IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Len Cockman (Offline)
  #1 1/12/21 12:43 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on 4 wheelers strong enough to push our sprint car to the staging area. We are a low-budget/no budget team and I'm tired of pushing our car up to staging by hand. Thanks, Len
TQ29m (Offline)
  #2 1/12/21 1:26 PM
Len, I had a 90cc 2 stroke I pushed my TQ with, I had geared it down, chain drive, easy to do, and I pushed a lot of Sprints at different tracks with it, it was a YerfDog, Cheena built, light weight, small physical size, and it's still at it, a 4cycle didn't have the guts, just my 2 cents answer. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
badcoupe (Online)
  #3 1/12/21 2:10 PM
If you’re not wanting to be able to start with it any quad will do the little china ones etc. a good 250 Honda or a 300 of any brand would suffice. The little China jobs work well too and can usually be bought for next nothing. If you’re slightly mech inclined they’re super easy to fix if you find one that doesn’t start really cheap. Parts are crazy cheap too
Offroadrace_814 (Online)
  #4 1/12/21 2:39 PM
I see that you are from Indiana. As well as I am. The Four Wheeler market in Indiana is a hot bed. As Indiana is a hot bed for off-road cross country style racing. With four local series and one regional (national) series visiting the state twice.

As I am an off road racer myself.
kendirt (Offline)
  #5 1/12/21 7:02 PM
Looked for quite a while and finally got a running/riding 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 with a snow plow for $1500. It's an old farm quad so it's no beauty queen, but it's never been ridden hard.

I see Kawasaki Bayous for sale sub-$1000 all the time. Most of them are 2wd but big enough machines that with decent rear tires they'll do all the pushing you need.
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #6 1/13/21 10:09 AM
I suggested using a riding lawn mower, seen a few for around $200 to $500, weld up a push bar & go, may look dumb but you're not pushing by hand either
TQ29m (Offline)
  #7 1/13/21 10:34 AM
Ha, I even went that route myself, as I was in the business, something usually gets left behind, I converted a Husqvarna 14hp hydrostat to push with, like Bad Dad said, looked goofy, but when you don't have the cash, open trailer, carried it in the pickup bed, got a lot of lawn chair watchers, watching my load and unload routine, I even put a nice old Honda 750 seat on it, did the job, just a lot of extra work with the dismount.

Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #8 1/13/21 11:53 PM
Bolt a high back kitchen chair on it, really go hillbilly
TQ29m (Offline)
  #9 1/14/21 8:14 AM
We looked like the Beverly hillbillies when we moved in anyway, at Columbus one night, Ed Carpenter pitted next to us, and I said there goes the neighborhood, and I thought we were going to have oxygen brought in, it almost got out of hand, what a fun night.

2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, jonboat15
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #10 1/14/21 10:51 AM
When I had. A car we used a Suzuki 185.& it did fine. Later I had a golf cart. Also did well with the big advantage being anyone could drive it with zero training.