IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA "Allen Ruppenthal Memorial" 9-14-13
9/10/13, 6:46 PM   #1
MMSA "Allen Ruppenthal Memorial" 9-14-13
Bill May

The MMSA "Winged Warrior Tour" will present the 3rd annual "Allen Ruppenthal Memorial" race this sat. Sept 14th at the Brownstown, IN speedway, check the MMSA website for details, Special race format.

All 1,000cc Upright Mini sprints (600's too) are welcome.

Bill May

9/11/13, 9:27 PM   #2
Re: MMSA "Allen Ruppenthal Memorial" 9-14-13
Mike M 67

Bill

Mensendiek's Auction Service and Real Estate is willing to put up a $200.00 Bonus to the Driver that can beat and set the new track record for mini sprints at Brownstown speedway.

The current track record is 13.870 set by Aaron Farney in 2012

If it is Okay with you. You are the race director. your call.

Mike

3 members like this post: Bill May, Bradleyracing86, DAD
9/11/13, 9:34 PM   #3
Bill May

Thanks Mike, something extra for the racers is always appreciated.

Bill May

9/12/13, 12:35 AM   #4
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M 67 View Post
Bill

Mensendiek's Auction Service and Real Estate is willing to put up a $200.00 Bonus to the Driver that can beat and set the new track record for mini sprints at Brownstown speedway.

The current track record is 13.870 set by Aaron Farney in 2012

If it is Okay with you. You are the race director. your call.

Mike

Brownstown Speedway Track records:

Winged 410 sprints >>>>>>>>>>>> 12.404 seconds>>>>>>>>> set 6/2/1999

Late Models >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 13.546 seconds>>>>>>>>> set 4/1/2006

410 Sprints >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 13.859 seconds >>>>>>>>> set 3/30/2013

Mini Sprints >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 13.870 seconds >>>>>>>>> set 3/30/2013

So just a little more than 3 tenths of a second quicker and the mini sprints would be the second fastest class of race car to have ever raced at Brownstown Speedway.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/12/13 at 12:47 AM.

9/12/13, 10:52 AM   #5
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Let me race i can beat that time.

9/12/13, 11:10 AM   #6
Bradleyracing86

No one has to "let" you do anything. Bring a car out that meets the rules and race.

It's not like you have to ask permission.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 9/12/13 at 11:11 AM.

9/12/13, 12:07 PM   #7
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Hey Bradley im just going to take the weekend off. Its just not worth the 3 hour drive.

1 member likes this post: Bradleyracing86
9/12/13, 12:54 PM   #8
DAD

We have been in and out of more mini sprints racing groups than I can remember. In the 80"s when mini sprints were just getting off the ground Allen started a business to build race cars and sell parts to the racers. He named his operation ERC I think stood for Economy Racing Components. Allen's Idea was to try and take the expense out of racing. He built a chassis and provided parts at an affordable price. I guess that is why there are so many of those ERC race cars still out there racing. In the late 80's and early 90's the 1200cc cars were spending their way out of existence. Allen chose to support the new baby class of 600cc uprights. These cars were powered by the good old little Honda F2 engine. The motors were cheep and with the new intergral cylinder and 4 valve technology they were dynamite. When the Yamaha r1 came out Allen saw another chance to help the sport grow and his pocket book. This was when the AMSA was having problems getting cars because everybody thought that if the motor did not come from Hank Scott or Orient express there was no need racing.

Allen built a car with an R-1 in it. I can still remember his first practice run at Salem. His driver started on the tale and soon started walking away from the 600cc cars, one problem his driver/mechanic did not tighten the front sprocket and the sprocket fell off.

Allen took this car and driver and started running with the AMSA and Jerry. Well in short order he was out racing all those high dollar motors and low and behold the AMSA started to grow again, all because of that lone little R1. More and more people were getting into mini sprints because they were inexpensive and very fast.

There is not a lot a motor builder can do to one of these motors that a good driver and chassis can't compensate for. When you make them all power and peaky, when you put them on a slick track there are a few racers out there that will just drive around these HOT ROD motors. Those Super motors are for the big "E" and that track is not on the program any more.

Spiker's RACE Motors don't impress me a bit, but to people just getting into the sport tend to believe whatever you tell them. When they here about the "SPIKER SUPER DUPER HOT ROD MOTOR" it tends to scare them off. Spiker does not need a super motor to win with. They do need a good car and driver but that old high priced motor is just "GLITTERING BULL SH1T" to me and a lot of other good racers.

If I was in the business of selling race cars and motors I would want my customers to see me win with the same stuff I sold them. That is exactly what Allen did. Take his business model and apply it to your business plans and you could go far, and maybe some day get a race in your honor.

Allen and I had our disagreements over the years but we both believed that mini sprints could be and are the fastest and cheapest way to go open wheel racing.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/12/13 at 1:09 PM.

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
9/12/13, 1:03 PM   #9
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Your right on with this post DAD!! I dont need a big HOT ROD ENGINE to win. I can drive any car and win.

9/12/13, 1:11 PM   #10
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
Your right on with this post DAD!! I dont need a big HOT ROD ENGINE to win. I can drive any car and win.
SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MMSA "Allen Ruppenthal Memorial" 9-14-13