IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Opinions on Perris?
10/5/15, 11:39 PM   #31
Re: Opinions on Perris?
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALandSurveyor8759 View Post
Re: Hamburgers on the way to the Oval Nationals.
In-n-Out is OK at best. Five Guys will kick their ass all day long. Farmer Boys is only about a mile from the track and serves up a decent burger if you didn't have time to stop anywhere else. It's a lot cheaper than eating at the track.
But, if you're travelling through San Diego, the single greatest hamburger ever devised is found at Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Just head down Newport Avenue and look for the hungry people standing in line. Absolutely worth the drive and the wait. A behemoth of a burger that requires 5 napkins, minimum.
Honorable mention goes to Slater's 50/50, also in San Diego. Close to the airport, their burgers are made of 50% beef, 50% bacon. Expect to wait here also.
In reality, I only touch red meat a handful of times a year now. Have always wanted to try Hodads and Slaters and will someday. Everybody I know who goes to Hodads says the same thing. The best! By the way, there is now a Slaters in Rancho Cucamonga. About 20 minutes from the track.

10/6/15, 8:06 AM   #32
Jonr

I am sorry that I took this thread on a major tangent. Who knew that we could talk as much about hamburgers as we do racing.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
10/6/15, 8:16 AM   #33
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

What else is there to talk about? Well, I guess there is one other thing...
I'd forgotten about Farmer Boys; there aren't any in Ventura County, or weren't before I came out here. Truthfully, there are several good burger joints in SoCal, like Fatburger and Tommy's (the original) that may be better than In 'n' Out but haven't gotten the word out. The one thing In 'n' Out does have is a connection to racing that goes back to the OCIR dragstrip days, and that always rates high in my product loyalty scorecard.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/6/15, 9:59 AM   #34
TKRacing

Definitely have to stop at Pinks Hot Dogs in Hollywood if you are out site seeing.

Todd Kimmel

10/6/15, 1:23 PM   #35
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
No Ho Jo's out here in Cali, but there are some great fried clams at the beaches. As a kid, I loved those fried clams in the Ho Jo's in Michigan. Will trade some In N' Out for a bag of those, too!!!
No HoJo's restaurants anywhere, as far as I can tell.... just motels. Big loss

10/6/15, 1:28 PM   #36
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I am sorry that I took this thread on a major tangent. Who knew that we could talk as much about hamburgers as we do racing.
I've been told by certain Hoosiers that the best way to eat burgers is to get as close as you can to Turn 4 on a hot dry day, open the burger & eat it after B-Main....mmm, track & rubber dust are the BEST condiments!

10/6/15, 4:20 PM   #37
Scott Daloisio

If you are out messing around and get around downtown Los Angeles, here are three non miss spots. All cheap, iconic and close to Union Station if you take the train in. Philippe's French Dips and Cielito Lindo are right across the street from Union Station. Philippes French Dips name lets you know what it is all about. Cielito Lindo looks kind of dumpy, but it has been there for more than 75-years and serves the best taquitos around and at three for $1.50, you cannot beat it. The Nickel Diner, which was on "Diner's, Drive In's and Dives," is less than a mile away and serves some great stuff. Both meals and incredible tasting, unique desserts.

Another place we like in L.A. is "Bottega Louie." Italian. Kind of pricey on some things, but the food is very, very good. And, they have a pastry portion area that you can just walk into and buy from that will amaze you. Try some of the macaroons.

In Hollywood, a place to find a lot of good food is the famous "Farmer's Market." Has been around for over 100-years and is built adjacent to where Gilmore Field was which was home to weekly Midget races in the 1940's and 50's until CBS brought the property and built their studios on it. There is actually a display at that shows some of the stuff from Gilmore Field including midget racing. Inside the "Farmer's Market" are a bunch of small restaurants of all different types. Mostly pay for the food and get it at the counter and then go sit down. Next to "Farmer's Market" is "The Grove." Lots of high end places there. Most nothing special, but stop by the little bar called, "The Whisper Lounge." Pricey for what you get, but great tasting food.

If you get down to the Santa Monica area, great food all around. Especially near the 3rd Street Prominade near the pier. All kinds of restaurants from fine dining to diner style places.

One cannot - and I mean cannot miss place - is a small donut shop in Westwood by the UCLA campus. It is named, "Stan's Donuts." Just go in and order a "Huell." It will hook you immediately. Get your exercise after as "Huell's" are incredible, but they are literally "calorie bombs."

If you like fish and get down to Orange County, there is a place in Newport Beach across the street from the ocean called the "Crab Cooker." Absolutely fantastic. Famous and has been there a long, long time. You never know who you may see there. However, the wait can be long. Good deal is, they have another location in Tustin that has the same great food, is bigger and never a wait yet.

Closer to the racetrack if you have a chance to be in Corona, try the "Silver Dollar Pancake House." Has been in the same location for more than 100-years. Nothing pretty to look at, but the food is awesome and they have customer friendly portions to say the least.

Another place to try that has been around for more than 70-years is "Delia's Grinders" on University Avenue in Riverside. It is only about 15 minutes from the track. One of the more famous places to eat in Riverside County. Best sandwiches around. The bread is just amazing.

Real close to the track (2 miles away) is one of our sponsors, "Harry's Diner." Good food with customer friendly portions and prices. After you get off the 215 on your way to the track, it is on your left side about a 1/2 mile down.

Best steaks in So Cal is at "Flemming's Prime Steak House." Flemmings is about 25 minutes from the track in Rancho Cucamonga. Pretty expensive.

10/6/15, 4:24 PM   #38
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRacing View Post
Definitely have to stop at Pinks Hot Dogs in Hollywood if you are out site seeing.

Todd Kimmel
Pinks will be available at the Oval Nationals.

10/6/15, 9:35 PM   #39
ThePurple73

One fun place to watch the sun go down and eat is Gladstone's on the beach in Malibu.

All this talk of food and racing in southern California makes me remember all the great places we would find when at Ascot.

One thing for sure, over the years I have received a lot of good restaurant advice on Indiana Open Wheel.
Especially when it comes to Breaded Tenderloin places in Indiana. Last one I had was about the size of a man hole cover.

1 member likes this post: Scott Daloisio
10/7/15, 9:28 AM   #40
Ty

Thanks for all of these food suggestions guys. Making my first trip to Cali for the Oval Nationals so non-food chains will definitely be a must while out there.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Opinions on Perris?