IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tuning by exhaust temp?
9/11/13, 4:42 PM   #1
Tuning by exhaust temp?
PatrickMead#13

Used to datalog our turbo cars and tune them by the egt. Has or does anyone do this with methanol? Thanks

9/11/13, 8:09 PM   #2
Re: Tuning by exhaust temp?
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13 View Post
Used to datalog our turbo cars and tune them by the egt. Has or does anyone do this with methanol? Thanks
We tried years ago and a good temp on a 600cc motor on gas was 1200+ degrees F. Kinda of scary.

Best tune will come with 4 gas machine, the second best is Oxygen sensor with a good tight exhaust system.

We do have Digitron gauge set up to read 4 ex temps at one time + rpm, +pres. Would be interested in selling.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/11/13 at 8:16 PM.

9/11/13, 8:16 PM   #3
badcoupe

egt's are okay but a wideband setup will work better, datalog vs rpm vs throttle position will help you dial the map in just right

9/12/13, 4:24 PM   #4
PatrickMead#13

Are there any particular wide band setup that works well with methanol over the other?

9/12/13, 4:43 PM   #5
DAD

We use a dyno-jet. They have methanol software. Make sure your headers are not leaking make sure you plug the air injector ports on the air injection system. One little pin hole will show up in your readings and give you a false lean.

Honest Dad himself

9/12/13, 5:23 PM   #6
badcoupe

I use innovate personally they have a nice interface programmable outputs etc. I have one permanently installed in my turbo Porsche and one that I install on vehicles when I tune them

9/12/13, 6:55 PM   #7
PatrickMead#13

Good info and I greatly appreciate the responses. I'm starting to run a 2006 rosson injected r1 and all this injection stuff is new to me. I always ran pump gas and carbs in my other cars and it was easy to tune and get dialed in. Now I'm just trying to protect my investment as best as I can and learn as much as I can.

9/12/13, 7:12 PM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Good info and I greatly appreciate the responses. I'm starting to run a 2006 rosson injected r1 and all this injection stuff is new to me. I always ran pump gas and carbs in my other cars and it was easy to tune and get dialed in. Now I'm just trying to protect my investment as best as I can and learn as much as I can.
Methanol is easier to tune to than gasoline. Remember too rich is good with methanol you won't loose as much power as with a gasoline by rich setting. You can be 20% rich and still run ok on alky 10% on gasoline and you will blubber and run like crap. Get alky 5% lean and you make an aluminum foundry inside your motor. So when it runs good don't go lean looking for more power it just ain't there.

We do a lot of tuning with fuel pressure. More pres. is rich less is lean works just fine but remember it works everywhere idle to WOT. That is why they have maps and that is why electronic injection is better than mechanical.

Honest Dad himself

9/12/13, 8:31 PM   #9
PatrickMead#13

I was told to shoot for 45-50psi was a good starting point. Sound about right?

9/13/13, 12:14 AM   #10
DAD

Quote:
I was told to shoot for 45-50psi was a good starting point. Sound about right?
????? not enough info.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tuning by exhaust temp?