IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
7/22/13, 8:49 PM   #21
Re: 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
spicoli

Is this happening at a home that is within an area covered by a homeowners association?

7/22/13, 9:02 PM   #22
Pwill

Yes it is spicoli

Posted via Mobile Device

7/22/13, 9:22 PM   #23
Bad Dad 54

I was harassed by the city in a similar situation so I got a copy of the ordinances. Found where the city was in violation of their own rules. Also found where any city official found to be abusing his authority could be fined $1500 & or thrown in jail. Ordinance fellow sent me a notice in the mail, violation supposed to try & contact the home owner ( I saw him drive by). Then another for frequently parking in my front yard - son was home from college for 1 week spring break. Meanwhile down the road 4 doors down they had ruts in their yard & still parking there at the time, never contacted them. The last straw was my son was building an off road truck & there was scrap metal on the trailer. Here he comes starts telling me this & that blah blah. That's when I sent a letter to City Manager about him quoting how he should be jailed & fined in their own rules. Haven't been bothered since & he's gone. All the time there was a junk car w/ no plates & 2 flat tires right around the corner. But he was just driving by

7/22/13, 10:10 PM   #24
racer5c

believe it or not I am going through the same thing with my vintage sprint car and 20 foot enclosed trailer, and it is a nightmare,my trouble started the day after i bought my enclosed trailer, the statute actually says that if it is used for recreational purposes it is not considered commercial and there is an exemtion for race car trailers, I am trying to find it on the city's website and will post a link as soon as I do
Last edited by racer5c; 7/22/13 at 10:20 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING
7/22/13, 10:19 PM   #25
Stevensville Mike

Before I begin, I would like to state that I am a true sprint car fan, and have been for the better part of my 53 years. I also know there are two sides to every argument. Sometimes three.

Now I am going to address the elephant in the room:

You are breaking the law. You are posting the law here in front of us and you are trying to find justification for doing what you are doing. Neighborhoods have laws and ordinances governing actions, noise, and blight.

To resolve your issues with your neighbor you are going to have to do one of three things:

1) Talk it over with him and convince him that it is okay what you do, and it will not affect him, his family, or his property values. Give him a few DD t-shirts. Free tickets to Kokomo. Sponsor his kid's soccer team. If you can get his buy in, all will be well until the next neighbor wants the local laws enforced.

2) Take it up with your elected officials and get the laws & ordinances changed. This will be quite an effort and could be quite costly - both monetarily and time wise..

3) Abide by the laws.

I have had some EXTREMELY bad neighbors that I have had to call the local authorities on to enforce the law in my time. Every neighbor has his tipping point, and once that point is reached, something is going to have to happen. Trust me, when mine has been reached, I show no mercy. I can bend quite far, but I will not break.

I am not saying I am opposed to this thread, but speaking from experience, and playing the Devil's Advocate here, if you do not abide by the local ordinances, and if your neighbors (a.k.a. the lynch mob) keeps pushing the issue, you will not win.

99% of the people out there know not what a sprint car is or care. If they did, our forum would be very big. The law does not care about your team, either. They have to enforce what it written in stone.

Good luck with your battle. And no, I do not live on your street.

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, Phylo82
7/22/13, 10:31 PM   #26
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Oops, looks like I spent too much time in composition. I agree with the previous post.
Last edited by Al Pierce; 7/23/13 at 12:50 AM. Reason: addition

7/22/13, 10:34 PM   #27
spicoli

None of what you guys 'n gals is recommending will work. Nothing.

If they are a member of a HomeOwners Association (HOA), they are screwed beyond belief. The regular rules that a city has don't apply. It's all up to whoever is on the board of the HOA, and the rules that were agreed to and signed prior to moving in.

Prior to what I do now, I used to deal with homeowners who had a HOA, and they are brutal. I know people that have had to take a loss and sell their home because they couldn't air up their car tires in the driveway.

Trust me on this. I personally know lawyers who live in a HOA area, and they will not argue with them. A HOA can make your life a living hell, and there isn't anything you can do about it. You signed up for it when you moved in and agreed to the HOA rules.

If you have never dealt with a HOA, you really have no idea what you are in for. Best advice: Move.

7/22/13, 10:55 PM   #28
racer5c

Recreational vehicle: A vehicle, which may be motorized, non-motorized, self-propelled or towed, designed and intended specifically for non-commercial use, such as temporary living, travel, and leisure activities, including the trailer that may transport the vehicle. Examples include but not limited to boats, jet skis, race cars, all-terrain bikes, motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers.

http://library.municode.com/index.as...teName=Indiana

I can't find the exact thing I was looking for but it is on the indygov website

7/23/13, 1:36 AM   #29
KMS2683

Sent you a PM

7/23/13, 1:54 AM   #30
midgetmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
My God, back in the 60's we used to push start the dragster down the street and fire it up, and warm it and leak check it b4 loading it for IRP.
It's not like they are doing that!
Bummer!
I can't tell how many times I saw my dad set his sprinter sideways down Morris street when he put his foot in it

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!