Race Count This Year: 42

Well stated Mr Openwheelfan1

2/19/18, 1:46 PM   #52
Re: Bubba USAC Night 1
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Okay, I have been in attendance all 3 nights at BRP for the USAC shows and we attended all nights of the WoO shows at Volusia. Yeah, I know...sacrilegious to attend WoO andbe on this board, but we enjoy them too. Anyway, the race Thursday night wasn’t the best race I’ve seen in the 50 years I’ve been going to races, but it was far, far from the worst. Yes, the track rubbered up, but the racing was pretty good overall. Tyler Courtney dominated Friday and again tonight, but the racing was good through the field.

Volusia was a hammer down parade Friday night except for Donny Schatz. Saturday had some passing, and Sunday the track slicked off and had passing throughout the field, Donny Schatz again being the exception. As far as food, a hamburger is $5 both places, drinks are $3 both tracks and most other food items are comparibly priced.

The show Thursday night at BRP had its hitches, but a lot of it I can’t blame on USAC. Everyone seemed to have a case of the first night yips. Now Friday night’s debacle (the sprint feature checkered just before midnight) I place on USAC’s shoulders. They redeemed themselves tonight, with the checkers falling at about 10:00 PM. Now, in fairness, I’ve been to WoO shows where we’ve been in our car on the way home at 10, and I’ve been to shows where it’s been 1:00 AM (no weather, just poorly run).

The point of all this is not every race is going to be the race of the year. You take the good with the bad and enjoy the fact you aren’t up to your waist in snow and ice in February!
Well from my first timer POV, I loved what I saw at BRP. Was it the kind of show you'd expect at Kokomo or Lincoln Park? No, but its not the same kind of surface that no amount of water would change. This far south we have much more sand content and black slick is very common and usually sought after as oppossed to the "Dry Sand blaster" you can get, which sucks because you can't see and the racing is usually single file. BRP was not single file. Ballou came from like 12th in the A upto 3rd before Windom got back by and shuffled him back to 5th. Andretti came from 18th(I think) to 2nd in the B after breaking a cam in qualifying. We don't get a cushion, that's just the way it is, but black slick takes a whole different skill set than Kokomo, but thats what makes dirt racing better than asphalt, IMHO. I'm new to sprints and I loved the whole thing and prices were in line with every other special event I go to for DLM, so... IMO, the OP was trying to bash NW and told some outright lies hoping no one would call him on them, but I couldn't let that slide. I will go back and i plan to make my way from Georgia to Indiana soon to see what thats like and then on the Missouri to see WAR in action.

1 member likes this post: openwheelfan1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bubba USAC Night 1