IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin indoor info?
10/20/13, 8:30 AM   #11
Re: Duquoin indoor info?
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
Be ready for heavy methanol fumes,FYI...
Not nearly as bad as Ft. Wayne, though, and a very racy surface for the midgets...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, Mud Packer
10/20/13, 2:49 PM   #12
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Have attended all of these! Moving it up to an earlier part of the month may boost attendance, as we all tend to get busy just before Christmas.

3 members like this post: bmemmer, jim goerge, luckybuc97
10/20/13, 6:07 PM   #13
bmemmer

Never been disappointed. The first few heat races sometimes go to one groove then u get bc or tyler thomas hit the high groove then its on with 2 racey grooves for the rest of the night.

1 member likes this post: Quick Change
10/20/13, 7:31 PM   #14
D.L. 122

So no minis at all this year? I know a year or two ago minis prints raced there.

10/20/13, 9:56 PM   #15
PAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L. 122 View Post
So no minis at all this year? I know a year or two ago minis prints raced there.
Don't need them!

10/21/13, 9:31 AM   #16
racenut69

Sorry if anyone was offended..I was just letting the noobs know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
Be ready for heavy methanol fumes,FYI...

10/21/13, 10:40 AM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Last year, I think there was one five minute period where I had some eye burning. But otherwise the Fumes were a non issue the entire show. However it was warm out, I'd say 50* and the back doors were open to the building.

I think the doors should be open unless its brutal cold. We're dressed for the appropriate weather anyway to get there and leave.

Didn't see a whole lot of empty seats last year, Id say get there early or you may be SRO. This is a killer show with three wide racing and the track gets faster, So fast that they intentionally slow it by keeping it on the wet side. They turn the track around in about 7-10 minutes, I barely had time to step out for a smoke and get back when they reworked.

Probably not going to make it unless I can find a ride and split expenses.

If you can't find a room in DuQuoin. Carbondale is about ten miles south and has plenty of rooms.
Chuck

4 members like this post: billwill7, jim goerge, racenut69, Red Hat
10/21/13, 7:25 PM   #18
wandak

Just a few tips for those who haven't been there yet. Count on it being cold. They do open the big door and the walk thru doors for cross ventilation between races. Bring your ear plugs and safety glasses if you have them. (They help with the fumes). When they work the track between races, take the time to go into the hall for something to eat/drink and get some fresh air. Seat cushions are nice also. (Maybe I'm getting old--ya think?)
Between the race, check out the POWRi t-shirt tables and chat with Donna about the plans for the winter.

Someone called it the poor man's Chili Bowl. Not quite there yet but a great warmup for the CB.

Looking forward to seeing you all there. Wanda K.

3 members like this post: DiehardRaceFan, luckybuc97, racenut69
10/21/13, 11:13 PM   #19
ISF

In addition to the rooms in Carbondale there are a couple of decent motels in Benton which is 14 miles East of Du Quoin.

I second the advice to get there early. This show has gained some notoriety over the last couple of years and the Southern Illinois Center might just fill up this year.

I would also urge those of you attending to take the drive through the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds after the sun goes down for the Holiday Light Fair. They really light up and decorate the old fairgrounds. It doesn't cost much and it's really neat to see the fairgrounds all decked out for Christmas.

And as has been said earlier, the racin' is second to none. The battle Mezerall and Clauson waged in The Center in December of 2011 was epic and the Saturday night show during the fair over Labor day weekend of 2012 was equally exciting.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
10/21/13, 11:33 PM   #20
buckshot3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L. 122 View Post
600's and 1000's will have a race at duquoin this year in feburary stayed tuned as more details are to come soon.

3 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, luckybuc97, Tom23
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin indoor info?