IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TSN Motorsports (Offline)
  #1 3/20/14 10:57 AM
Ok, I need help. I will be racing out of state for the first time this year. I just need help with my requirements for my truck and trailer.

I will be using an F350 and a 26 foot enclosed with business sponsorship on the side.

I will be traveling from Indiana to Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio and Illinois.

Do I need DOT Numbers?
Log Book?
Weight Stations?
Other stuff?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice.

RBJ
JstAbvVMC (Offline)
  #2 3/20/14 1:37 PM
There is no simple answer to your question. As a retired CA Traffic and Commercial Enforcement Officer, I can give you the information and you can decide. I know some may disagree but this is my information.

First off the USDOT rules are Federal Requirements. Any state wishing to get federal highway funds is “required” to adopt these enforcement regulations. If not the fed’s refused their federal highway funds. CA battled the fed’s for years and eventually were forced to give in or loose millions in highway funds. The catch is all states are required to adopt the rules, but there is no requirement that they are enforced.

MOST CA, and I suspect other states; commercial officers do not want to deal with the weekend warriors. In CA if it doesn’t have air brakes and is not truly “for hire” we don’t want to be bothered with you. States like Indiana where their lifeblood is racing, I would assume they turn a blind eye too.

The old myths about registering your totter as a “motor home” or putting “not for hire” on the side does not do any good under the reg’s. (see below). The issue is the use of the word “commerce” in the regulation and that is what creates room for “interpretation”. Now some states may use the theory that if you have markings on the side of your trailer then you are commercial. That may be the case, BUT it isn’t anywhere in the DOT reg’s. The DOT regulation is cut and pasted right out of the DOT law guide. In CA chances are slim to none that you will ever be stopped with decals on your trailer. I was stopped once in NM for this very thing and it took me some time to talk my way out of a citation. But that was before CA adopted the USDOT rules.

Actually my concern would be insurance issues. Many policies may not cover you in a collision as many have limitations requiring that you and the vehicle are operating legally and are properly licensed. In a crash you know any insurance company is looking for a way out of covering a claim. I would get a written letter from my agent that you and the rig are “covered”. I did that very thing when I had mine.

Good Luck,

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—
(1) Has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or
(2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or (3) and (4) apply to busses..
Honest-Sam (Offline)
  #3 3/20/14 2:31 PM
Several years ago, Eric and I were pulled over on I-70 about 40 miles east of Indy. We were driving a Ford dually and a tag trailer. Motor Carrier Enforcement asked us if we raced for money or trophies. Said that because we race for money, i.e., money is paid to us even if we spend WAY more than we take in, then you ARE commercial. Had to go to the next exit's truck stop and buy a few items, such as a set of reflective triangles, etc. By the way, we were pulled over because we had a tail light out.
TSN Motorsports (Offline)
  #4 3/20/14 3:00 PM
ok.. Looks like a mess!!! I do appreciate your guys help!
sc96 (Offline)
  #5 3/20/14 3:44 PM
We own and operate a trucking company if your ID plate on the truck and trailer added together are in excess of 26,000 u will be required to have a CDL a DOT number and a KYU number for Kentucky you will also be required to file a unified carrier report and also a mcs -150 your insurance will also need to be updated.
sprntr (Offline)
  #6 3/20/14 6:21 PM
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam:
Several years ago, Eric and I were pulled over on I-70 about 40 miles east of Indy. We were driving a Ford dually and a tag trailer. Motor Carrier Enforcement asked us if we raced for money or trophies. Said that because we race for money, i.e., money is paid to us even if we spend WAY more than we take in, then you ARE commercial. Had to go to the next exit's truck stop and buy a few items, such as a set of reflective triangles, etc. By the way, we were pulled over because we had a tail light out.
It's about the same in Minnesota & Wisconsin. If the race pays a purse, you are in commercial service & must display DOT numbers, have current inspection, have proper Commercial Insurance, health card & log book. Wisconsin DOT Enforcement has been known to set up Mobile Inspection Sites right outside the Pit Gate at some tracks. It is technically ILLEGAL to operate a vehicle licensed as an RV in Commercial Service.

steiny
AustinSprinter (Offline)
  #7 3/21/14 7:49 PM
10-4 on a Commercial vehicle, weather its used as an RV or not, being operated by someone not properly schooled, trained or "DoT" Certified to do so, should be against the Law!!..for all our Safety on the Road!!......
  #8 3/21/14 10:35 PM
Do you need to have Placards (sp) If your caring extra fuel? Also be sure all liquids such as oil, fuels, generator fuels are secured in case of accident, and covered under insurance policy. EPA gets nasty and very costly to clean up a spill.
AustinSprinter (Offline)
  #9 3/21/14 11:05 PM
All Comm. Veh. that carry Haz, over the designated specific amounts, are required to Placard on all sides!!...for specifics bout POV's for Rec.use purposes....check with DMV/DoT to get correct answers !!.........
  #10 3/21/14 11:13 PM
USDOT rule was no more than 100 gallons of fuel for the motive equipment being carried. So no more than 100 hundred gallons of methanol for the sprint car.

Please look at the DOT reg's though because it has been awhile for me. You can always call the Scales Office or Trooper Office and ask their commercial guys questions.

I would always help anyone that called us and I usually ended up learning something new in the process. And don't ask the regular patrol guys they usually won't know !!!