IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Dirt Track Lives
6/21/18, 12:41 AM   #21
flagboy55

My only comment would be, not enough bank, only 8 degees. I was not able to enjoy a race there, but I think they should make a replica of Little Springfield, by all accounts that was a bad a$$ race track!

4 members like this post: 2rock21, bullringko, hb56, oppweld
6/21/18, 11:33 AM   #22
Re: IMS Dirt Track Lives
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by btg1963 View Post
Also, reading Robin Miller’s article, they are only erecting 5,000 seats. If this is the case, IMS has GROSSLY UNDERESTIMATED the interest this event has generated.
I keep seeing the 5,000 number pop up. I don't know if they are going to be using the turn 3 seating in addition to what they are bringing in closer to the track, but they probably need closer to 10,000. Thoughts?

3 members like this post: HARFprez, nathans1012, superstock30
6/21/18, 12:16 PM   #23

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I sit in the turn three seats for the big race and they would be to far away. You got the big track, run off lane and spectator mounds in between. Depending on where the track is built they might be able to use the spectator mounds as a grassy hill on one side for lawn chair seating.

What I don't get is how this I going to help attendance for the nascar race. They cant get 50,000 for the cup race but getting 5000 people to this dirt race to stick around for the cup race seems a stretch. I would think if the race goes off well with Larson rico etc. running it would more likely turn some nascar fans on to open wheel racing.

Plus its stated as being a one shot deal. Why bother. Build it permanent for future specail events.

2 members like this post: dirtball, GickSpeed
6/21/18, 12:23 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I seen overhead of the track being built. It' being built near the turn three Infield Restroom. Way to far from the outside the track grandstand. IDK, 5000 is going to be iffy, however weeknight, No support class? Why not run Mods too and get Schrader and the others who would run them.

SMoke had a hit he just totally threw away when he got the truck race of having current driver come in and drive LM's It was hard for Eldora logistically to get them to the track and a place to stay etc. Indy, Most would already be there or could easily extend it a couple days.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/21/18 at 12:26 PM.

2 members like this post: GickSpeed, nathans1012
6/21/18, 4:24 PM   #25
BrentTFunk

I don't think they will need a support class, in fact I think they may end up with more cars than they actually need. Eldora did not throw away the Prelude. He got the truck race instead. NASCAR and Eldora have both benefitted. It was a sound business decision.

2 members like this post: Dblchkrs, i love dirt track racing
6/21/18, 8:22 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't think they will need a support class, in fact I think they may end up with more cars than they actually need. Eldora did not throw away the Prelude. He got the truck race instead. NASCAR and Eldora have both benefitted. It was a sound business decision.
Powri has events on Fri and Sat that week. I don't see anymore than the Grand Prix drew, Which was a good show but we also had Sprints.

6/21/18, 10:15 PM   #27
R.Drang

It might not be the big race, but it's still Indianapolis. You'll have cars.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/22/18, 6:00 AM   #28
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Powri has events on Fri and Sat that week. I don't see anymore than the Grand Prix drew, Which was a good show but we also had Sprints.
If you want to bet, I say we set the car count number at 39. I will take the over. Let me know if your interested in the under.

6/22/18, 7:21 AM   #29
miledirt

I sure hope it's Friday... Friday night USAC, would hang around Sat to watch Bell and Allgaier in Xfniity and head home

6/22/18, 7:35 AM   #30
Sandy Lowe

It won’t be Friday night (USAC sprints are racing at Gas City).

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PIT CART, racinrich, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Dirt Track Lives