IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AFT is having racing at the Indy Mile
8/3/20, 8:21 PM   #1
AFT is having racing at the Indy Mile
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Slightly off topic but open wheel and hope that the fairgrounds mile isn't dead yet.

https://www.americanflattrack.com/ne...I4x0tq1XUW84YM

8/3/20, 10:26 PM   #2
treecitytornado

Wow, pretty damn cool,Chuck!! Hope it's a good sign to bring back Champ Dirt Car Racing in 2021!

5 members like this post: Blackduce, flagboy55, jdull99, jonboat15, luckybuc97
8/4/20, 9:41 AM   #3
flagboy55

Does anyone know if American Flat Track is the upper echelon of motorcycle racing? I’m only a casual fan but I remember names like Kenny Roberts, Jay Springsteen, Chris Carr as running the top class of flat tracking but I thought that was AMA? Maybe someone could help me out on this? Always wanted to see the bikes on the mile and considering that the miles are going away, might be a good time to knock it off the bucket list

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
8/4/20, 11:55 AM   #4
Re: AFT is having racing at the Indy Mile
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Does anyone know if American Flat Track is the upper echelon of motorcycle racing? I’m only a casual fan but I remember names like Kenny Roberts, Jay Springsteen, Chris Carr as running the top class of flat tracking but I thought that was AMA? Maybe someone could help me out on this? Always wanted to see the bikes on the mile and considering that the miles are going away, might be a good time to knock it off the bucket list
Boy do those old names ring a bell. Yep AFT is the premier group of flat trackers. Lots of exciting young riders out there. I've seen a lot of flat track motorcycle racing, its really the only thing that can compete against traditional sprinters as far as excitement goes, IMO. You've heard of banging wheels, well these guys bang handlebars and wheels.
I've only been to half miles and shorter tracks to see the bikes I'd like to go to one of the mile shows someday. Do yourself a favor and go to a mile bike race if you can!

4 members like this post: Blackduce, flagboy55, interpreter66, Larry Welch
8/4/20, 12:13 PM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Chris Carr has been doing TV commentary on NBCSN for the AFT races. Races I've seen this year have been really good!

3 members like this post: Blackduce, Charles Nungester, flagboy55
8/4/20, 6:26 PM   #6
racenut69

Flat track bikes at Springfield and DuQuion,Il are well worth the money!...JMO!

5 members like this post: Blackduce, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, illinifan, luckybuc97
8/6/20, 9:34 AM   #7
Bubzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
Boy do those old names ring a bell. Yep AFT is the premier group of flat trackers. Lots of exciting young riders out there. I've seen a lot of flat track motorcycle racing, its really the only thing that can compete against traditional sprinters as far as excitement goes, IMO. You've heard of banging wheels, well these guys bang handlebars and wheels.
I've only been to half miles and shorter tracks to see the bikes I'd like to go to one of the mile shows someday. Do yourself a favor and go to a mile bike race if you can!

The comment about the sprinters is the truth.

At the old half mile paper clip style Ascot track in Gardena the one lap track record was held be flat trackers. They were about a half a second faster than a sprint car. And unbelievable to watch there.

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
8/6/20, 9:36 AM   #8
Bubzilla

And NBCSN channel shows the flat track races about a month or 2 after they are run.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/6/20, 5:32 PM   #9
gtownplowboy

Yes, this is the top rung of flat track. Indian, Harley all have factory teams, as well as other brands mixed in. Heard the horse people deal there fell thru, second hand info... We could very well see the cars back next year..

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AFT is having racing at the Indy Mile