IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown - should I go?
8/4/20, 8:24 AM   #1
Tumey's 55

I have been to all the Smackdowns except the summer my father passed away. I currently reside in FL, have tickets to Smackdown and these would be the only races I see this year. I want to attend but trying to decide if this is a good decision from a health standpoint. From what I have been reading stands have been full and few are wearing masks. This does not make me feel good about attending. I have not locked myself in my home these last few months but have tried to use good sense and avoid crowds. I have had a family member get the virus and a friend who is currently in the hospital so this has me being cautious. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? I would appreciate thoughtful responses to how attendance has been recently, sprint week for example and are fans being respectful.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
8/4/20, 9:27 AM   #2
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
I have been to all the Smackdowns except the summer my father passed away. I currently reside in FL, have tickets to Smackdown and these would be the only races I see this year. I want to attend but trying to decide if this is a good decision from a health standpoint. From what I have been reading stands have been full and few are wearing masks. This does not make me feel good about attending. I have not locked myself in my home these last few months but have tried to use good sense and avoid crowds. I have had a family member get the virus and a friend who is currently in the hospital so this has me being cautious. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? I would appreciate thoughtful responses to how attendance has been recently, sprint week for example and are fans being respectful.
yes, you should go. As you can attest, Thursday and Friday crowds are not usually sellouts. plenty of room to space out those nights but may require sitting lower than usual. pocket some hand sanitizer and wear your own PPE and you’re in pretty good shape. Heck, you may even be at higher risk of a car accident in route than contracting a virus in PPE.

DISCLAIMER: opinions are my own and should not be considered expert medical advice. I am not a healthcare professional but did party often in my 20’s with friends who are... Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 8/4/20 at 12:46 PM.

8/4/20, 3:32 PM   #3
Re: Smackdown - should I go?
Jonr

I can not attest to the tracks in Indiana, but I can tell you about my experience at Knoxville last Saturday for the All Star race. Knoxville has one of the largest front grandstands in dirt racing. They roped off every other row which was a good start. They had signs all around about leaving 3 empty seats between groups. I sat about midway up the stands, and watched numerous people not follow the 3 empty seats rule. I got to the track early and picked a strategic seat in the middle of the row. I also selected the non-alcohol section. I was doing good with social distancing until I went and got popcorn during the 360 time trials. When I came back a family had sat right next to my seat cushion. Not caring about the 3 seat rule. There was some space to the other side of me and I simply moved in that direction. The person on that side had also put some good distance between the person he was sitting next to and also moved to give both of us some distance. The family brought in some beer and was soon asked to leave that section. At that time, the gentleman next to me and myself moved back to a more comfortable distance. The gentleman next to me and myself were the only two people in the section that I saw wearing a mask. I think that others saw us with masks and kept on moving.

With that being said, I think that I did a good job with distancing at Knoxville on Saturday. However, I do not think I would be comfortable for the 360 nationals or the "one and only" when they are expecting larger crowds.

If you are concerned about the crowds for the Smackdown, you probably should stay home. When I saw the pictures of the crowds at the midget week and sprint week shows, I knew I would have not felt comfortable in those crowds.

2 members like this post: fish, Ken Bonnema
8/4/20, 5:05 PM   #4

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Get Flo for this year. Think about it if you sell 50% of the seats that leaves one seat on each side of you. Almost no one will be wearing a mask. concession stand will be bumper to bumper. It is a place to go if you want to get away from the virus world because it will feel like nobody knows about it. There will be a big crowd. racing will be good. Get Flo. Just my opinion

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, dirtnonwingfan, duel
8/4/20, 6:03 PM   #5
duel

Be thankful you have that decision to make so far.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jonboat15, racenut69, sprinter14
8/4/20, 6:10 PM   #6
Terry Porter

They had signs out front during ISW about 50% capacity, but I guess I'm bad at math as it was pretty full IMO. That being said my level of concern is fairly low so I'll be making the trek back from TX for the Smackdown. I live on the premise that whats meant to be is going to happen, irregardless of the circumstances you may or may not put yourself in.

But obviously you need to make the decision that's best for you and your conscience. Flo coverage will get you almost as good as being there and there will always be next year!

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, flagboy55, jim goerge, luckybuc97
8/4/20, 11:05 PM   #7
Tumey's 55

Thanks all. Obviously my decision, likely low risk but I have tried to be wise throughout this pandemic without being in total lockdown. It just doesn’t seem to be a risk worth taking at this point. Wednesday and Thursday would likely be fine but Saturday evening would not be comfortable for me. May just stay home and plan for next year.

5 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, fish, JarrettFarms73, Jonr, ronmil
8/5/20, 12:44 PM   #8
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55 View Post
Maybe another option for you is to make your trip and enjoy the great Hoosier hospitality that you have experienced and go to the racing events and go in and check out the situation and if you don't feel comfortable maybe set outside and listen to the pa system and come in for the heat racing and the features. Got some good friends from Ohio that we have been to all the smack down and they are doing this as well. Hopefully that this racing events will happen. Thanks. I think that you will be good for your racing trip. Have fun and enjoy the great things that we all love. God bless America. Thanks.
Last edited by i love dirt track racing; 8/5/20 at 12:47 PM.

3 members like this post: dirt330, EBookerFan, jim goerge
8/6/20, 6:02 PM   #9
captrat

How will they handle social distancing for reserved seating?

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
8/7/20, 8:06 AM   #10
addictedtodirt

Same as an airplane or any store, wear a mask when you can't be 6' from someone.
For those who are uncomfortable, stay home. Simple enough.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown - should I go?