IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Speeddrome
4/2/09, 7:41 PM   #1
Speeddrome
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:kookooA 410 SPRINT CAR IS LIKE PUTTING A WET NOODLE IN A WILDCAT ASS ON A 1/5 MILE FLAT TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang!

4/2/09, 8:15 PM   #2
Re: Speeddrome
Tony Barhorst

That is no doubt dangerous. Duke I know you drove a sprint car, but did you try the wildcat thing?...I know you have had a few exploits off the record.

I am looking for video of the August 2000 Auto Value Super Sprint race at the Speedrome. Anyone know who may have it? D.O. does not, and neither does Jeff Converse.

4/2/09, 9:21 PM   #3
micro94

I myself dont see this working.As for superdukes impression of it I dont think I can top that one.But midgets half to beat and bang to pass around there,a sprint car just isnt going to work in my opinion but its MY opinion so it doesnt count to any of you.My thought of this though is in order to run a quick lap around the speedrome you half to run the bottom.If and I say if,the leader screws up and spins or something of that nature there is going to be 10 cars parked on his rear bumper and 15th place will win with a half lap to go.By the way.He will be the one a half lap behind so he can get by it all.

4/2/09, 9:49 PM   #4
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro94 View Post
I myself dont see this working.As for superdukes impression of it I dont think I can top that one.But midgets half to beat and bang to pass around there,a sprint car just isnt going to work in my opinion but its MY opinion so it doesnt count to any of you.My thought of this though is in order to run a quick lap around the speedrome you half to run the bottom.If and I say if,the leader screws up and spins or something of that nature there is going to be 10 cars parked on his rear bumper and 15th place will win with a half lap to go.By the way.He will be the one a half lap behind so he can get by it all.
THANK YOU!:applaud:

4/2/09, 9:51 PM   #5
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
That is no doubt dangerous. Duke I know you drove a sprint car, but did you try the wildcat thing?...I know you have had a few exploits off the record.

I am looking for video of the August 2000 Auto Value Super Sprint race at the Speedrome. Anyone know who may have it? D.O. does not, and neither does Jeff Converse.
GOOD LUCK:headbang

4/2/09, 9:56 PM   #6
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony barhorst View Post
that is no doubt dangerous. Duke i know you drove a sprint car, but did you try the wildcat thing?...i know you have had a few exploits off the record.

I am looking for video of the august 2000 auto value super sprint race at the speedrome. Anyone know who may have it? D.o. Does not, and neither does jeff converse.

rotflmao about the wildcat and the noodle.

4/2/09, 10:19 PM   #7
Tony Barhorst

Just for the record..read our press release quotes here:

The pileup that was described earlier in this thread did not happen when AVSS was there. I think there were two yellows. Here are quotes dealing with questions about running at the Speedrome:

Remember, July 19 has HOSS AND the Midgets:

The Hoosier Outlaw Sprint Series, formed in 2001, competes at such high-speed tracks as Salem Speedway and Winchester Speedway. Its cars use 410 cubic-inch engines that produce 800-850 horsepower. Geoff Kaiser, who competes regularly in the Rumble Series midgets, is the defending series champion.

"Our guys are really excited about it," said Tony Swanson, who owns the HOSS series with his wife, Deb. "When you get to a venue that small, there'll be a lot of passing and it should keep the field fairly even. It should be a really exciting event. We've never been on a track that small, and we've never run a 100-lapper.

"If we get 20 cars, like we usually do, it'll be a gunshoot to see who comes out of it."

Veteran driver Jeff Bloom, who finished third in the 2000 race, compared wrestling a winged sprint car around the Speedrome to driving a NASCAR stock car at Bristol or Martinsville.

"It's tenuous," Bloom said of the driving style required. "You're not on the throttle that much. These are 410 sprint cars, but it's really kind of simple, because you're not going 160 or 170 (mph) like we're used to. It takes patience -- lots and lots of patience. If anybody watched Bristol or watches Martinsville, it'll be the same thing. Patience."
Yet the 2000 race -- won by Gary Fedewa, who started eighth -- provided plenty of passing.

"You gotta remember, we have wings on, and we can adjust them," Bloom said. "If the track changes, guys can adjust (the handling). You'll see cars running up through the field."
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 4/2/09 at 10:22 PM.

4/3/09, 8:37 AM   #8
Seadog

Quote:

The pileup that was described earlier in this thread did not happen when AVSS was there. I think there were two yellows. Here are quotes dealing with questions about running at the Speedrome:

The Hoosier Outlaw Sprint Series, formed in 2001, competes at such high-speed tracks as Salem Speedway and Winchester Speedway. Its cars use 410 cubic-inch engines that produce 800-850 horsepower. Geoff Kaiser, who competes regularly in the Rumble Series midgets, is the defending series champion.

"Our guys are really excited about it," said Tony Swanson, who owns the HOSS series with his wife, Deb. "When you get to a venue that small, there'll be a lot of passing and it should keep the field fairly even. It should be a really exciting event. We've never been on a track that small, and we've never run a 100-lapper.

"If we get 20 cars, like we usually do, it'll be a gunshoot to see who comes out of it."

Veteran driver Jeff Bloom, who finished third in the 2000 race, compared wrestling a winged sprint car around the Speedrome to driving a NASCAR stock car at Bristol or Martinsville.

"It's tenuous," Bloom said of the driving style required. "You're not on the throttle that much. These are 410 sprint cars, but it's really kind of simple, because you're not going 160 or 170 (mph) like we're used to. It takes patience -- lots and lots of patience. If anybody watched Bristol or watches Martinsville, it'll be the same thing. Patience."
Yet the 2000 race -- won by Gary Fedewa, who started eighth -- provided plenty of passing.

"You gotta remember, we have wings on, and we can adjust them," Bloom said. "If the track changes, guys can adjust (the handling). You'll see cars running up through the field."
I'll take Jeff Bloom's opinion on this as the one to take to the bank. He's "been there and done that" for more years than just about anyone still doing it today. Almost 40 years IIRC. SUPERDUKE may have a point also, but how many times has SUPERDUKE driven a winged pavement sprint car?

I think it could be a great show.

4/3/09, 9:11 AM   #9
LEADERS EDGE

It will work. It worked before. It may not be the most interesting race; then again it may be the most interesting race there, but the drivers will figure it out.

I forget the name of the division they used to run at the Speedrome, but they had an unlimited stock car division that was extremely fast that they ran all of the time in the early 80's. With the wings the track will widen out in the corners once they get it blown off.

4/3/09, 9:36 AM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:

160 170 (MPH) *** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????????? WHERE DO YOU GO THAT FAST????????????? IS THIS A WWF PROMOTION?:rolling I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE THE GOLD CROWN CARS RUN A 100 LAP RACE THRU THE X! THAT WOULD SELL TICKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:checkered:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Speeddrome