IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ohio Sprintweek
6/21/18, 2:14 PM   #31
Re: Ohio Sprintweek

We have a Maxim sprint car we bought off of Darren Clayton, so naturally it had only been run wingless. Once I got it home, I welded wing mounts on it before I sent it out to be powder coated.

We’ve run it without a wing. We have bolted wings on it and run it with a wing. We have even put slicks on it and run it on pavement. Added wings and ran it winged on pavement. Never once has a promoter told us we couldn’t run because it wasn’t a sprint car. Never once has a fan told me I wasn’t a sprint car driver because it had wings or pavement tires.

That’s from the driver/ owners side. On the fan side, I would watch two squirrels race up a tree. It’s all good.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

6/21/18, 3:14 PM   #32
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Same for me, about anything involving internal combustion and I'm game. I'm also not a huge drag race fan but you should go see the top fuelers and funny cars. They are incredible to put it mildly.
I liked drag racing back in the 1960s when they were all different, often home built, all sorts of different classes, lots of wild unique creations. It was a participant sport back then. Now they're all high tech rocket sleds: Spectator sport.
I would like to see some Vintage or Nostalgia drags tho. They had them in Bakersfield when I went to Trophy Cup in Tulare a few years ago. I was tempted to commute back & forth, but didn't want to hassle with extra driving time & $$$
Last edited by revjimk; 6/21/18 at 3:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
6/21/18, 3:18 PM   #33
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I liked drag racing back in the 1960s when they were all different, often home built, all sorts of different classes, lots of wild unique creations. It was participant sport back then. Now they're all high tech rocket sleds: Spectator sport.
I would like to see some Vintage or Nostalgia drags tho. They had them in Bakersfield when I went to Trophy Cup in Tulare a few years ago. I was tempted to commute back & forth, but didn't want to hassle with extra driving time & $$$
Like this crazy thing: One engine in front, one in back, different engines! Craziest thing is that it actually worked, first dragster to top 150 mph in Quarter Mile. You can see it at Garlits Museum in Ocala, Fla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div8ue3zLJA

6/21/18, 3:22 PM   #34
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Like this crazy thing: One engine in front, one in back, different engines! Craziest thing is that it actually worked, first dragster to top 150 mph in Quarter Mile. You can see it at Garlits Museum in Ocala, Fla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div8ue3zLJA
I just noticed it has a battery too!

6/21/18, 3:38 PM   #35
revjimk

Or this one, Lickliter Bros. National Champion, Competition Coupe & Middle Eliminator, 1960. They were from Staunton, Va. where I lived at the time. I remember seeing it thru their garage door on the way to school, eventually got to talk to them, go in & see it. Basically an Austin coupe body dropped on a slingshot dragster:

Last edited by revjimk; 6/21/18 at 3:43 PM.

6/21/18, 3:43 PM   #36
revjimk

Sorry for the thread drift, figured some of you might dig this stuff....

6/21/18, 3:51 PM   #37
revjimk

[QUOTE=1121;496570]We have a Maxim sprint car we bought off of Darren Clayton, so naturally it had only been run wingless. Once I got it home, I welded wing mounts on it before I sent it out to be powder coated.

We’ve run it without a wing. We have bolted wings on it and run it with a wing. We have even put slicks on it and run it on pavement. Added wings and ran it winged on pavement. Never once has a promoter told us we couldn’t run because it wasn’t a sprint car. Never once has a fan told me I wasn’t a sprint car driver because it had wings or pavement tires.

That’s from the driver/ owners side. On the fan side, I would watch two squirrels race up a tree. It’s all good.

Tom Paterson

PDP Racing[/QUOTE
Squirrel racing? Rocky would win... he has wings! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65t-OzhlmvE

6/21/18, 4:29 PM   #38
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I like them with wings or without, I prefer with wings,but that's me. What wears me out is all the people who call the wing "the crutch" and say it takes away the talent. Show me one guy who was a wingless back marker and became a front runner when he put the wing on, and you might have something, but it doesn't happen.

6/21/18, 5:10 PM   #39
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

I Love non wing sprints but ohio speedweek is my favorite week of the year.

3 members like this post: fishnman, motorhead748, PIT CART
6/21/18, 5:50 PM   #40
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
I like them with wings or without, I prefer with wings,but that's me. What wears me out is all the people who call the wing "the crutch" and say it takes away the talent. Show me one guy who was a wingless back marker and became a front runner when he put the wing on, and you might have something, but it doesn't happen.
Good point!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ohio Sprintweek