IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra-king of the tq midgets
3/10/15, 10:25 PM   #41
Re: Umra-king of the tq midgets
DAD

Bob

Seems like you could find all the planet systems you are looking for in a modern day automatic transmission?

Honest Dad himself

3/10/15, 10:42 PM   #42
TQ29m

Been there, not what I'm looking for, Greg may have something on the shelf. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 3/11/15 at 9:57 AM. Reason: x

3/11/15, 11:07 AM   #43
DAD

Bob

Found this on Ebay for $150.00 >>It sure is amazing old Henry had automatic transmissions figured out before they even invented automatic transmissions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-1925-mo...-/251874607213

Honest Dad himself

3/11/15, 12:04 PM   #44
TQ29m

He was real good at putting a square peg, in a round hole, and making it do more than one thing. That's not the part I was referring to, altho it is a T trans, the part I'm thinking of isn't shown, the part I'm thinking of, only on a smaller scale, is used today in heavy equipment axles, you see them working on them on the Monster trucks, but they use them primarily to get ground clearance, as well as another gear reduction, I only need one about 4" in diameter, I'm sure Gregg will have no problem coming up with something, no use getting the cart before the horse tho, mine is good the way it is, I have been able to get low enough with my Winters, just trying to get a little more, you know how that goes! I can get down to almost 13-1 now, so it's working for me, that'll get me 13500, even at Madison. Bob

3/11/15, 12:29 PM   #45
TQ29m

DAD, I just bought one off Ebay, I think it's what I'm looking for, I just got my computer back from the Orkin Man, and have been relying on my Droid, and my tablet, so what I see is really small. Almost all of the auto trans gears have, I call them twisted, teeth, but from what I could see of this one, it has straight cut teeth, so it should make finding something to match it a bit easier, if not, I'll call Greg, besides, at $15.00 including shipping, I could use another paper weight. Well, it's pay day, so we're off to the grocery store, and if anything is left, put some gas in the jitney! Bob

3/12/15, 1:42 PM   #46
bzneil

I have been thinking about this for a while also for another reason. I run a vintage Chevy II edmunds at vintage meets and have had a blast the last couple of years with the full race Chevy II. I have the Tilton clutch and starter in it but it is still not really self starting, and not really enough gear to start from a dead stop. I'm starting get the urge for a sprint car with a trans as most vintage guys end up going to eventually for ease. But I love my midget so....

I have been toying with the idea of building a cage skeleton that would mount an R1 with trans to the Chevy II motor plate and drive line. In my case the R1 output sprocket would have to be mounted about 4.5" to the right and about 1.5" up. This would give me a true self start and gears to drive around pits easily. Would be nice to try a road-course with the car also. We do not run very hard.

My plan would be to have an aluminum bearing housing that has a shaft in it that has a sprocket on the engine side and a Chevy crank flange on the other. This would bolt to the motor plate using the torque ball mounting circle and put the fake crank flange in the correct place in relation to the rest of the drive line. The R1 would have a drive shaft of some kind that would connect to the output shaft of the trans and ride in a bearing mounted on the motor plate on the other end. This shaft would have a sprocket on it, with a chain connecting to the fake crankshaft. The chain/drive belt could be fully enclosed and all would be in front of the motor plate.

This sound doable?

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/12/15, 2:00 PM   #47
DAD

bzneil

You might want to check out the Kenyon cars, they use the bigger older and heavier 1200 cc Yamaha and drive right through the torque ball just like a Midget. It might take a lower frame tweak but in the long run would be simpler and Mel has already done the engineering work for you.

Honest Dad himself

3/12/15, 2:23 PM   #48
bzneil

I have studied the Kenyon cars, they are a neat deal, but I want to hide it under the existing body work and not hang the engine out the side. That would be much easier to do though. I could get it to go in directly if I moved the whole drive line 1" to the right but I would have to rotate the engine till the cylinders were straight up and down. I have not investigated how this would affect the oiling system.

3/12/15, 2:41 PM   #49
DAD

bzneil

Mel makes an adapter for the engine sprocket to u joint. tilting the engine up would be no big deal it would probably lower the drive shaft off the motor to a better position for you, but would necessitate a custom pan and oil pickup .

Honest Dad himself

3/12/15, 9:10 PM   #50
TQ29m

I think I can visualize what you are wanting to do, and see it as doable, it isn't that far from how we connect on the Tq, you want to figure a way to enclose it, and if possible, lubricate it with the engine oil, splash would be sufficient. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra-king of the tq midgets