IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC
6/19/18, 1:27 AM   #41
flagboy55

Kyle, I sure get what you're saying about most have already spent the money on cockpit adjustable shocks. I'm not up on shock tech but I wouldn't think that would keep anyone from running a USAC race. I would think that you would be able to disconnect the adjuster and run that shock in one setting for the race. I agree with Brent, I prefer a driver who can adapt with the steering wheel and pedals as opposed to a dial turner.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Kydehart
6/19/18, 6:00 AM   #42
Re: Different winners in USAC
BrentTFunk

As Crankin said in another thread, I don't see how seven different winners in 16 races is too predictable.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Kydehart, WinglessLovers
6/19/18, 7:14 AM   #43
Backitin

I have to wonder out of the guys that have cockpit adjustable shocks how many can actually make improvements while they are racing as opposed to guys that are making their cars worse out on the track. I don't think the shocks are a problem, nor to I think there is a domination problem.
Just a few seasons ago the goat won every national 450 mx moto two years in a row. Thats 48 motos, 48 races that one guy won. I would have to think that is a almost impossible feat, how does one guy have the talent to do that plus the luck of 39 other guys not crashing him in 48 races. Thats domination, thats not happening in sprintcars.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jjones752
6/19/18, 12:42 PM   #44
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Kyle, I sure get what you're saying about most have already spent the money on cockpit adjustable shocks. I'm not up on shock tech but I wouldn't think that would keep anyone from running a USAC race. I would think that you would be able to disconnect the adjuster and run that shock in one setting for the race. I agree with Brent, I prefer a driver who can adapt with the steering wheel and pedals as opposed to a dial turner.
You certainly can disconnect them very quickly and easily. I agree with you too, it isn't keeping anyone from running USAC, but it's also not helping the car count. It's just a moot point. And I understand what you guys are saying about guys getting good on the knobs. I just think more often than not, your really smart crew chiefs are going to be on display now, which is fine. The races have been good either way, I'm not trying to say they're not. I really have no complaints with the whole deal. Just some small opinions of mine that don't really matter. Lol. Hope to see you at a race sometime soon!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, jim goerge
6/19/18, 9:59 PM   #45
racinrich

TMez makes it 8 different winners. I guess their's only one guy on here that can pick the Winner each race.

6/19/18, 11:20 PM   #46
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

T-Mez? That can't possibly happen. Also Timmy Buckwalter was winning till something happened, I don't know what.

1 member likes this post: racinrich
6/20/18, 9:33 AM   #47
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Cant win if you dont show up.Tmez kept showing up.Honorable mention to Andretti ,I hope he keeps showing up. Daum, Damatta,Buckwalter nice effort guys.Thanks for showing up
Last edited by mc/rider; 6/20/18 at 2:05 PM.

6/20/18, 3:35 PM   #48
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I am ok with getting rid of cockpit adjustable shocks. When everyone gets good at turning knobs, there would be less passing.
I don't agree or disagree however...A certain pass at the line I remember very fondly from last season, came from a little knob turning before a restart.

“As soon as it went yellow, I’m like, ‘okay this is perfect,’” Cummins explained. “I was too tight to run the top, but I decided I was going to run the top and forget about the bottom, so I adjusted my shocks to only run the top. On lap 29, I found out it was way faster to run the top. However, he was up in the way, so I tried to dive him and I had to let off going into three or we would’ve collided. That set me up for the next lap. I went up to the top and he didn’t come out as far, allowing me to get around him on the outside. Going into (turn) three, I had my mind set to run all the way around the top. When I saw him, I figured we were going to run into each other coming out of four, so I tried to diamond her down. He got on her and got a little tight. It let me get down, get the power to the ground and get to the checkered flag first.”

6/21/18, 12:32 PM   #49
smiley56

since B main qualifiers get your time back for A main. if your one of the fast qualifiers and starting 5th or 6th in your heat why try to qualify in your heat race and take a chance of crashing and putting extra laps on your engine? when you can start up front in B main with open track in front of you and cruise. plus the track condition
in the B main is closer to the way it will be in the A main and have a better idea how to adjust your car for the A main.

6/21/18, 1:54 PM   #50
Speedmax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley56 View Post
since B main qualifiers get your time back for A main. if your one of the fast qualifiers and starting 5th or 6th in your heat why try to qualify in your heat race and take a chance of crashing and putting extra laps on your engine? when you can start up front in B main with open track in front of you and cruise. plus the track condition
in the B main is closer to the way it will be in the A main and have a better idea how to adjust your car for the A main.
I think B main qualifiers should tag the back of the A main and not get their times back. You are right that generally they get a little more knowledge of track condition. Always enjoyed watching someone who probably should have made it through his heat and failed, but made the back of the A main through the B and watch them move up through the field. As far as adjustable shocks having them or not, as long as it's the same for everybody. I think most still have them and just have the cable adjusters disconnected so driver can't adjust but they adjust the shock before the race. I guess it could open up another discussion on why stop there. Why not take away the air bleeders. most of them are running the electronic ones now and they aren't cheap. Just my thoughts

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC