IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora
9/21/14, 1:05 PM   #1
Eldora
Sprintcarfanatic

Don't know if they do this or not but if you couldn't make it back today they should have some way of entering your ticket # so you could watch from your computer. Good or bad idea ?

1 member likes this post: reeserx
9/21/14, 1:42 PM   #2
Re: Eldora
rgant

Yeah it would be nice. We waited until 12:30am and had to call it quits. Had a hour and a half drive ahead of us. Got to bed at 2:30am up at 7:30am for the F1 race and saw that they FINALLY called the race and re-scheduled for today at noon, nice going USAC. Yeah, yeah, they can't control the weather, but they can be a little less clueless about treating paying fans right. But seeing Rico go from outside row three to first before exiting turn 2 then gap the field in his heat was worth the hassle. Midget car count not so good or is it just me?

1 member likes this post: speed bump
9/21/14, 1:42 PM   #3
RichH

Good idea IMO

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/21/14, 2:15 PM   #4
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Wait a minute..... You got up at 7:30 to watch the F1 race! ???!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/21/14, 3:08 PM   #5
TWagner73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgant View Post
Yeah it would be nice. We waited until 12:30am and had to call it quits. Had a hour and a half drive ahead of us. Got to bed at 2:30am up at 7:30am for the F1 race and saw that they FINALLY called the race and re-scheduled for today at noon, nice going USAC. Yeah, yeah, they can't control the weather, but they can be a little less clueless about treating paying fans right. But seeing Rico go from outside row three to first before exiting turn 2 then gap the field in his heat was worth the hassle. Midget car count not so good or is it just me?
It was not USAC call, stayed till they called it. Was talking to several track officials and USAC officials during the delay. All said the track was making call because they were being told by the weather service there was a window they thought they could get in.

9/21/14, 6:16 PM   #6
rgant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer View Post
Wait a minute..... You got up at 7:30 to watch the F1 race! ???!
Yes, I did. Up until about 12 I spent many a night as a lad at Manzanita watching midgets and sprints. When the Indy cars came to town we'd go watch those. Then we moved to California and it was a lot more drag racing with some open wheel. At about 15 attending any races slowed way down. I was in San Diego and Ascot Park was about the closest track so when I was on my own at 18 it was just too far from me. Went to turkey night a few times. Sooo ESPN started carrying F1 on a regular basis at that time and I watched and really liked it. Hooked ever since. Fast forward many years and now I live near Dayton and there's tracks all over so I'm starting to get back into open wheel. Kil_Kare is about 3 miles from my house and I had heard that the owner was going to build a 1/2 mile dirt oval. No clue if it's true but I really hope so.

9/21/14, 6:20 PM   #7
rgant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWagner73 View Post
It was not USAC call, stayed till they called it. Was talking to several track officials and USAC officials during the delay. All said the track was making call because they were being told by the weather service there was a window they thought they could get in.
Thanks for setting me straight, I had just assumed it was USAC's call. I've been out of open wheel racing a long time, so is it normal for the race to be held so early the next day. Makes it tough to come back for some folks.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
9/21/14, 7:08 PM   #8
Sprintcarfanatic

I thought I heard them say it was USAC.

We hung out till 1:15 & I got into bed about the same time around 2:30 & was awakend by a rubber ball in the face around 10 till 8 compliments of the grandkid.

1 member likes this post: Flatrightrear
9/21/14, 7:50 PM   #9
Flatrightrear

OK, so how much better was the racing Saturday night over the Outlaw show? I wasn't there and hope someone might do a mini-report or a full-blown editorial if one is so moved.

9/22/14, 12:37 PM   #10
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
OK, so how much better was the racing Saturday night over the Outlaw show? I wasn't there and hope someone might do a mini-report or a full-blown editorial if one is so moved.
Tom,

The WoO cars were spectacularly fast, but lacked the exciting slide jobs and passing that was a cornerstone of the Saturday night program. I had a good time both nights, but far more so on Saturday night until the rains came. My wife enjoyed the USAC program much more because she had never heard of most of the WoO drivers. We went back to the track for the Sunday afternoon finale, and it was definitely an action filled program. We did decide to leave with about six laps remaining in the Silver Crown feature, and apparently there was a lot of action in the final five laps. That tends to happen in Silver Crown races, where tire wear becomes a deciding factor quite often. I should have known better than to leave before the last lap or two.
The Sunday afternoon running caused us to arrive at Gray Brothers Cafeteria right at the peak of the supper rush, resulting in a longer than usual wait in the serving line. We still arrived home before 10:00PM, feeling tired but entertained.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dctracy79, Flatrightrear
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora