonna respect this request : " Can we stick with the racing aspect and not ******** please. Pretty sure one of Bill's biggest rules is no ******** on the board"....but couldn't let your comment slide..
NOW back to racing?

2 members like this post: ronmil, Vookie
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Final hoosier hundred at the indy mile to be held may