IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Opinions on Perris?
10/3/15, 5:31 AM   #1
Opinions on Perris?
revjimk

How many of you have been to Perris Speedway in California? I'm thinking of going for the big races in November (Oval Nationals?)
Its a half mile, I got hooked on traditional sprint cars on bullrings.... so is the racing good on this bigger track?
Thanks in advance....

10/3/15, 8:43 AM   #2
Re: Opinions on Perris?
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Been there many times since I'm originally from SoCal; it's a first-class place. It's advertised as a half but Don Kazarian admitted a few years ago that you'd have to measure it around the top of the crash wall to arrive at that figure so it's more like 3/8; the racing's more like at Kokomo or Putnamville than a big, "real" 1/2 like Terre Haute. The track is wide, with sweeping banked turns and a good clay surface. It doesn't stay as heavy as Ascot once did but that may be more attributable to its' location in a desert climate, where Ascot was maybe a mile from the Pacific Ocean. The back stretch is elevated so the haulers in the infield don't obstruct your view and the sound system is one of the best around. Good concessions, big, clean restrooms, paved parking. Not much negative to say about it except maybe the noise ordinances in California make them muffle the cars so much that they don't sound like Sprint Cars do out here any more but I guess that's supposed to be a good thing. What? Did you say something?
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/3/15, 8:50 AM   #3
Jonr

The PAS is a great track. It is on my top five of great facilities, and the racing was great also. I would recommend it.

3 members like this post: Indy1808, jim goerge, WinglessLovers
10/3/15, 10:36 AM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I was only there once many years ago, but the racing was great and the facilites are top notch. With the lower infield the sight lines are good from most all the seats.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, WinglessLovers
10/3/15, 11:43 AM   #5
SPRINTCAR

You pay to park.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/3/15, 1:17 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

I never had a bad time there. Its California, so its not cheap, but I liked it.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, jim goerge
10/3/15, 2:14 PM   #7
revjimk

Sounds good. Thanks everyone, probably going

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
10/3/15, 3:53 PM   #8
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I have attended almost all of the Bud Nats races for over 10 years and one of the spring races a few years ago. Sometimes it is excellent and sometimes it isn't. I have seen Hagen win a midget feature from last, but I have also seen more than one feature Saturday night feature won from the front row because the track was so dry and slick that passing was next to impossible. I believe at least some of that depends on the Santa Anna winds. Two or three years ago they were so strong that parents had to tie big rocks on their children to keep them from blowing away. It is so very, very hard to keep moisture in a track under those conditions. The year before it got up in the high 90s (a record). Other years it is cool. Whatever the final feature is, you will see some great racing during the three days, and perhaps some memorable non-racing action as well. I was there when the Modern Day Cowboy was dumped in turn 1 by the son of a famous racer, strode down the track looking for the kid, only to be jumped by the father on the main stretch. Memories like that, priceless. All joking aside, I would strongly encourage you to go. A couple of practical suggestions. 1. Get there as early as you can on practice day to tape down your blanket. 2. Take more money than you think you will need. That way you can try the world famous ($8) hot dogs. I think pit passes are $150 for the three days. Not sure what they cost for practice day. With the best of the midwest and west there the pit passes are certainly worth it.

5 members like this post: AustinSprinter, BrentTFunk, cmakin, Indy1808, jim goerge
10/3/15, 7:35 PM   #9
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
I have attended almost all of the Bud Nats races for over 10 years and one of the spring races a few years ago. Sometimes it is excellent and sometimes it isn't. I have seen Hagen win a midget feature from last, but I have also seen more than one feature Saturday night feature won from the front row because the track was so dry and slick that passing was next to impossible. I believe at least some of that depends on the Santa Anna winds. Two or three years ago they were so strong that parents had to tie big rocks on their children to keep them from blowing away. It is so very, very hard to keep moisture in a track under those conditions. The year before it got up in the high 90s (a record). Other years it is cool. Whatever the final feature is, you will see some great racing during the three days, and perhaps some memorable non-racing action as well. I was there when the Modern Day Cowboy was dumped in turn 1 by the son of a famous racer, strode down the track looking for the kid, only to be jumped by the father on the main stretch. Memories like that, priceless. All joking aside, I would strongly encourage you to go. A couple of practical suggestions. 1. Get there as early as you can on practice day to tape down your blanket. 2. Take more money than you think you will need. That way you can try the world famous ($8) hot dogs. I think pit passes are $150 for the three days. Not sure what they cost for practice day. With the best of the midwest and west there the pit passes are certainly worth it.
What he said. See you there, my friend.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan
10/3/15, 8:34 PM   #10
Jonr

Also, don't forget to get as many In-n-Out burgers as you can while you are there.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Danny Burton, Jim Gardner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Opinions on Perris?