IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help please! 08 r1 no spark
6/19/16, 10:30 PM   #1
Help please! 08 r1 no spark
DAVE BOOS

A couple weeks ago I had 2 coil packs go bad, fixed problem-easy fix, car ran great. Last sat night car ran great for hot laps and heat started right up with starter no problems, went to go out for main event car cranked over fine with starter but would not light, I pushed him off with ATV it fired right up he ran main car ran great, had to be pushed off again during main after a red flag, again car fired up ran fine. Now is when things get ugly, after main went to fire up car again and nothing, wont even start with being pushed by ATV. Ive got plenty of fuel pressure its getting fuel cause it was blowing out pipe at me while pushing, just not lighting. I pushed it in trailer that night, started checking things out today and there is no spark at all on any of the coils. I replaced battery (getting a little sluggish) replaced all terminal ends for all my ground wires, I checked ohms on crank position sensor (within parameters that Yamaha calls for) I swapped out another cam position sensor I had off another motor ive got, Checked ohm reading on stator (good)still have got no spark! Im at a loss here folks! When I turn on ignition switch I here the normal clicking that the injection makes so I know that is all working fine, batteries got plenty of voltage (its new, it should) one other thing that was a little strange after main is I got a really weird reading on my tach saying that it only ran 1800 rpm, not sure if that's related to anything but thought id throw that out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dave

6/19/16, 11:33 PM   #2
Barr

Sounds,like maybe a ground is,missing. Or have you checked your TPS sensor

6/20/16, 1:37 AM   #3
DAVE BOOS

I know I'm not missing any grounds in certain of that, would a tps sensor yield no spark at all? Forgive me for not knowing but I'm a little green on all this electronic fuel injection stuff.

6/20/16, 1:46 AM   #4
DirtHawk92

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 8

Possibly magneto or stater??

6/20/16, 9:48 AM   #5
Re: Help please! 08 r1 no spark
DAVE BOOS

I checked stator and it ohms good, even if stator is bad it should still spark with a full battery since stator is for recharging battery. Its driving me crazy, cant figure out what is going on.

6/20/16, 10:15 AM   #6
Barr

Check all you grounds. By missing one, I mean you may have a broke groud in your harness. I had a,broken ground on our 06 and had no spark. I know if the tps goes bad it wont fire. Not sure if it contols the fuel or spark.

6/20/16, 10:46 AM   #7
cmiracingvids

Id also check the ground wires. If it's not grounded properly somewhere, it won't fire. Everything comes on like normal just no ignition. I had a bad connection right at the battery once and it wouldn't fire. Luckily I started with the easy stuff and found it right away. But there's lots of places grounds go to. Not likely it's a break in the wire somewhere but it is possible. Hopefully you won't have to get that far. Good luck!

6/20/16, 11:07 AM   #8
Re: Help please! 08 r1 no spark
TQ29m

Do you run ALL of your grounds back to the battery? I found out long ago, that somewhere, if it isn't grounded to the battery, it will bite you, I know it's trouble, but it's the best. Bob

6/20/16, 1:31 PM   #9
DAVE BOOS

First of all I would like to thank all of you that took the time to respond to my post! I figured it out , I had a spare ignition coil wiring harness in trailer so I threw it on and it's got spark now, turns out after checking continuity on all wires in harness the little blue wire on harness for cam position sensor had a break in it and if you wiggle wire back and forth you can get it to connect and disconnect , so that was the problem after all . Thanks again! Dave

5 members like this post: Backitin, Barr, bigq11, cmiracingvids, DirtHawk92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help please! 08 r1 no spark