IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Race morphs into Stock Car Race
7/11/11, 7:07 PM   #1
Sprint Car Race morphs into Stock Car Race
captrat

First, let me be clear. I fully understand the need for multiple classes for regular weekly shows. However, after attending the first three nights of ISW I fail to understand the need for all the support classes. ISW crowds have been nearly capacity for each of these first three shows. Why must those who have come specifically for ISW have to set through countless classes and laps which lead to to an excruciatingly long night. Sprint feature started after 11:00 at Gas City. L'burg moved the show along, but if started at 7:00 with sprints only, just maybe we would have had an even better race track. Kokomo probably came closest to an ideal evening.

We often hear talk of making sprint car racing a unique part of our sport. For mature, established events such as ISW it seems illogical to water them down with too many side events. Sort of like going to the movies and having previews in the middle of the feature presentation.

Took a potential new fan to Gas City. Probably not coming back. Too long a night and too hard to find a seat even when you get there before the gates open.

7/11/11, 7:37 PM   #2
Re: Sprint Car Race morphs into Stock Car Rac
JordanBlanton

Having attended single support class shows (a la the Lawrenceburg show last night and Bloomington's USAC races), and USAC-only shows (Terre Haute), I would far prefer a single support class. Time between qualifying/heats/B-mains/feature are necessary, and I'd much rather watch another class of racing than sit and wallow in my own sweat with nothing going on. I do agree that the big shows should run just 1 support class, though.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, scooter99
7/11/11, 7:41 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im fine with the one support class at big shows, Besides. If it should have a short rain they could be very beneficial to getting a program restarted.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/11/11, 9:25 PM   #4
dirt330

remember its these support classes that run every week at all the isw tracks. would be difficult for these tracks to survive without these classes on a weekly basis. let them have a couple nights a year to run with such large crowds. just sit back and relax. if you don't like it stay home and save your money.

8 members like this post: 64chevy, apexonephoto, awnunn, IndyBound, mowerman, PJ Wright, Russ, SHORTBUS
7/11/11, 11:01 PM   #5
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
remember its these support classes that run every week at all the isw tracks. would be difficult for these tracks to survive without these classes on a weekly basis. let them have a couple nights a year to run with such large crowds. just sit back and relax. if you don't like it stay home and save your money.
I won't be staying home, but I will continue to support motorsports and at the same time be able to voice an opinion without pointless rudeness!

3 members like this post: ISF, mud goodsleeve, randy j
7/12/11, 12:21 AM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

support classes are unneccesary at sprint week. the sprinters deserve one solo night per year.

4 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, rdzsprint, Sprints!
7/12/11, 12:24 AM   #7
gtownplowboy

after sitting thru all different formats with all kinds of racing. I think the best quality support class at a given track is an o.k. addition, nothing more. Do not mind watching the mods at all. Anything below that level does dull the excitement that a major event like I.S.W. offers . But to be honest I will willingly sit thru the other races knowing that I will be seeing the best racing that I will see all year. Damn sprint week is the bomb, seeing old friends, camping, and just being around other people who enjoy our sport as much as I do.peace

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
support classes are unneccesary at sprint week. the sprinters deserve one solo night per year.
They do at the Eldora dustbowl at the 4 crown..but competely understand your point.

7/12/11, 12:29 AM   #8
Koonzee

What the hell ,I might as well piss people off here too.I think IMHO,one small class of narrow tired stockers helps the track.Brings moisture up. Just this one class for big sprint shows.Watch the track at Kokomo after the ThunderCars.Seem to help at Vernon,too.
Last edited by Koonzee; 7/12/11 at 12:30 AM.

4 members like this post: Dblchkrs, koolaid89, randy j
7/12/11, 2:29 AM   #9
short track scott

A support class gives the sprints a few more minutes to prep for the next event too. If the support class wasn't there, I KNOW people on this board would get fired up about the dead time between events. Any down time is a "90 minute delay". Seen it. Heard it. And yes a support (what a crazy term for it) class can help the track surface more times than not.
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Dannypollock24, IndyBound, PJ Wright
7/12/11, 11:36 AM   #10
Big Willy

Whether it's a ISW, UMP Summer nationals or any other special race (especially on a week night) I believe the event should be run with as many support divisions as the track wants with the stipulation that only one support division be run in conjunction with the "headliner" until the "headliner" feature has taken place. At that time anyone wanting to stay and enjoy the support divisions may do so and those who already feel they've gotten ample value for their ticket price is free to go home. I understand that many of the venues need the extra pit passes to help cover the costs of these larger events but to put fans in the position of having to sit through the addtional races doesn't make sense to me. I would love to hear an explanation from someone who puts one of these shows on to be able to better understand the logic. I can't wrap my head around the fact that if there are 4 divisions that run 6 races each (4 x 6) = 24 events, then why could you not run (2 x 6) = 12 then run the additional support divisions (2 x 6) = 12; 12 +12 = 24 and have the same show just with the people who came to the the "headliner" on the road home at a decent time. I suspect very few hot dogs amd hamburgers are sold after 9 or 9:30 anyway...

4 members like this post: apexonephoto, crow, erich45, ISF
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Race morphs into Stock Car Race