IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Farmer City Next Sunday
7/15/12, 11:37 AM   #1
Farmer City Next Sunday
ThrowbackRacingTeam

After having attended Friday's program featuring non-wing sprint cars I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Actually I had one of the funnest nights I've ever had at a race. Unlike what Pat O'Connor fan said about track prep before this, it turned out to be really good. The support classes only had 15 or less in each so they ran off quick and actually provided great racing with several side by side finishes. The sprint heats were lined up in a way that provided the best races for the fans, even though the promoter claimed it was by draw Speaking of the promoter, I had the pleasure of meeting this guy by chance, and after I told him I drove down from Iowa he generously provided me and my cohort free pit passes along with introducing me to some fine young ladies in the concession stand! He also offered us a ride to the infield to watch the rest of the races with him there! Point is, this guy loves non-wing sprints and is going above and beyond to make it great for the fans. They have a newer track prep guy and the overall "laid back" atmosphere of the track personell reminds me of the "goods ol' days" before there were too many rules and regulations! I can't get into all the details but I absolutely loved this place. I highly recommend attending their next non-wing sprint car race Sunday 7/22.

3 members like this post: Morin Racing 98, mscs20, spicoli
7/15/12, 1:36 PM   #2
lovindirt

So if they are racing again next Sun. what is the payout going to be. And is it going to have an entry fee again?

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: HurstBros0
7/15/12, 2:15 PM   #3
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindirt View Post
So if they are racing again next Sun. what is the payout going to be. And is it going to have an entry fee again?

Posted via Mobile Device
What they have posted is, its the 2nd Annual Terminator 2000. Its the exact same payout, entry fee and rules as Fridays show was.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/15/12, 3:12 PM   #4
Re: Farmer City Next Sunday
MHess

Well that's a shame cuz I know of at least one car that won't pay that kind of entry fee...

1 member likes this post: jdull99
7/18/12, 3:00 AM   #5
farmercitymediaguy

SundayJuly 22 , we have our second annual Terminator race featuring the non winged sprints for 2000 to win, crate late models, hornets 300 to win and street stocks. Racing starts at 6 with hot laps at 530. Prices are 15 at main gate and 30 in the pits.

Sprint payout :
1-2000
2-1000
3-750
4-600
5-550
6-500
7-450
8-375
9-300
10-250
11-20- 200

THere is no tire rule and this event is outlaw. There is a 50 entry fee for this event.

have any questions feel free to call edward at 309-219-5528

7/18/12, 6:52 AM   #6
Al Soran

MHess, we'd like to see you there. How about you get in without any entry fee? Sound good? No sweat. Pay out for you is as follows:

Sprint payout :
1-1950
2-950
3-700
4-550
5-500
6-450
7-400
8-325
9-250
10-200
11-20- 150

Everybody getting it?

2 members like this post: Morin Racing 98, mowerman
7/18/12, 8:24 AM   #7
ChadSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHess View Post
Well that's a shame cuz I know of at least one car that won't pay that kind of entry fee...
Who are you talking about?

Posted via Mobile Device

7/18/12, 9:21 AM   #8
beliles66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSmith View Post
Who are you talking about?

Posted via Mobile Device
Probably himself

Posted via Mobile Device

7/18/12, 10:56 AM   #9
kdobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by beliles66 View Post
Probably himself

Posted via Mobile Device
Unfortunately, he is talking about himself. MHess is in a unique position in that his car owner (me) is also one of the promoters at Jacksonville and one of the people deeply involved in the MOWA effort. I don't tell him where and when he can race, but he's also smart enough to see the long term impact on decisions he makes.

Don't think for a minute that as we have worked to put shows together at Jacksonville and make them viable, that it hasn't been suggested to charge an entry fee for sprint cars. It gets increasingly hard to stay on the 'no entry fee' side of things, when you and your partners can look down the road and see that racers are willing to pay to race.

The same holds true as we are booking tracks for MOWA. As we discuss the cost of the show, more than once I've been asked... 'Can't we charge an entry fee to offset some of this cost?'. Saying "No" gets harder each time racers prove that they will pay to race.

This is nothing at all against Farmer City or Jeff the promoter. I have spoken to him numerous times and find him to be professional and honest in our dealings. I've discussed with him why I personally have to take a stand and not participate in entry fee sprint car races in Illinois. The promoter side of me also understands why they are doing it.

I am sure that at some point we will give up the principled fight and give in and pay the darn fee to race at a nearby track like Farmer City. But when we do, my stance against charging an entry fee at Jacksonville and elsewhere becomes hollow and pretty meaningless. Chances are at that point we will fall in line and start charging entry fees as long as racers repeatedly show that they are willing to pay to race.

Personally, it marks a huge shift in the viability of a Sprint Car race as a show. I grew up in a drag racing family and pretty much local drag racing lost its fan appeal over time and is now supported by racers paying for their own purse to divy up - instead of a fan supported show. I'm just not ready to give up and say that the racers have to carry more of the burden than they already do through somewhat inflated pit passes. Let's do a better job of trying to put on a show that fans will pay to see and give them their money's worth and try to race off of their money instead of the participants.

That's my 2 cents anyway. And maybe I'm just beating my head against a wall and not seeing the trend.

Seriously, best wishes to Farmer City and their show this weekend. Hopefully it is successful enough that the math on the next one doesn't have to involve the entry fee.

7/18/12, 11:33 AM   #10
Pat O'Connor Fan

This is one of the best, most meaningful posts I've seen on IOW in ages. Thanks, kdobson for your continuing efforts.

1 member likes this post: billwill
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Farmer City Next Sunday