IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > speaking of bucket list's
5/21/18, 8:47 PM   #1
speaking of bucket list's
flagboy55

On another thread I mentioned having a bucket list of racing events that I want to do. Unfortunately, the list has unintentionally gotten shorter due to race's going away and tracks closing. Time is marching on and it's time to try to check off some before some other factor does it for me. Upon thinking about the list, what comes to the forefront is the Sprint Car Hall of Fame. I find it hard to believe that as important as sprint car racing is to me that I haven't already gone. Never been to Knoxville ever! So right or wrong that's on the top of my list. Going to try to make it for the USAC race this year and see a race and the Hall. Now I know it's not the Nationals, but that's plan for now. Are you trying to check anything off your list this year?

5/21/18, 9:07 PM   #2
Re: speaking of bucket list's
Speedwrench

Personal opinion, but I think you'll find that you have a better experience attending your first Knoxville show by not going to the Nationals.

The place will be less crowded and going to the museum will be easier.

Granted, you miss the "Nations experience and atmosphere" but it will give you a chance to see if you like the place enough to go back for the big show.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, WinglessLovers
5/21/18, 9:08 PM   #3
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

If your going to go, drive out a day early and go to the I-80 race and check out Speedy Bill's Museum in Lincoln. They alot of great cars and an unreal collection of engines.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
5/21/18, 10:11 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Louis Vermeille and Oval Nationals for me, But honestly, I don't even want to visit the state due to it's leadership, so I won't.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, leftturnonly, trackprep
5/21/18, 10:18 PM   #5
chathamracefan

Terre Haute. And I’m going Wednesday for the Hulman Classic.

5/21/18, 10:26 PM   #6
mlamb

It's been on my bucket list for awhile, The Jesse Hockett race at Lucas Oil Speedway. I've never been there, and everybody I know that's been say words really can't describe how nice of place that is.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, flagboy55, oppweld, skids59
5/21/18, 11:36 PM   #7
erich45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Louis Vermeille and Oval Nationals for me, But honestly, I don't even want to visit the state due to it's leadership, so I won't.
Two must see events, and Jerry Brown won't be at either.

7 members like this post: Bill Angel, billw, cowboyhar69, flagboy55, jim goerge, Kydehart, oppweld
5/22/18, 12:07 AM   #8
speedemon3b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
It's been on my bucket list for awhile, The Jesse Hockett race at Lucas Oil Speedway. I've never been there, and everybody I know that's been say words really can't describe how nice of place that is.
Lucas Oil Speedway is hands down the best facility I’ve ever been too. I am originally from Missouri and am back there right now to go to Show-Me 100 this weekend. You will not be disappointed.

5 members like this post: erich45, flagboy55, mlamb, oppweld, smith19
5/22/18, 12:08 AM   #9
ISF

I've checked off every event from my "must do" list that is still in existence. However, I would like to experience the Turkey Night Grand Prix at Ventura. Bob, are ya' listening? LOL! We were fortunate enough to have attended the Oval Nationals twice and Turkey Night the first year it was back on the dirt at Perris (2012) following it's years on the pavement at Irwindale. That first TNGP at Perris (well, actually it was the 2nd but the first in this century) was everything we ever hoped for right down to Kyle Larson winning his first TNGP.

All that having been said, I pine for events that are no longer in existence. I was without sufficient disposable income to have attended an event at Ascot Park while it was still in operation, which I deeply regret. And periodically I'm saddened that I wasn't born early enough to have seen an event at Langhorne, especially while it was dirt. I also dearly wanted to attend Super Dirt Week at Syracuse but given the time of year SDW was always scheduled career obligations always got in the way of seeing that show.

For the most part I have been hugely fortunate to have experienced the events that I have. One being the Belleville Midget Nationals. I almost waited too long to make the trip west for that. I have my friend Kansas Bob to thank for that happening. His assistance was immeasurable with that initial endeavor. I think I'll miss the late July/early August trip west the most of all the events that are now gone. Not that the racing wasn't the main attraction, but the friendships, comradery and fellowship of friends we've made as a result of our few trips out to Belleville. Not to mention the fun of looking around and experiencing the North Central Kansas Free Fair during the day. I'm really going to miss all of that.

5/22/18, 2:02 AM   #10
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
If your going to go, drive out a day early and go to the I-80 race and check out Speedy Bill's Museum in Lincoln. They alot of great cars and an unreal collection of engines.
Totally agree! Speedy Bill's museum is astounding, blows Knoxville museum away. You can't just show up & walk around, guided tours only, 2PM, M-F ( Not sure if its still this way) I drove past it 3 or 4 times on my annual migration east & missed the tour. Finally stopped & looked in the window, there was Big Daddy Roth's "Outlaw". Decided to get a motel & see it the next day.... absolutely worth it. Tour guides are knowlegable & interesting... mine was writer Bob Mays. Do it!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > speaking of bucket list's