IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Taking Over The Helm Of GC...
1/5/24, 12:08 PM   #11
Re: Taking Over The Helm Of GC...
BrentTFunk

I just hope that whoever takes it over goes back to the formula that Jiggs used to put Gas City on the map. No more than 3 classes for weekly shows, and an efficient, tight run program. For the teams that did nothing but complain and stir problems, I hope they race at Lima on Fridays.

1/5/24, 12:33 PM   #12
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Florida trip next month BTF?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
1/5/24, 12:38 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Florida trip next month BTF?
Not this year. Have surgery next Friday, probably another in a month. My first racing will probably be Terre Haute/ Red Hill in April. May do No Way Out at Paragon, but $1000 to win for mods may keep me away if it is not a real nice day.

5 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, mlamb, oppweld, tirespinner
1/5/24, 12:50 PM   #14
Speedmax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I just hope that whoever takes it over goes back to the formula that Jiggs used to put Gas City on the map. No more than 3 classes for weekly shows, and an efficient, tight run program. For the teams that did nothing but complain and stir problems, I hope they race at Lima on Fridays.
Brent, let me say this, his promotion of Gas City didn't start well and never really got any better. There were constant issues which began from his promotion of Montpelier. He was let go there because he owed the owner money and didn't payoff at the end of the year points. The two tracks are in close proximity so several of those teams had also run at Gas City in the support classes. A lot of those guys chose to not support Gas City because of issues at Montpelier. He changed the entire program of hot laps, qualifying, and the redraw which was his right as promoter but few were on board with. He basically told some sprint car teams during a drivers meeting as they brought up the super bad track conditions early in his tenure to shut up or go somewhere else. That alone kind of set the tone going forward. You can ask the Gas City track champion if he ever got paid for his points championship and that would be a no. Crouds really dwindled and I doubt he made any money except the USAC shows when the place was packed. When the new promoter makes his announcement you will see a lot of the program return and hopefully he can get the cars and fans back. I love Gas City and did not want it to close and wish the new promoter well.

1/5/24, 1:20 PM   #15
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmax3 View Post
Brent, let me say this, his promotion of Gas City didn't start well and never really got any better. There were constant issues which began from his promotion of Montpelier. He was let go there because he owed the owner money and didn't payoff at the end of the year points. The two tracks are in close proximity so several of those teams had also run at Gas City in the support classes. A lot of those guys chose to not support Gas City because of issues at Montpelier. He changed the entire program of hot laps, qualifying, and the redraw which was his right as promoter but few were on board with. He basically told some sprint car teams during a drivers meeting as they brought up the super bad track conditions early in his tenure to shut up or go somewhere else. That alone kind of set the tone going forward. You can ask the Gas City track champion if he ever got paid for his points championship and that would be a no. Crouds really dwindled and I doubt he made any money except the USAC shows when the place was packed. When the new promoter makes his announcement you will see a lot of the program return and hopefully he can get the cars and fans back. I love Gas City and did not want it to close and wish the new promoter well.
Gas City has always been a favorite of mine. I think it is the best track in America without a crash wall. I used to work there for Jiggs and also worked at Kokomo in the 90's. There are always people who tear down tracks. When I worked at Kokomo there was a team that constantly complained. They complained about the purse, track conditions, even how many hot laps they got compared to the sprint cars.
One night we noticed that none of them had wristbands on. We checked every trailer going into the pits the next week. The 2 teams that complained the most, had 5 and 7 people hid in their trailers. Ironically, they complained about getting caught. Said if we paid more, they wouldn't have to sneak in.
With what Larry was handed, I thought he did ok. For MidgetWeek 2 years ago he went above and beyond with the rainout policy. Always has been drama at Montpeliar, and probably always will be. Whoever takes it over, I will support them as much as I can.

1/9/24, 2:27 PM   #16
DirtTrackTherapy16J

An announcement was made approximately an hour ago on Gas City I69 Speedway's social media page that the track WILL BE under new management in 2024!!!!!!!!!! Best news I've seen today!!!!

Furthermore comments have been turned off on the page as it does not state the name(s) of the person(s) taking over as new management but does state more announcements will be coming.

1/9/24, 2:54 PM   #17
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Not this year. Have surgery next Friday, probably another in a month. My first racing will probably be Terre Haute/ Red Hill in April. May do No Way Out at Paragon, but $1000 to win for mods may keep me away if it is not a real nice day.
Hope all goes well for you and you get back to the track ASAP. I should be at those 3 races as well.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing
1/10/24, 7:00 AM   #18
hoscalecody

Thing is a lot of people bash Larry. Way I look at it, out of everyone I talked to. It didn't sound like anyone, but Larry was even considering promoting GC when Jerry left. So if Larry didn't promote it, there could've been a good chance it was closed down for them 2 years or more. Also people seem to not understand Larry has his own money into the track. Anyone that promotes a track does, It's not free to promote a track and most everyone i've ever talked to that does weekly stuff all year. Usually they start losing decent bit of money.

One of my biggest complaints with GC, which is why we didn't go very often. Seems like the place always was pretty rough. No matter who was promoting or what the weather was like.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 1/10/24 at 7:03 AM.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, BrentTFunk, mc/rider
1/11/24, 11:03 AM   #19
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
Thing is a lot of people bash Larry. Way I look at it, out of everyone I talked to. It didn't sound like anyone, but Larry was even considering promoting GC when Jerry left. So if Larry didn't promote it, there could've been a good chance it was closed down for them 2 years or more. Also, people seem to not understand Larry has his own money into the track. Anyone that promotes a track does, It's not free to promote a track and most everyone i've ever talked to that does weekly stuff all year. Usually, they start losing decent bit of money.
I agree. The guy saves 2 tracks, and people act like he just shot their puppy. I would be willing to bet, that the same people who complained about Larry will be the same people who will complain about the next person who takes over.
I did notice that even though there was plenty of opportunity for a complainer to take over, none were willing to do it. The reason why is it is a lot of hard work, and not a big financial reward.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, Carl49, TNRustler
1/11/24, 11:22 AM   #20
B99

Quote:
I agree. The guy saves 2 tracks, and people act like he just shot their puppy. I would be willing to bet, that the same people who complained about Larry will be the same people who will complain about the next person who takes over.
I did notice that even though there was plenty of opportunity for a complainer to take over, none were willing to do it. The reason why is it is a lot of hard work, and not a big financial reward.
You just might be too smart to be a member of an internet forum. Too much logic and reason.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, Hustlin-Hoosier, TBONE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Taking Over The Helm Of GC...