IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My first non wing sprint race
2/16/18, 1:52 PM   #1
My first non wing sprint race
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Saw my first non wing race ever last night at Bubba. Loved it, did not disappoint. Can’t say the same for my motel. 30 years of DLM races and none compare to what I saw last night. Awesome!

2/16/18, 2:39 PM   #2
Re: My first non wing sprint race
speed bump

Non wings are usually like that ..especially USAC.....and KOKOMO every Sunday night...

6 members like this post: Billythekid16, dirtball, duel, nathans1012, racenut69, stp6237
2/16/18, 3:37 PM   #3
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
Saw my first non wing race ever last night at Bubba. Loved it, did not disappoint. Can’t say the same for my motel. 30 years of DLM races and none compare to what I saw last night. Awesome!
I'm surprised (thats its your first), cause you're on here a lot....
I only started going to sprint car races 8 yrs. ago. At first, I wanted to see winged cars on big tracks. Seeing videos of Kokomo dogfights got me curious about "traditional' cars. My first visit to Haubstadt (On the way to Knoxville Nats) convinced me. Now I try to get to Indiana a couple of times each year, plus Eastern Storm & USAC midgets Eastern swing... prefer wingless on a bullring now...

5 members like this post: duel, dwhitney1169, jim goerge, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan
2/16/18, 4:09 PM   #4
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I'm surprised (thats its your first), cause you're on here a lot....
I only started going to sprint car races 8 yrs. ago. At first, I wanted to see winged cars on big tracks. Seeing videos of Kokomo dogfights got me curious about "traditional' cars. My first visit to Haubstadt (On the way to Knoxville Nats) convinced me. Now I try to get to Indiana a couple of times each year, plus Eastern Storm & USAC midgets Eastern swing... prefer wingless on a bullring now...
Yea, I discovered non wing on Lucas tv dirty 30. I came here to try and educate myself because after 30 years involvement with DLM I no longer enjoyed where it was going. Non wing rekindled my excitement and I don’t go halfway. Lol.

2/16/18, 9:45 PM   #5
revjimk

Quote:
Yea, I discovered non wing on Lucas tv dirty 30. I came here to try and educate myself because after 30 years involvement with DLM I no longer enjoyed where it was going. Non wing rekindled my excitement and I don’t go halfway. Lol.
Where do you live?

2/17/18, 10:42 AM   #6
Backitin

Man that's all I've been saying all along.
Now you need to get out and see a speedway race. The most grass roots there is. Ten bucks gets you in, pit pass is 10 bucks. You are literally inches away from the riders while they race. Next thing you know you'll be helping push start guys out of the pits. I've been in every type race pit there is, speedway is the best experience in my opinion.
The racing is also pretty intense, the races lasting only about 60 seconds apiece. In that 60 seconds you'll see as much crazy as any other race anywhere.
You guys owe it to yourselves to see a speedway race in person. If any of you guys are near NY this summer pm me we'll get you out to the races and if you'd like on a speedwaybike for some laps after the races. Its a excellent adventure.

1 member likes this post: Frankracing
2/17/18, 12:57 PM   #7
racenut69

Welcome to the family!...
Quote:

2/18/18, 7:05 PM   #8
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Where do you live?
Georgia. Florida is as close as any non-wing ever comes my way. I intended to be there all 3 nights at Bubba, but my wife got sick part way thru 2nd night and had to cut vaca short. Still loved it for my first in person non-wing race. Next box I plan to check is a trip to the Kruseman driving school. After that if the passion still burns and I'm not to intimidated we may move to Texas or Missouri to see what WAR and/or ELITE are like and see about putting a car together. Plan B is staying here and see if I can get anybody else interested in trying to get a group started.

1 member likes this post: dirt330
2/19/18, 4:18 AM   #9
revjimk

Quote:
Georgia. Florida is as close as any non-wing ever comes my way. I intended to be there all 3 nights at Bubba, but my wife got sick part way thru 2nd night and had to cut vaca short. Still loved it for my first in person non-wing race. Next box I plan to check is a trip to the Kruseman driving school. After that if the passion still burns and I'm not to intimidated we may move to Texas or Missouri to see what WAR and/or ELITE are like and see about putting a car together. Plan B is staying here and see if I can get anybody else interested in trying to get a group started.
Willing to move to Texas or Missouri, or start your own series?
Wouldn't it be easier to move to Indiana?
Seems like a bunch of drivers have done it over the years....

2 members like this post: jim goerge, motorhead748
2/19/18, 1:55 PM   #10
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Willing to move to Texas or Missouri, or start your own series?
Wouldn't it be easier to move to Indiana?
Seems like a bunch of drivers have done it over the years....
Well Texas and Missouri both have POWRi non wing series in Elite and WAR, but Indiana is a possibility too. I wasn't saying I wanted to start my own series down here, but maybe a class of economy sprints at my local track, they just make more sense to me economically anymore than any late model does. I'm 47 and watching the guys in Indiana mix it up is awe inspiring, but I think its a bit late in the game for me to get in the deep end of the pool that I see in Indiana. Texas has more appeal to me and my wife than just sprints and I have a friend in Missouri with sprint/midget background that I could lean on. In Indiana I'd be an old man, in the way with no one to look to. Its not out of the question, but I'm trying to be realistic about who and where I fit in. LOL

3 members like this post: Emd645e6, ISF, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My first non wing sprint race