IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Engine History – Non-winners
4/24/17, 9:32 PM   #11
Re: Chili Bowl Engine History – Non-winners
crash67

I wouldn't be too quick to condemn pro engine builders on cost
Engine development is very time consuming and a lot of dry runs come with the deal.
Credit Ron Hoettels in Milwaukee for the original motorcycle V8
It's correct to say this engine would last as long as D2 Ecotec PROVIDED all details are worked out.
4 valves mean lighter springs and longer lasting seats. ditto pistons and rings
Perhaps Synergy has got it there. They use a billet block, Hoettels' was cast. Oiling was an issue.
I think the attachment is from 1987 when we went to the Chili Bowl.
Vogler liked to win everything including hot laps. This car was faster. Lots of power and the car put it down.
Suzuki GXR 1000cc air cooled cylinder heads. BUT, we ran into problems (can't remember exactly what) and got sidelined early.
Last race with this engine was a USAC show at Moberly MO. Engine started slowing down coming off 4 on first lap of time trials. Pulled off as soon as crossed finish line. Set fast time. Done for the night, lost rod bearing on #5.
Check the price of a Synergy engine. Not cheap but, from my experience, they deserve what they ask.
Attached Images
suzuki v8.jpg (58.1 KB, 129 views)

4/24/17, 10:14 PM   #12
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash67 View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to condemn pro engine builders on cost
Engine development is very time consuming and a lot of dry runs come with the deal.
Credit Ron Hoettels in Milwaukee for the original motorcycle V8
It's correct to say this engine would last as long as D2 Ecotec PROVIDED all details are worked out.
4 valves mean lighter springs and longer lasting seats. ditto pistons and rings
Perhaps Synergy has got it there. They use a billet block, Hoettels' was cast. Oiling was an issue.
I think the attachment is from 1987 when we went to the Chili Bowl.
Vogler liked to win everything including hot laps. This car was faster. Lots of power and the car put it down.
Suzuki GXR 1000cc air cooled cylinder heads. BUT, we ran into problems (can't remember exactly what) and got sidelined early.
Last race with this engine was a USAC show at Moberly MO. Engine started slowing down coming off 4 on first lap of time trials. Pulled off as soon as crossed finish line. Set fast time. Done for the night, lost rod bearing on #5.
Check the price of a Synergy engine. Not cheap but, from my experience, they deserve what they ask.
Thanks Crash. Great info.

My notes say J.R. Miller was part of the 1989 Chili Bowl.

I always thought Hoettels was credited with SESCO. I did not know about the motorcycle V8.

How many races were on the engine before it failed?

Bart

4/24/17, 10:46 PM   #13
crash67

Bart,
Well, if I can't even remember what year it was for Chili Bowl, I'd be pressed to give an accurate time on the motor. Took it apart quite a bit.

Bearings were the wear items, particularly that #5. Don't know whether it was too much clearance in the mains as they wore that kept enough flow getting to the rods or whether it was simply a design issue. Perhaps Synergy has a rigid enough block allowing tighter clearances similar to motorcycle engines. We engineered a "floating" front engine mount so it wasn't frame / car flex transferring into the engine.

Had both a long stroke and short stroke variation. Long stroke quit at about 10,300. Had amazing low end. Very driver friendly. Short stroke peaked at 11,200, torque curve not very flat. It was the short stroke motor that lost the bearing at Moberly. Moberly is fast and allowed wide open all the way around so the short stroke motor was ok there...until it wasn't.

4/25/17, 11:41 AM   #14
wingless1

If I'm not mistaken, Colorado's Rory Peachey finished 16th in the A feature in 1988 driving a Stewart chassis car with Cosworth Vega power, owned by Rossi Morris out of New Mexico.

4/25/17, 10:20 PM   #15
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Robert bell has a "d2" Chevy ecotec from zero Motorsports if I remember correctly
Murdock at Zero Motorsports said it was a D2 legal engine, what he won the Allstar Midget series title with in 2016.

I was in the pit next to Bell when he pulled in after his heat win. It was crazy with the camera crew and the other drivers there to congratulate him!

Bart

5/16/17, 8:58 PM   #16
bart

Anybody else have any engine stories from the Chili Bowl?

Bart

5/16/17, 9:17 PM   #17
zerospeed

There's a Boyles V6 package floating around in Missouri. It doesn't make a whole ton of power but from what I hear it isn't bad. It would be interesting to see what could be done with it if it were modded out.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Engine History – Non-winners