IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
DirtTrackTherapy16J (Offline)
  #1 7/26/22 12:06 PM
I made a new thread bc I didnt feel it was right to put this on USAC's thread bc it really doesnt have anything to do with them. I will do my best to not be negative, yet be truthful. Yes it will bother someone.

The last time I was at Circle City was last year. The only complaint I had last year was the rocks. I felt in my opinion the track, parking, seating, facilities, everything was great but the rocks. Every time I've tried to go this year it's gotten rained out. Noones fault, sucks, but part of racing and life in general. However, I was told by multiple people the rock situation had been taken care of and was much much better. HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Most on here have no idea who I am. In fact a guy that's on here walked by us several times last night and I was even told multiple times who he was. Him and I have had several arguments on here, thought it was quite comical. The few on here that do know me and are my friends, knows a rock shattering my glasses and going into my right eye when I was 13 at Kokomo took me away from racing for nearly 25 years, as I turned 40 yesterday. I am going blind in my right eye bc of that incident. Rocks bother me and are a big big safety issue for me.

So last night my friends and I are walking up to the track, not hearing any ting ting ting off the bleachers so I thought alright they was right it is much better. Standing in the ticket line, all the sudden ting ting ting...wonderful the rocks arent any better. Oh well go sit down and see, maybe its mud.

I also am bald headed so I wear a hat alot to protect my head from the sun and to keep sweat out of my eyes. When I left home I said ah not much sun, not hot out, I'm gonna go without a hat for once. So we sit down and probably the 2nd or 3rd car into qualifying a rock, not pea gravel pebble, rock, hits me in the head, gives me a slight cut. So after qualifying I had to go out and buy a hat to protect myself. Not looking good on the track at this point. Ended up getting hit in the chest, leaving a welt, and got hit in the side of my left leg leaving a welt. These rocks were near the size of golf balls in diameter. Basically fast food chicken nugget size. They were bad enough that another friend of mine through some friends, Merriville Al, had to stop in the aisle way and move the rocks so he didnt trip or lose his balance. It also was not just me or where I was sitting, it was all down through the bleachers.

I really do like and appreciate the track. It's not too awful far from home, super super nice facilities, bathrooms nice and clean, concessions are great except a lil higher priced then most tracks, nice tight bullring, good parking, good seating, awesome jumbotron, nice scoreboard, nice lighting, beautiful view to the West...BUT PLEASE IF ANYONE FROM CIRCLE CITY IS LISTENING OR READING, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROCKS BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY HURT OR YOU LOSE TOO MANY FANS OR SOMETHING WORSE HAPPENS. The rocks have NOT gotten any better since last year.

With that said, I do agree with a few others comments I seen. Awesome awesome clean racing last night!! Also very smoothly ran and ending at a decent hour for a Monday night!!
3 Likes: addictedtodirt, Adolph, WinglessLovers
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #2 7/26/22 1:44 PM
All tracks have rocks. You notice it more when it hits aluminum seats. They added some chicken wire to the fencing. I didn't get hit with anything last night, and didn't hear anything either.
3 Likes: Dirtfan, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
Dirtfan (Offline)
  #3 7/26/22 1:51 PM
Neither did we.

Dan Hetser

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
2 Likes: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #4 7/26/22 3:05 PM
Was sitting down towards turn 1. Never heard any rocks hitting anything, but before the feature I did see official on 4-wheeler bend over about 5-6 times in different locations in turn 1 and pick something up and throw it over the fence. Just assumed it was rocks he was picking up.

Been hit at THAT with rock to the chest, and buddy got hit at the same track the year before in a male body part that I'd rather not mention.

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
3 Likes: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner, wildman92
Blitzman (Offline)
  #5 7/26/22 4:08 PM
I could see the rocks in the track surface while watching on Flo. There is a rock issue. Track surface needs dug and ran through a rock screen/sifter. That looked like a rock quarry on tv.
FrankR63 (Offline)
  #6 7/26/22 4:14 PM
I would respectfully suggest a good hat and a pair of safety glasses or goggles with safety lens' - as to the welts on the body, them there are love taps to be worn with honor.
3 Likes: luckybuc97, PIT CART, tirespinner
brown11b (Offline)
  #7 7/26/22 7:54 PM
There are rocks at all tracks. Circle City is probably worse than many tracks, but it is better than it was last season.
2 Likes: tirespinner, TQ29m
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #8 7/26/22 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J:
I made a new thread bc I didnt feel it was right to put this on USAC's thread bc it really doesnt have anything to do with them. I will do my best to not be negative, yet be truthful. Yes it will bother someone.

