IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Seadog (Offline)
  #1 12/29/12 1:54 PM
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #2 12/29/12 2:06 PM
RIP to Salt Walther. A lucky man, as it turned out. The safety crew at IMS and the people over at Methodist Hospital were able to help buy Salt an additional 39 years, that he otherwise might not have had. Others, like Art Pollard and Swede Savage that year, weren't so fortunate. 1973 was such a terrible year there.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
8 Likes: babcock14d, Bruce Harrison, DaveP63, fish, I Miss Manzy, PIT CART, Puppy, speed bump
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #3 12/29/12 3:45 PM
The poor guy was in trouble all the time basically because he was adicted to pain killers etc. For some reason I see a real problem in America when we incarcerate people like this. Shouldn't he have been in treatment centers of some kind (which I know he was at times) instead of being jailed ? Or is it just me who thinks like that? RIP Salt.
5 Likes: DAD, PAW, PIT CART, ronmil, spicoli
turn4rob (Offline)
  #4 12/29/12 5:50 PM
racerjim while I agree treatment is better than jail(unless your also selling or stealing) the sad truth is most treatment programs don't work unless you are in treatment voluntarily.someone very close to me was sentenced to treatment,and when I asked what the success rate was I was told less than 1%

years later the person voluntarily entered a program and has been clean for 8 yrs

ROB
Sprintcarfanatic (Offline)
  #5 12/29/12 10:59 PM
The wife just happened to turn it on channel 7 ( Dayton, Oh. ) news last night & they were talking about ol Salt had recently led the police on a high speed chase. At least thats what I thought I heard.
REH24 (Offline)
  #6 12/29/12 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by racerjim2:
The poor guy was in trouble all the time basically because he was adicted to pain killers etc. For some reason I see a real problem in America when we incarcerate people like this. Shouldn't he have been in treatment centers of some kind (which I know he was at times) instead of being jailed ? Or is it just me who thinks like that? RIP Salt.
I believe you will find out programs only works when a person realize he is an addict and wants help to clean his self up not because they are forced into a program because of family or the court system. Jail isn't always the answer but it gets them away from their addiction and protects them for awhile and there are programs for them. Another thing they have to find new friends when they come out clean otherwise they will end up right back to where they were.

REH

"Don't let your life determine your attitude, let your attitude determine your life"

“Sight has to do with what we can see, but vision has to do with what we can be.”
4wheelsinthekoosh (Offline)
  #7 12/30/12 12:11 AM
Absolutely no respect for salt. He tried to buy his way into the 500 by buying my dads ride out from under him. He is despicabe and well never be a hero.

Posted via Mobile Device
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #8 12/30/12 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by 4wheelsinthekoosh:
Absolutely no respect for salt. He tried to buy his way into the 500 by buying my dads ride out from under him. He is despicabe and well never be a hero.

Posted via Mobile Device
Regardless of what you think of the guy, Billy, there's something about not speaking ill of the dead, that most people believe in. Especially the recently dead. Damn, this dude's not even in the ground yet.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
3 Likes: i love dirt track racing, Steve Wendel, supdh56
4wheelsinthekoosh (Offline)
  #9 12/30/12 12:50 AM
No change. Nobody that has to buy a ride deserves anything!!! My views maybe hardcore and people may disrespect me for it but I still for real people putting their heart and soul in their work and getting shafted for it. This guy was a crook and people talking highly of him is a problem.

Posted via Mobile Device
Russ (Offline)
  #10 12/30/12 1:49 AM
Rest In Peace Salt.