IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
team3521 (Offline)
  #91 9/8/11 9:43 PM
WOW! This topic is way off course! I know that's why Don has given up here! I applaud him for trying to make a difference! No one else has the balls to hang their name out there and tell it like it is! This topic is about Midgets and getting them back on track. NOT opening the rules for TQ or a mini sprint to join in for the namesake of "midgets" You have your own classes to run.

c47, Where do you get your information? Esslingers are 161 cubic inches. They were allowed 6 extra cubic inches I don't know, 5 years ago? because Dan had lobbied USAC for it. Then shortly after he got the ci's, he said oh, look what I found, a new head for my motors and the rest is all well known. Fontana also at that point got some ci's too and that was good for them because it made them more competitive. Anyway, push rod motors are NOT obsolescent! Toyota is still a push rod motor? Fontana is still push rod motor? Mopar is a push rod motor? They are all still competitive with the Esslinger and are all winning races. Do I feel the playing field is fair in USAC midgets? Hell no! They need to make further corrections like the failed attempt with their rev limiter but make it work this time to even thinhs up a little bit.

Now, the motor restrictions would be a good start, and yes, I think that is where they should start. That and the weight issue, but like I said in a previous post. The tires are what in my opinion need to be attacked. USAC needs to eliminate the tire deal they have established and NO! I do NOT think those deals are good for the sport! USAC needs to go to Hoosier and tell them, this is what we are going to pay for these tires and not one penny more. If you choose to say no, then there are many many other companies that would love to have the deal that Hoosier tire does. American Racer, Goodyear, etc... and I'm talking all three divisions of USAC, pavement and dirt. Drive the prices down and you will see more cars race again. USAC also needs to curb their greed as well in my opinion. (Like what JDull99 I believe posted) stop making the driver buy a pit pass and pay an entry fee too? All of it adds up!!.... That's just part of reasons for what keeps me in the stands or at home and not out racing, doing what I love!

By the way, I agree with every single post that Don has posted on this subject.
mortboyz
  #92 9/8/11 10:03 PM
Attention in the pit area........Attention in the pit area........

Will Kevin Miller, Kenny Brown, Jim Siner, and a representative from BADGER please report to the beer stand please!!
4 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, jdull99, jim goerge, K-Dawg30
F5 Racer (Offline)
  #93 9/8/11 10:25 PM
This all is the reason I am probably sticking with racing crate late models. I was super excited about racing midgets next year but there's no way I can afford to be competitive. Please I hope they get this figured out!
Posted via Mobile Device
PAW (Offline)
  #94 9/8/11 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
I see that Montpelier has cancelled the remaining D1 midget races. When are the midget orgs going to decide that the present formula for midget racing is not working? There are new generation midget engines available right now for $10-12,000 that last for up to 3 years without a rebuild. Over two years ago I heard Kevin Miller on the D.O. radio show say that this is what is needed. So why aren't these engines IN THE CARS RIGHT NOW??? Spending $7900 for a current engine rebuild isn't far from spending $10-12,000 for a brand new cheap engine. When will all the midget orgs put ******** aside and start wilh a clean sheet of paper for midgets?

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Give it up

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Give it up,damm

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
c47 (Offline)
  #95 9/8/11 11:41 PM
"c47, Where do you get your information? Esslingers are 161 cubic inches."

please re read my post carefully. you completely missed facts AND the point.
DonMoore10 (Offline)
  #96 9/9/11 12:01 AM
I won't be giving up anytime, thanks. For those that read the NATIONAL PARTS PEDDLER NEWSPAPER, you may want to check out the ad by Tobias Speedsters of Myerstown, PA. Rich Tobias has always been on the innovative side of life and here is what is tooted in the ad: There is a pic of one of Tobias' "speedsters" which looks a lot like a dirt midget with a wing. If fact it really does look like a midget. Now you can buy one of his open wheel cars for $16,900 and it includes everything.. yeah.. everything ready for the track, IOWheelers. Furthermore, he says you can afford this!! Hm... I'm adding up the cost of a new midget ready for the track and I'm coming up with $38,000 for a new Spike with the $22,000 (please buy me so we can drive midget racing further into the ground) exotic engine. No rev limiters, BTW mentioned in the ad. Well....Apparently he's not buying the nonsense that a $22,000 engine is going to revive midget type racing. Would you please stand up and take a bow, Rich!!!

