IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ONMSA Ohio Non wing mini sprint association???
9/19/13, 12:00 AM   #1
ONMSA Ohio Non wing mini sprint association???
onmsa

Possible new association for the spring racing season, A non wing series that has a purse around 500-600 a weekend, Currently looking for sponsors to cover purse money so tracks are not solely responsible for entire purse. Stock block rules with alcohol conversion with a 1600-2000$ claim rule that is only your block you keep all yr goodies. This series will be solely supported by drivers and sponsors where we go our sponsors go, Entry fees will be higher to make sure where ever we race there is a good purse, Drivers will not have to pay a huge pit pass fee to the track only twards the purse to the organization, But guests pit crew members will have to pay tracks pit pass to support the tracks insurance fund and there part of the purse......This is all in the works have talked to couple of tracks that are interested,and some sponsors, Will offer a discounted rate for all 600cc motors as far as there cost to race for the evening, instead of separating or paying extra to the highest finishing 600. Plus as we all know sometimes a 600 is an advantage when you run non-wing, Plus to keep the series healthy we need to help the new comers who purchase 600 cars, and the can come and still be competitive.....There are three of us trying to put this thing togather for next year, Have alot of guys tired of having to run one or two tracks in order to have a car count, track owners can't pay the purse money that really mini sprint racers need to just make ends meet, so hopefully all falls in place and we can book 8-12 races next year with at least 20+ cars and a purse of 500 or more with purks for the guy who tore up his car, Or came from 20th to 3rd hopefully our sponsors can help with gift certificates and such......We are not making any promises but we are gonna try it, There will be no points fund, unless a sponsor insisted on it basicly a very simple organization with only hireing a tech guy, and useing whatever track were runnings flagmen and rules keeps cost low and leaves more money for purse......so chime in give me yr views and or ideas.....We are even thinking of trying a couple asphalt races if everyone would be interested and we could make it cost effective for everyone with tires........Well there it is only down on paper right now in the early stages so help us out with any ideas you have or if you want to get involved message me will welcome the help......No money is gonna be made all money goes for purses and promotion.......

3 members like this post: D.L. 122, JazzTrombonist, Jim Gardner
9/19/13, 8:39 AM   #2
Re: ONMSA Ohio Non wing mini sprint association???
larsonfan
Banned

Sounds like a great idea. I will support your races as fan in the grandstands. Good luck!

9/19/13, 9:55 AM   #3
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Lighting Sprints are not really needing another series to split car counts up. You will have better luck talking to local tracks and get them to run a special race.

2 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, wing-44
9/19/13, 12:17 PM   #4
WRP DK

In my opinion the addition of several different sanctioning bodies is what kills car counts and what kills the class. If a track can only draw 12-15 cars in one class they tend to shy away from that class. Last year the AMSA and WRP made a pact to try and reduce this situation. We combined forces and we proved our point....our car count average went up by 3-4 cars per week. Tracks do not need sanctioning bodies. Sanctioning bodies are only created when certain drivers get upset with one track or organization and want to create their little group. I'm here to tell you......there are only about 80-90 of these upright mini sprints in the Ohio/Indiana area and if we keep branching them out the counts will drop and when the counts drop the purses drop and eventually everything drops. I feel it would be best to work with a track to help them build counts. right now Brownstown, Montpelier and Waynesfield have all stuck their necks out there and ran mini sprints on a regular basis. My suggestion would be to contact one of these tracks and try to work out something with them or just set up a series that utilizes these three tracks that have supported mini sprint racing.

1 member likes this post: wing-44
9/19/13, 8:26 PM   #5
onmsa

I agree and appriciate your comments, Not trying to conflict with anybody elses organizations but seem to me nobody is listening in those other associations, Bottom line is non wing on these cars is way more competitive a little more dangerous but far more competitive and no more "follow the leader racing that is very boring to the fans by the way" And it lets the lower budget teams actually compete with a 1000 or a 600 so if i get enough sponsor money I think it would be a good thing...Thanks for you thoughts though......

9/19/13, 10:09 PM   #6
hoscalecody

Next year if there is a track that I have money to go to I'll come to try out non wing racing I've been told many times that I need to but I didn't think I should on my first year of racing. So like I said if theres a track close I'll come.

9/19/13, 10:29 PM   #7
onmsa

Cool man you will love it....stay in touch for updates over the winter months....

9/20/13, 12:15 PM   #8
PatrickMead#13

Have you thought of running both dirt and asphalt shows? Working with the tracks is going to help a series and help the tracks in the long run because one can't happen without the other.

9/20/13, 12:30 PM   #9
WRP DK

what is the biggest track length you think would be safe for non wing mini sprints? Frankly I think WRP would be scary but may be about the biggest you would want to go (1/3) mile. We have had some requests to run non wing mini's but we just didn't want to make it a points event.

9/20/13, 12:34 PM   #10
PatrickMead#13

I tested my #13 at wrp last spring without a wing and had fuel supply issues but it was still fast and smooth out there. It was the first laps on dirt I had ever done coming from asphalt so it was special for me to be there.

1 member likes this post: WRP DK
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ONMSA Ohio Non wing mini sprint association???