The last time I was at Circle City was last year. The only complaint I had last year was the rocks. I felt in my opinion the track, parking, seating, facilities, everything was great but the rocks. Every time I've tried to go this year it's gotten rained out. Noones fault, sucks, but part of racing and life in general. However, I was told by multiple people the rock situation had been taken care of and was much much better. HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Most on here have no idea who I am. In fact a guy that's on here walked by us several times last night and I was even told multiple times who he was. Him and I have had several arguments on here, thought it was quite comical. The few on here that do know me and are my friends, knows a rock shattering my glasses and going into my right eye when I was 13 at Kokomo took me away from racing for nearly 25 years, as I turned 40 yesterday. I am going blind in my right eye bc of that incident. Rocks bother me and are a big big safety issue for me.

So last night my friends and I are walking up to the track, not hearing any ting ting ting off the bleachers so I thought alright they was right it is much better. Standing in the ticket line, all the sudden ting ting ting...wonderful the rocks arent any better. Oh well go sit down and see, maybe its mud.

I also am bald headed so I wear a hat alot to protect my head from the sun and to keep sweat out of my eyes. When I left home I said ah not much sun, not hot out, I'm gonna go without a hat for once. So we sit down and probably the 2nd or 3rd car into qualifying a rock, not pea gravel pebble, rock, hits me in the head, gives me a slight cut. So after qualifying I had to go out and buy a hat to protect myself. Not looking good on the track at this point. Ended up getting hit in the chest, leaving a welt, and got hit in the side of my left leg leaving a welt. These rocks were near the size of golf balls in diameter. Basically fast food chicken nugget size. They were bad enough that another friend of mine through some friends, Merriville Al, had to stop in the aisle way and move the rocks so he didnt trip or lose his balance. It also was not just me or where I was sitting, it was all down through the bleachers.

I really do like and appreciate the track. It's not too awful far from home, super super nice facilities, bathrooms nice and clean, concessions are great except a lil higher priced then most tracks, nice tight bullring, good parking, good seating, awesome jumbotron, nice scoreboard, nice lighting, beautiful view to the West...BUT PLEASE IF ANYONE FROM CIRCLE CITY IS LISTENING OR READING, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROCKS BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY HURT OR YOU LOSE TOO MANY FANS OR SOMETHING WORSE HAPPENS. The rocks have NOT gotten any better since last year.

With that said, I do agree with a few others comments I seen. Awesome awesome clean racing last night!! Also very smoothly ran and ending at a decent hour for a Monday night!!
You are spot on. From the ticket booth you could hear the rocks during qualifying (had to work and got there mid way through quals) and went to grab a seat after getting in the gate. The first car we were able to see through a rock the size of a walnut and we moved from T1 to the flad stand before the next car came out. The issue needs to be addressed before it becomes a problem. If Port Royal can shift their half mile track, the least the bull rings could do is remove the obvious ones. If folks can see them on Flo and they have to be kicked out of the walkways, it's an issue. And no, chicken wire isn't sufficient. Even Kokomo added 1/2" x 1/2" to deal with their rocks. Circle city needs to do more if they want fans to return again and again.
Adolph (Offline)
  #9 7/27/22 12:18 AM
I got hit with 2 rocks sitting in row 4 behind the flagstand. My friend got hit in the head too. The lower you are in the stands the more rocks. The closer to turn 1 more rocks. Low on turn 1 the worst. Everyone is right it was worse last year. It decreased from 4-5 rocks per race to 1-2 rocks per race. The chicken wire is pretty wide mesh, walnut size stones get through. Finer mesh fencing like some tracks use would work better. Also, the chicken wire does not come down far enough. There is a 2 foot gap at the bottom that allows big suckers through if you sit in the first 10 rows. Rumor has it they did not remove rocks from the clay they used when building the track.
Adolph (Offline)
  #10 7/27/22 12:27 AM
In their very first race last year, I saw them dig out a boulder in turn 1 the size of a bowling ball between races. They had to shovel dirt from the cushion to fill the hole after it was removed.
2 Likes: Hubie48, tirespinner