IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #31 10/17/17 9:49 AM
There is one video on youtube. Think it might have been the CRA/USAC showdown in the 90s? That shows them dumping bags of powder onto the track in a daytime race at Terre Haute. Not sure what it was but they were dumping it straight from the bags.

Staab always swore Mel Johnson at the Burg would dump detergent in the water truck and it would keep the track tacky but greasy back in the 80s. Said it was never the same twice. But you could go out after a whole night of racing and it would still suck your shoe off and you could see where the clay just kept rolling every time a car leaned into it. Usually with a 2ft curb at the top.
Of course the track sat in 4ft of water all winter and the water table was only a couple ft below the track at most times of the year.

You Tube Video

Charles Nungester
sw1911 (Offline)
  #32 10/17/17 8:26 PM
Originally Posted by Simon_says17:
I noticed they were spreading calcium chloride on the track throughout the night to try and keep moisture in it. Do any other tracks do that?

I just wish the guy was not standing on the tongue of the spreader. That had a fatal accident written all over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #33 10/17/17 8:40 PM
According to Track Enterprises the material put on the track was "Just a positive mixture of a few things to attempt to keep a little more moisture in the track."
8 Likes: bighd0522, Charles Nungester, Danny Burton, Dirtfan, flagboy55, Pat O'Connor Fan, ronmil, tirespinner
Simon_says17 (Offline)
  #34 10/18/17 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
According to Track Enterprises the material put on the track was "Just a positive mixture of a few things to attempt to keep a little more moisture in the track."
I like it! Mum's the word
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, duel, erich45, flagboy55
ByronMack (Offline)
  #35 10/18/17 4:30 PM
Was a great race. It was my first time to Terre Haute, absolutely loved the track, now just have to get to kokomo next year and I'll have all the dirt tracks in Indiana visited. As for the last race, got one left this Sat night at tri state, should be a great show.
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, duel, flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, Kydehart, oppweld, Simon_says17
ByronMack (Offline)
  #36 10/18/17 4:32 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Sounds like you guys had a good show from what I read, wish I could have made it. A friend of mine on twitter described the track as perfect, while my former engine builder called it dusty and slick. Would like to hear some other opinions
Very little dust, multiple lanes, throwing sliders one after another, was a great race.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Kydehart, oppweld, Simon_says17
addictedtodirt (Offline)
  #37 10/18/17 6:48 PM
Originally Posted by ByronMack:
Was a great race. It was my first time to Terre Haute, absolutely loved the track, now just have to get to kokomo next year and I'll have all the dirt tracks in Indiana visited. As for the last race, got one left this Sat night at tri state, should be a great show.
You just may have left the best for last!
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #38 10/18/17 7:53 PM
After talking to my friend, he said he may have gotten spoiled from great racing and a great track at FALS the week prior. Also said his shoes still haven't dried out from walking through the pits there. Sounds like a great race, how the action track should be. When it's right, it's among the best and certainly one of the most historic.