And it gets better: If you're the winner of a race, you get $2000!!! hahah Nice! Another home run here. Hang on now.. it still gets better. They have 22 USA races... and... and.. 18 Canadian shows plus 5 new races at New Egypt, NJ Speedway. Mind you, this has all developed in the last few years while the midget brains have been telling everyone that the $22,000 engine is a bargain. Congrats to Rich Tobias!!!! Obviously he's not being lead by the nose by all the midget parts manufacturers. Congrats again, Man!!
2 Likes: Bradleyracing86, Russ
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #97 9/9/11 2:14 AM
As long as we're changing all the rules let's get rid of down tubes and all the ugly body work on the side if the cages and open up the **** pits! You may laugh but we had ten times the amount of fans talk to us afterwards in the pits than we ever did once we switched to the modern style. The show is for the fans not the owners or sanctioning body. You have to keep in mind the crowd you're playing to or they'll just stop coming. I know I don't get as excited about going to see them as I used to for asthetic reasons alone. Then throw in dismal car counts and the same three USAC guys always win and it just isn't a must see for me like it used to be and that's depressing. As a competitor I'm willing to run the car however the fans like but I'm about the only one left and I don't have a ride now because most of the owners either quit or are too old or dead. Not enough new ones to replace the oldtimers from the 50's and 60's. USAC needs to seriously reform midget rules but they won't because they think it'll be fine again when the economy comes back. Good luck with that.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #98 9/9/11 7:53 AM
Originally Posted by c47:
the only rule that i can think of is motor restrictions. that rule was made to keep the same thing from happening to ardc as what happened to usac, nema and, i guess you could throw most everyone else in there as well.....the obsolescence of the pushrod midget motor.....and the manufacturers changing the rules when something faster comes along. (read as cost savings and more racers at the track)
the only restrictions on motors are that the esslingers have to be small blocks and nothing over 166ci. that leaves it open for mopars, hawks, and yes, even the toyota (so far)

as far as mr buckwalter....the motor he runs in the midwest is not the same as the one he runs with the club. he probably couldnt afford to run it at the club level cause with the extra HP comes less reliablity and more frequent rebuilds and, frankly, he doesnt need the extra HP to win with the club.....he wins with his setups, driving and smoothness.

i personally dont see the point in having a field of cars where 95% of them have the same chassis and motor....plug in a driver and bolt the right pedal to the floor and see who wins.....racing is suppose to be about staying within a certain set of guidelines but having the latitude to make changes and be a little different. i dont see a whole lot of that anymore. and its a shame.
Thanks for that reply. I was wrong to say Spec but the series does open it up a bit and make things more reliable. The last time I seen Steves Car at Sprint week he was running a Don Ott plant, Somewhat unknown around here but not unheard of.

Someone else said that USAC set the limiters near what the tracks toppped out at anyway. Well I heard em going off at all three tracks I went too. I also noticed a lot less detinations going on and more cars finishing the races. I don't know for certain but whose to say the top teams wont or don't try a taller gear and wind em a bit tighter?

The good drivers and teams won anyway for the most part, So whats the big deal on not running them if they'll cut down a rebuild or two a season.

Charles Nungester
backitin
  #99 9/9/11 8:32 AM
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam:
As long as we're changing all the rules let's get rid of down tubes and all the ugly body work on the side if the cages and open up the **** pits! You may laugh but we had ten times the amount of fans talk to us afterwards in the pits than we ever did once we switched to the modern style. The show is for the fans not the owners or sanctioning body. You have to keep in mind the crowd you're playing to or they'll just stop coming. I know I don't get as excited about going to see them as I used to for asthetic reasons alone. Then throw in dismal car counts and the same three USAC guys always win and it just isn't a must see for me like it used to be and that's depressing. As a competitor I'm willing to run the car however the fans like but I'm about the only one left and I don't have a ride now because most of the owners either quit or are too old or dead. Not enough new ones to replace the oldtimers from the 50's and 60's. USAC needs to seriously reform midget rules but they won't because they think it'll be fine again when the economy comes back. Good luck with that.
I dont agree with losing the downtubes, but the rest of your thinking is like mine. My car was originally without downtubes and all I could see happening was me laying on it's side in the middle of the track and have someone hit the cage in the front. With downtubes the force gets skipped over the cage, without your cage can be sheared off. I'd probley still like modifieds if it wasnt for all the bodywork, sail panels, ect.
c47 (Offline)
  #100 9/9/11 8:42 AM
don ott is HUGE when it comes to sprint car motors. he does steves winged car stuff and they are friends so he builds steves midget motors as well.....but unless you have a huge checkbook to make it worthwile, he generally wont touch midget motors.
Closed Thread