IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Power Steering for Race Cars
2/15/13, 10:26 AM   #1
Power Steering for Race Cars
DAD

Growing up in the 50's and 60's I had the chance to meet several of the better known drivers of the period. The one way you could always tell that they were drivers was by looking at their fore-arms and their hands. They all had arms that looked like pop-eye the sailor man's.

What would racing be like today had Power Steering never been invented?

Who would be the great drivers and who would have washed out?
Could Kyle Larson have made the cut?
How about Jeff Gordon?
Steve kinser?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/15/13 at 11:36 AM.

2/16/13, 9:57 AM   #2
Re: Power Stearing for Race Cars
TQ29m

That's why most of the good drivers then, were over the road truck drivers, no power steering on them big rigs then either! Bob!

2/16/13, 10:54 AM   #3
Tim

Not to let the cat out of the bag but you might want to keep your eyes open this year for a car without power steering.

Tim Simmons

2/16/13, 11:39 AM   #4
latemodel55

Or two.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/16/13, 11:59 AM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel55 View Post
Or two.

Posted via Mobile Device
Half way through the season you probably would not want to go and jump in either one of these guys face after a race.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: D.L. 122, Roy Bleckert
2/16/13, 12:02 PM   #6
Jerry Shaw

The drivers would be the same guys, for the most part. They would just look a little different. You can develop muscles and strength. The same can't be said for superior reflexes and situational awareness. That's what has always set these guys apart from average human beings.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 2/16/13 at 12:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: buck2
2/16/13, 12:28 PM   #7
rmr6nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
The drivers would be the same guys, for the most part. They would just look a little different. You can develop muscles and strength. The same can't be said for superior reflexes and situational awareness. That's what has always set these guys apart from average human beings.

Jerry
I’m not so sure that exactly would be the case. If you look at the history of the sport, there weren’t many kids running full blown midgets and sprints back in the day of non power steering cars that I’m aware of – though I’m sure other variables played a part.
Do we think Kyle Larson would have been out wheeling a sprint or midget around at 13 years old without ps? Gordon, Sweet, or any of the other ‘smaller in physical stature’ at a younger age?
Would parents have still been willing to spend the money when their kids were so young knowing the physical demands that would be placed on them – let alone allow them to get in the car? Would car owners still be out looking for the younger drivers?
I wonder how many of the younger drivers would have had the same opportunity, let alone be at the level they are now at such a young age … interesting -

2/16/13, 12:30 PM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post

Jerry
I'm trying to imagine a 17" steering wheel in a modern Indy car.

The smallest drivers in the past I can remember would be Wilbur Shaw and Murie Rose both small in stature but large in drive.

How many 14 year old boys or girls do you know that could man handle a 2000 pound sprint car on a rough dirt track for 40 laps with out power steering?

Honest Dad himself

2/16/13, 12:50 PM   #9
Re: Power Steering for Race Cars
Jerry Shaw

I didn't say a word about 13 or 14 year old kids. I just said that the drivers would be pretty much the same guys and that reflexes is and always has been the thing that sets the kind of guy that makes a great driver apart from the rest. Bryan Clauson was the only true prodigy in recent times that was beating grown ups before he was eligible for a drivers license, on a regular basis. And as good as he was at that age, he wasn't the driver then, that he is now. And Larson didn't really start his meteoric rise until he had hit about 18.

And if you go back a little bit, Chuck Amati, Joe Saldana, Doug Wolfgang, etc weren't big guys, but participating in this sport made them wiry, strong guys.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/16/13, 1:11 PM   #10
Re: Power Steering for Race Cars
DAD

Chuck and Joe did it without p/s to start out with not sure about Wolf. Those guys also started out full grown because of the rules back then and on little skinny tires without a lot of castor.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/16/13 at 1:18 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Power Steering for Race Cars