IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
3/12/09, 9:57 PM   #41
Re: Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
DonMoore10

Actually, you need to work on the reading comprehension. Your most recent post is mostly off topic. I can't find anything in that post that specifically addresses my proposal which started this thread. This thread is about reducing the costs of midget racing, specifically tires for this discussion. So let me help you out: If you don't agree with my proposal, then list the joys of spending the max on midget tires. You travel around the country quite a bit. For example, do you stay at the most expensive $500 hotel penthouse suites? Most of the teams that you follow stayed at the 5 star hotels when they were in Tulsa... for free. I stayed at the $39 hotwire special near the airport.

Don't bother discussing USAC which I think your post is really about. I already know where the president stands on midget costs. Spend, spend, spend was the message I got from the PRI article. There are only about 10-12 teams that can afford that road. They're in the minority and this thread is about the majority, like hundreds of them that aren't sponsored by Toyota, Chevrolet, Red Bull, etc etc. And those teams get tons of stuff free. If those 10-12 teams want to spend a million dollars to find the new speed that you're personally looking for, let them do it. They are in the minority and really don't represent the majority. The problem really is with all the other midget orgs around the country that want to be like big bro. They're the ones that got us in this mess by not thinking for themselves and applying common sense with a few exceptions like ARDC which refuses to go along with the new Esslinger and Fontana. At least they had half a brains and didn't buy it.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 3/12/09 at 10:14 PM.

3/13/09, 12:48 AM   #42
Kirk Spridgeon

My apologies, Don. I was responding to those posts made on page four, not the post made three pages prior. That's usually how threads go. I'm not sure how you can get a post more on-topic than mine. I guess I'd need to live in your bizarro world to understand...

Honestly, I'm tired of you going off-topic of the natural flow of conversation around here....why must you stop a good debate only to bring people back to whatever you want to believe?

I only bring up my points to shed some realistic light on the topic. Believe it or not, you're not going to change the world. I respect the fact that you want to fix some things within midgets, but you're crying about things that are much bigger than midget racing....yes, the rich get richer. Yes, it's tough for middle class people. That's not exclusive to midget racing.

Sorry if you don't want to hear what I have to say, but I'd hope someone as intelligent as yourself would see the objectivity and rationality in my posts...

3/13/09, 1:21 AM   #43
DonMoore10

This thread is not about USAC.

3/13/09, 12:23 PM   #44
JShock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post

MIDGET ORG ANNOUNCES NEW TIRE POLICY

###### Midget Racing Assn. announced today that they have a new tire policy. Midget owners will have the choice of running any tire brand they choose, but it must be compatible with the American Racer tires in compound and size that can be purchased for around $80, with the same tire being capable of running multiple events, both on dirt and pavement. An 8 inch wheel must be run on the right rear.

Now.. that particular policy has some bite, no pun intended.

Here are the pluses:

1. I can cut my tire bill, at least, in half. This is huge for car owners.

2. I have the choice of tire brand. We now have competition for business which usually leads to lower prices.

3. Less rubber (tire area) to the ground which will help neutralize some of the engine power.

4. Cars will be narrower, allowing for better side by side racing for the fans.

5. Fans could care less what tire brands, compounds, sizes are being used, as long as they have a good racing experience.
Ok, this is 100% ON TOPIC ... lets take a look at the Don Moore Tire Policy

1. Cut your bill in half? ... at least? I have yet to see any tire manufacturer produce competitive tires that are less than half the price of the ones we are running now. Please enlighten me ...

2. Possible, but there is no way of proving this.

3. This is OFF TOPIC, being that it has nothing to do with choice between manufacturers.

4. Again, OFF TOPIC.

5. If anything, different tire manufacturers would hurt the competition on the track. Everybody running the same tire brand neutralizes the competition.

