IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weekly terra haute show
7/16/15, 3:36 PM   #11
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
I heard last night was a pretty good crowd?
Big crowd

7/16/15, 3:39 PM   #12
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Great crowd with more fans in the infield then i've seen in a long time. Fair food and GREAT racing for all. Sorry for the positive post, now, as you were.

5 members like this post: Jbaldwin, jim goerge, koolaid89, scottyCbus, Tony74
7/16/15, 3:44 PM   #13
HARFprez

...and by the way...Terre Haute.

7/16/15, 5:45 PM   #14
Re: Weekly terra haute show
TNRustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidejob View Post
Perris, in California, has no problem doing it. And in the 70's, Calistoga Speedway ran a weekly show, and it was the best racing in the country.
Perris is listed as a 1/2 but it is a very, very small half. And they have cut back on the schedule to only 11 nights over a span of 9 months for this year. But I agree that 1/2 mile tracks can offer some of the best racing... I miss Manzy!

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
7/16/15, 6:28 PM   #15
racer-x

Whoever was saying they didn't like the fair during ISW sure didn't have the view I had when I left the infield and sat up hi in turn 4. The light and rides in the background make my brain think of the past. I was in and out of the main entrance 3 times and never was asked to pay for parking.We sat in traffic for over a hour to get out of there but i didnt mind at all.We got on 63 heading north and hit a bump by the bridge and my trunk lid fell off.The bridge was narrow so we had to go about a mile up the road to turn around and go find it. Sure enough the lid had been ran over a few times and wasn't worth getting run over trying to get it.I don't get to go to races like I used to cause life is a little different for me then it used to be. I had a great time last night and didn't hear one person complaign.

3 members like this post: cwfan08, fish, Tony74
7/16/15, 7:26 PM   #16
Re: Weekly terra haute show
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Very few 1/2 mile tracks have weekly shows.
While this may be true in Indiana, after all you only have 1 Half Mile Dirt Track, here in Minnesota we have 5, with 4 running weekly & 1 dormant. Wisconsin has 2, both running weekly, Iowa has 13, with 9 running weekly, and South Dakota has 2, both running weekly. So, it CAN be done. Maybe Terre Haute just has too much competition for Fans & Cars.

7/16/15, 7:47 PM   #17
Slidejob

In the history of our sport, the greatest weekly shows, Calistoga, Ascot, Knoxville, Williams Grove, just to name a few, are all half miles. Fact.

7/16/15, 9:09 PM   #18
Hamby812

Keep in mind winged vs non wing cars. May not sound like it would make a difference but it does. It's sad to say it but the harsh reality is terre haute would have at most a 5% chance of being successful if they ran a full season weekly schedule. To many other options out there that are easier on equipment. They would have to pay considerably more to get cars away from the other tracks. People seem to factor out 2 huge things, geography and fans. When all the other tracks are a 1/2 mile or close then it'd be fine(not in Indiana) and I personally love terre haute but if I had to choose between watching a race on a 1/4 or a 1/2. I'd take the 1/4 75% of the time. I like to see a driver make a big difference, often times on a 1/2 the best car wins and a guy driving his butt off gets nothing to show for it.
Last edited by Hamby812; 7/16/15 at 9:10 PM.

7/16/15, 10:49 PM   #19
Tumey's 55

See Jerry Shaw's earlier post. In Indiana there are a multitude of smaller tracks running weekly shows which pay the same and are easier on motors. So, his conclusion, why choose the big track. Bottom line sounds like this has been tried at THAT without success.

1 member likes this post: fish
7/16/15, 11:01 PM   #20
oppweld

Race Count Last Year: 25

It doesn't have to be a weekly
Run 6 to 8 sprint shows with most of them being Friday nights. (LESS COMPETITION) one that needs to happen is a 2 day show Indy weekend. Make the Hulman 40-50 to win with a 1000 to start and your not gonna have problem with car counts.

1 member likes this post: Slidejob
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weekly terra haute show