IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > big car question
10/2/15, 4:06 AM   #1
big car question
flagboy55

I have no complaints about the silver crown race at Eldora. It was outstanding. Mr. Bell was masterful with his navigation of the "house earl built". My question is this, why do they get 30 cars at the miles, and 20 at Eldora? If the money is relatively close to the same, you only are going to put 25 miles on your car as opposed to a possible 100. Seems to me, it's more cost effective, and every bit as fun to watch. Would love to hear what you all think. Thanks

10/2/15, 6:04 AM   #2
Re: big car question
BrentTFunk

I think it has a lot to do with it being at the end of the season. Guys who are down in points, or maybe tight on money are regrouping for next year.

3 members like this post: billwill, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
10/2/15, 6:07 AM   #3
BrentTFunk

duplicate post
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 10/2/15 at 6:09 AM.

10/2/15, 6:54 AM   #4
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I have no complaints about the silver crown race at Eldora. It was outstanding. Mr. Bell was masterful with his navigation of the "house earl built". My question is this, why do they get 30 cars at the miles, and 20 at Eldora? If the money is relatively close to the same, you only are going to put 25 miles on your car as opposed to a possible 100. Seems to me, it's more cost effective, and every bit as fun to watch. Would love to hear what you all think. Thanks
Better yet. I remember when they had more cars in the last chance race than they do now in the feature.
The good old days.

3 members like this post: dctracy79, FALCONEDDIE, SPRINTCAR
10/2/15, 9:40 AM   #5
sprntr

I know that one former owner decided to only run the Miles after tearing up the car the second time at Eldora.

His car, His money, His choice.

3 members like this post: davidm, jim goerge, PIT CART
10/4/15, 4:43 AM   #6
flagboy55

Maybe he should hire a better driver.

10/4/15, 9:33 AM   #7
mac miller

Actually, big cars, championship cars, champ dirt cars, silver crown cars or whatever they have called them through history, were built to run 100 mile races on mile tracks, nonstop, dirt and pavement, with real Indy 500 drivers and real Indy 500 engines.
What this group has turned into is an embarrassment, running 25 mile races on half mile tracks..... what's the point?

If they are unable to find mile tracks that will have them and they are stuck with half miles, they should, at least, run 200 laps.
The situation that some of these recent races have been stopped in the middle for refueling is pathetic.

mac miller in INDY

10/4/15, 2:03 PM   #8
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Maybe he should hire a better driver.
I always thought Johnny Parsons, Jr. was good enough...

2 members like this post: flagboy55, HardyBoysRacing
10/4/15, 2:08 PM   #9
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac miller View Post
..........If they are unable to find mile tracks that will have them and they are stuck with half miles, they should, at least, run 200 laps.
The situation that some of these recent races have been stopped in the middle for refueling is pathetic.

mac miller in INDY
So, Silver Crown struggles with fan counts, and your answer is to run them for 200 laps?

I realize that I missed the golden age of Silver Crown cars, but in today's market there are numerous other classes that I would like to see other than the Silver Crown cars. Having a 200 lap race would only make me stay away more.

2 members like this post: fish, PIT CART
10/4/15, 2:28 PM   #10
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

They're a specialty car with no support outside of USAC and no longer a part of any championship trail or a stepping stone to something bigger.
I happen to love the series but there doesn't seem to be enough support from the owners or spectators.

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > big car question