IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC
6/17/18, 8:28 AM   #1
Different winners in USAC
david mitchell
Banned

Thomas Jr.,Windom,Bacon,and Courtney.Does anyone else win in USAC sprint cars.🤣It seems if you don’t qualify in top six forget about it.If these guys are in top six forget about it.It is becoming rather predictable.Maybe time for a format change.Opinions on alternatives and getting your time back if you transfer through semi.Never understood that one.

6/17/18, 8:52 AM   #2
Re: Different winners in USAC
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Not being sarcastic, But what format changes the best not finishing up front?

I got some ideas for a better overall show and more inclusive to racers Joining rather than staying away. But the racers, crew chiefs and equipment are the best. Tough to beat em.

4 members like this post: Can26, fish, Kingz, motorhead748
6/17/18, 9:14 AM   #3
david mitchell
Banned

It just seems Charles that this season these four are nearly unbeatable.Qualifying is everything in USAC,maybe something to reduce that importance.Not directed specifically at these guys,but something to make overall show better.

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
6/17/18, 9:40 AM   #4
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Well they have lost some good car owners the last two years which has hurt.
As far as the format goes, they used to invert 8 in heat races. CRA used to invert 8 in the feature and Badger midgets inverted 10. That made for great racing.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PIT CART, Sprint63122, TNRustler
6/17/18, 9:40 AM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

The number of different winners was double digits last year. I will bet you we will have double digits this year.

6/17/18, 9:53 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

There are several things I don't like about the USAC format, And Ironically, some of those same things I like.
I like Single Car Qualifying. However I don't like that Fred qualifies third fastest. doesn't transfer but transfers from B and still starts ahead of Joe, who qualified thirteenth but won his heat.

My fix to this, Single car qualifying against your heat, Invert top six.
(Picked by Draw) Top two to Pole dash. 3-5 to b 6-10 to C.
Feature lined up by finish of pole dash and the rest by finish of there heat-Consi.

I think the non adjusters is a epic fail, But showcases the crew chief. If your off, you can't get better.. As much as I was against the adjusters Back when they started becoming popular) Getting rid of them after everyone already has them. was just dumb.

I think every track has a handful of racers that can race up front with them. The problem is they can't go rip a lap half a second faster in qualifying like the guys who do it every race in top equipment so they're starting in back with little chance of getting to the front.

It's a good show and one of the hardest to win at. However without a car count over 28 it really isn't much better than a local show as far as amount of racing and how hard they race. In fact a local show heat finish is mparative. whereas USAC if your running third and had a top five qualifyng speed, what's your incentive to get second or win? I've seen it dozens of times where They knew they were locked and didn't even try to get another spot.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, TQ29m
6/17/18, 10:37 AM   #7
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
There are several things I don't like about the USAC format, And Ironically, some of those same things I like.
I like Single Car Qualifying. However I don't like that Fred qualifies third fastest. doesn't transfer but transfers from B and still starts ahead of Joe, who qualified thirteenth but won his heat.

My fix to this, Single car qualifying against your heat, Invert top six.
(Picked by Draw) Top two to Pole dash. 3-5 to b 6-10 to C.
Feature lined up by finish of pole dash and the rest by finish of there heat-Consi.

I think the non adjusters is a epic fail, But showcases the crew chief. If your off, you can't get better.. As much as I was against the adjusters Back when they started becoming popular) Getting rid of them after everyone already has them. was just dumb.

I think every track has a handful of racers that can race up front with them. The problem is they can't go rip a lap half a second faster in qualifying like the guys who do it every race in top equipment so they're starting in back with little chance of getting to the front.

It's a good show and one of the hardest to win at. However without a car count over 28 it really isn't much better than a local show as far as amount of racing and how hard they race. In fact a local show heat finish is mparative. whereas USAC if your running third and had a top five qualifyng speed, what's your incentive to get second or win? I've seen it dozens of times where They knew they were locked and didn't even try to get another spot.
Chuck,you format you talk about is how the All Stars do it.The only exception is a 4 car invert in the heats.They seem to have good races every time I see them.Getting ready to walk out the door to see the All Stars at the Field.Happy Fathers day everyone.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/17/18, 11:01 AM   #8
JDK222

Maybe participation trophies would help you feel better about USAC? Qualifying is everything in USAC that's the point. There is nothing more pure than single car qualifying. This is where all the pressure is. Will a driver be able to conquer it? Yes track conditions change and bad draws do have some affect but overall it evens out. Almost always a good guy with a late draw will go to the top of the board. Look the cream always rises to the top with this format. If you put Bacon, KT, Sunshine at the tail they will still run through the field and end up at the front. Darland, Bacon, and Ballou are not traditionally strong qualifiers and yet they are racers and get there cars up front. So everything is fine here folks. If you are on your game your car will end up at the front by the end of the night no matter where you start.

7 members like this post: fish, jim goerge, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, ROSS, sp6967, wright59
6/17/18, 11:03 AM   #9
david mitchell
Banned

Everyone seems to be on same page here.Is it because it is Father’s day😂Really,the top six thing is not a deal breaker,but any racing program where the top whatever transfers out of the semi do not start in that order of finish in back is flawed.Can anyone explain any reason for this,regardless of how far fetched.

6/17/18, 11:11 AM   #10
david mitchell
Banned

JDK,while I detest participation trophies and admire your fondness for usac format,I must disagree with your assertion about mentioned drivers starting in back.In 30 lap feature without the help of several yellows these guys would gain many positions,but win ,no.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC