IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
kdobson (Offline)
  #1 1/3/13 6:54 PM
As many of you from the Central Illinois area know, Jacksonville Speedway will be starting a 305 wing class that will run most weeks. I'm simply putting my contact info out here so that any interested people in the area will know how to get questions about the class answered.

For the most part, our rules will be similar to those for 305's at 34 Raceway in Burlington. The major exception will be that we will allow a 305 built from a 350 block with an additional 50 pounds of weight added. (Just like the rule for the Fords).

If you have any questions about the class or rules, please call or text me at 217-371-3653. We are trying to stay in close contact with those people building cars.

This class is meant to get more people interested in participating in sprint car racing in Illinois. It is not meant to replace or be a substitute for the 410's. Those of you in our area know of the deep involvement in MOWA of myself and the other promoters of Jacksonville and we remain committed to continuing to build MOWA and the 410's while encouraging even more people to choose sprint cars over other forms of racing through an affordable 305 class.

A few short years ago, there were maybe 15 sprint cars in Central Illinois. Now with the growth of MOWA there are closer to 30. Hopefully by making the 305 an option for some that number will grow past 50 in the coming years. We are committed to keeping the 305 class an affordable and fun class. Our target is to allow a person to have a complete, competitive sprint car for a roughly $10,000 initial investment - close to or less than a typical UMP Modified. We will structure the class format and rules so that such a car can be competitive over the long term. This is a local class, not a division of MOWA.

The response from people who either gave up racing due to the cost, or who always wanted to try a sprint car but were either financially or competitively unable to find an entry point has been huge. We look forward to the support of area open wheel fans and participants as we travel down this path of putting even more sprint cars in race shops across the area. More sprint cars means more sprint car racing. Again, please contact me if you have any questions about the class.

Thanks

Ken Dobson
Jacksonville Speedway
217-371-3653
3 Likes: dirtnonwingfan, SETracing, sw1911
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #2 1/3/13 9:17 PM
It is so good to see a promoter trying to grow sprint car racing. I hope this class is wildly successful. Best of luck!

Frank Daigh
mr nobody (Offline)
  #3 1/4/13 6:44 AM
This sounds very interesting. The 305's have been a pretty good class at Burlington and we always have a great time there. If this comes to fruition (never know what all will happen in this world) I would definitely be making some trips over there to Jacksonville to watch them. If they have their 410's racing the same weekends it will make the 7 hour drive well worth it.
Dalton Dietrich (Offline)
  #4 1/4/13 9:05 AM
The 305 division here in the NE has a very good following. It is not uncommon for our races to draw 28-35 cars. (Thats just a "local" show. When we run interregional races we draw 35+. Heck a race the end of last season payed 750 to win (compared to the normal 265) and drew 58 cars. If only we could get a nonwing race or two.
kdobson (Offline)
  #5 1/4/13 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dalton Dietrich:
...(compared to the normal 265)...
I realize that part of the 305 goal is an economy race car racing for a smaller purse.... but I think we can at least per $1 per cubic inch to win a sprint car race.

The normal payout for our 305's at Jacksonville will be $500 to win/$100 to start like the Modifieds.
2 Likes: Dalton Dietrich, dirtnonwingfan
DAD (Offline)
  #6 1/4/13 7:44 PM
Originally Posted by kdobson:
I realize that part of the 305 goal is an economy race car racing for a smaller purse.... but I think we can at least per $1 per cubic inch to win a sprint car race.

The normal payout for our 305's at Jacksonville will be $500 to win/$100 to start like the Modifieds.

I guess I'm getting old but I can remember when 305ci. was the bad boys and some of the best drivers in the USA was racing them in USAC and beaten up on them old OFFy's.

Honest Dad himself
Jrp4554 (Offline)
  #7 1/4/13 8:39 PM
we need a class like this in Ohio

Posted via Mobile Device
DAD (Offline)
  #8 1/4/13 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jrp4554:
we need a class like this in Ohio

Posted via Mobile Device
The sad news is......a good competitive antique 305 will cost as much or more than a good used 410.

Honest Dad himself
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #9 1/4/13 10:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken the Fremont Speedway in Fremont, Ohio runs 305 Winged Sprint Cars.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #10 1/5/13 12:24 PM
Enlighten me a little, men.

What is the big attraction for having a 305 series? I am assuming it is cheaper to run? If so, how? Do some tracks who run 305s offer spec engines? That could lower the cost. If not, it seems like, to me, one could drop just as much $$$ into a 305 trying to win as they could a 360. If that is the case, then why create yet another sprint series with 305s when we already have 410s and 360s? Seems like it would just spread things out and thin them out. Or is the idea to make the engines smaller, reducing HP, and subsequently running them on tracks 1/4 mile and maybe even smaller?

The "real" upside?

Just trying to learn over the off season .