Face it, you just want a 'Cheapest Tire on the Market that lasts forever policy"

3/13/09, 1:01 PM   #45
carrytheleftfront

No all dm wants to do is ***** and complain. He's the old man that sits in the bar and complains about how everybody does everything wrong because its not his way.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/13/09, 2:02 PM   #46
PARKS

Don,
I would like to address your statement in post #35 where you once again in an attempt to bolster your own position on a topic by offering false information.
You referenced a 50% drop in participants at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, WI. I HAVE done the research and submit the following FACTS for your disection.
These numbers refer to car count.
Year Average High Low
1999 37.5 49 30
2000 38.3 54 28
2001 37.2 49 31
2002 40.6 50 33
2003 34.3 45 28
2004 33 43 26
2005* 33.2 39 26
2006* 33.7 38 26
2007 34 51 23
2008 26 37 18
* these do not include stand-alone Saturday USAC National events run in 2005
& 2006.
I will admit last year was not what anyone wanting to actually promote Midget racing can use as a tool to say things are A-OK. I hope this year is better but I think the economy and fuel prices had more to do with a bad year than any tire rule did.
Angell Park Speedway and Badger are working hard to make things work up here and really do not need you or anyone else trying to create the illusion of eventual demise.
Badger has 3 rookies this year that I know of and 2 more that are going to be working on crews for the experience needed to pilot there own cars.

I'll quit now before I go to far, cause I really want to ya know.

On Topic and Factual,
Bob Parks

3/13/09, 2:40 PM   #47
DonMoore10

I went back and calculated from the BMARA web site. From 1999 to 2008 you've had a drop in BMARA regular car count of close to 50% with a 5% error of cars that took the green flag for your shows. In 2008, you had one show with a car count of 16. Lowest car count in 1999 was 30. That is close to my reported 50%. BMARA car count is not the topic on here. I referred to it once, only as a reply to another post if I remember correctly. Regardless, the bottom line is that the car counts have been on a decline since 1999, not an upswing. We will leave it at that unless you want the thread to take a turn and discuss your club. I'd rather we discuss ways to cut the cost of midget racing and how that can help BMARA prosper in the future. I'm not going to name names on here, but there was a very well known BMARA race team with two cars for sale in the 2009 Chili Bowl pits. I asked someone in the know what was going on. This person told me they couldn't afford it anymore. Do I need to continue?
Last edited by DonMoore10; 3/13/09 at 2:59 PM.

3/13/09, 3:59 PM   #48
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoore10 View Post
do i need to continue?
please don't

3/13/09, 5:22 PM   #49
PARKS

I guess if all you look for is negative, all you dwell on is the negative, That,quite frankly is all your going to see in an issue.
I look at those numbers and see that with the exception of last year the car counts at APS have been fairly consistant, and I don't see that tires had anything to do with the car counts.
Are the tires over priced, I don't have to buy any tires but yes I think 140.00 is alot. If that's really what they cost. I'll take your word for it.
I really don't think open tire rules will be the saving grace for midgets but it's a start. I personally would like to see it at least tried.

Really trying to stay on topic,
Bob Parks

3/13/09, 6:07 PM   #50
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I went back and calculated from the BMARA web site. From 1999 to 2008 you've had a drop in BMARA regular car count of close to 50% with a 5% error of cars that took the green flag for your shows. In 2008, you had one show with a car count of 16. Lowest car count in 1999 was 30. That is close to my reported 50%. .....
If I used your same logic and manipulated the data to make a point, I could say that from 1999 to 2007 that the car count increased 4%. (The high from 1999 was 49 and the high from 2007 was 51)

However, if you looked at the data from an objective point of view, you would not look at a one night high or a one night low, but the average for the year. When you look at the average for the year for the 10 year period, one would say exactly what Parks said. With the exception of last year, the car counts have been fairly consistent. In fact, in the early years of the decade there was an actually increase in the average car count.

If you are going to use numbers to make your point, make sure that you are telling the whole truth and not the truth you want to make. Your 50% reduction post is not a truthful statement.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules