IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Taking Over The Helm Of GC...
12/27/23, 2:05 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

First, I'd like to wish everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday Season. Secondly, this is a long read. Dont want to read it, keep scrolling, no problem. Third, I am not posting this thread to start drama, problems, or bash anyone. Fourth, as always I could care less how many likes I get, I'm not on here for attention, I get more attention then I want without social media on most days. Lastly, I'm only making this thread as it involves the potential future of one of our beloved Indiana tracks. With that said, let's go.

Gas City I69 Speedway use to be my 2nd favorite track, with Kokomo Speedway being #1 and that will never change. GC use to be booming, hopping, thriving, just an awesome awesome place for all ages including families. Even regular weekly racing the place was jam packed, sometimes tough to find a good seat and having to park clear in the back of the grass back by the tractor dealership.

Mr. Gappens had the place at an incredible high level of racing, the atmosphere was awesome, and lots of fun!! Huge car counts, huge attendance numbers. Things happen in life, things change in life, and an opportunity arose for Mr. Gappens and his family and he took it in which who wouldn't? I dont know anyone that wouldn't have taken it.

So in comes a new promoter, considered by some as a veteran promoter. Over the course of the last 2 years things have not went well outside of USAC shows. Some will disagree, most would agree. Take a survey of 100 random people between teams, drivers, fans, and employees and you can be assure 80% or better would say GC has significantly went down hill. Our racing family/group consists of 15-20 people any given race. Last year only 2-3 of us would go to GC to watch a race. Huge drop off just in one family/group.

I consider GC one of the best 1/4 mile tracks in the nation that does not have a wall. Most of the track doesnt have a wall for those who havent been there. These types of tracks I have learned are better for weekly racing vs tracks with walls. I know alot of people think weekly racing is going away, maybe it is, maybe it's not.

Last year at GC something different was tried, less races, more specialty races, new awards, new trophies, new races, 10-12 race season, still didnt pan out, again outside of USAC shows. Lots of fans and teams and drivers travel the USAC circuit so those shows will generally produce regardless of what track.

USAC 2024 schedules have been released. Gas City remains on the schedule for Midget Week, Sprint Week, and James Dean Classic. That's good news the track is staying open to some degree being operated and promoted by someone.

However, over the last 2 days, I received some information that I consider a late Christmas gift. 2 different people with ties to Gas City I69 Speedway who do not know each other, in one way shape form or another, with the exact same story, exact same names, stating a new team may be taking over the helm at GC, a pair of gentleman operating as a team.

I will not say who those 2 gentleman are, I will not say who my 2 sources are, ask away but I will not answer. I'm not that type of person who throws people's names out. Say it's not true all you want bc I wont give names or sources, that's fine too. I know my sources are very credible and the stories I was told makes perfect sense. Stay tuned, maybe they will make an announcement after the first of the new year and this becomes true public knowledge and hopefully the track comes back to the way it was just a few years ago!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/27/23 at 2:08 PM.

12/27/23, 3:49 PM   #2
Re: Taking Over The Helm Of GC...
Speedmax3

I know over the past couple of years rumors have swirled about Gas City since Jerry left. I don't know Larry Boos but had not heard good things about his departure from Montpelier so I was concerned about his promotion of Gas City. I do know that in conversations I had with Jerry that at some point he might have to consider cutting back on some races in that August, September time frame because of attendance falling due to a number of reasons so I was not surprised when Larry went away from a weekly show. Larry's promotion of Gas City in my opinion would be considered a disappointment by most. He could draw a crowd for the USAC shows but most weekly shows were a struggle including having a decent amount of cars for the support classes. I am encouraged to hear that there could be differant promotors taking over. Gas City is a great facility and it would be so disappointing if it closed again.

6 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Grocery Guy, Jaxsom, oppweld, PIT CART, sc17x
12/27/23, 5:32 PM   #3
stockracer

If your talking Goodnight and Benic not much of a secret...if someone else, then you might have a secret..
Last edited by stockracer; 12/27/23 at 5:34 PM.

5 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Grocery Guy, oppweld, PIT CART, TQ97
12/27/23, 6:06 PM   #4
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockracer View Post
If your talking Goodnight and Benic not much of a secret...if someone else, then you might have a secret..
It's not about being a secret to me. Although I feel very strong about my sources, I am a 41 year old adult man and I do not throw out names without knowing whether its 100% true or not.

At this time what I was told has not been made official, therefore to me it's not 100% true as of yet, but again I feel very strong about what I was told. I simply am excited about what I was told and the possibility of the direction the track may be headed in the near future, including but not limited to an upswing from the past couple of years and felt I would share it on here.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
12/27/23, 8:43 PM   #5
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
It's not about being a secret to me. Although I feel very strong about my sources, I am a 41 year old adult man and I do not throw out names without knowing whether its 100% true or not.

At this time what I was told has not been made official, therefore to me it's not 100% true as of yet, but again I feel very strong about what I was told. I simply am excited about what I was told and the possibility of the direction the track may be headed in the near future, including but not limited to an upswing from the past couple of years and felt I would share it on here.
This whole post is a circular reference from the initial post. To paraphrase you: “I have information and if you dont like it , move on. I’m not here for attention, but Oh by the way I’m not going to tell you what I know.” SMH 🤷🏻

My advice to you for future reference is to not make a public post if you aren’t convicted in your information. Maybe the best thing you can do isn’t to put it on IOW???

Been privy to a lot of sensitive information for years. Just ask my circle. A 6 Pack of beer and we’ve all been then wiser without collateral damage.
Worst thing I can do is make a post about it because it only backfires on you.
Last edited by Kart#51; 12/27/23 at 8:53 PM.

12/27/23, 8:58 PM   #6
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Very well said.👍👍 Way too much drama.
Last edited by Dirtfan; 12/27/23 at 9:01 PM.

12/27/23, 9:20 PM   #7
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Very well said.👍👍 Way too much drama.
You got that right brother! LMAO…

12/27/23, 10:50 PM   #8
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Maybe theres other therapys to be considered

12/27/23, 11:47 PM   #9
kinser

Larry has a history, just look at the tracks he has promoted and has been ran off from. IMO Jerry did a great job at Gas City. I heard some people bash him when he was promoting Gas City but you know you can’t make everyone happy.

1/4/24, 4:35 PM   #10
Speedmax3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
Larry has a history, just look at the tracks he has promoted and has been ran off from. IMO Jerry did a great job at Gas City. I heard some people bash him when he was promoting Gas City but you know you can’t make everyone happy.
You are correct, Larry does have a history and you can add Gas City to that history. He is gone as promoter at Gas City and the announcement of who is taking over is coming soon.

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, mc/rider, nodramazone20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Taking Over The Helm Of GC...