IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bunker Hill (IN) possibly reopening? Anyone heard anything?
11/20/17, 6:56 PM   #1
Bunker Hill (IN) possibly reopening? Anyone heard anything?
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Had a friend from Lafayette area message me on Facebook over the weekend and said his brother showed him a picture of work being done there building a new wall and what possibly looked like new grandstands. Anyone heard anything down that way? Last I heard the guy that owns the dragstrip and the speedway wanted about $750,000 - $800,000 for both or $650,000 for the dragstrip and $200,000 for the dirt track. Just wondered if anyone has been by the dirt track lately just off of 31.

11/21/17, 7:09 AM   #2
Re: Bunker Hill (IN) possibly reopening? Anyone heard anythi
HighsideFan

You sure he wasn't talking about the 600 Mini track, Circus City (formerly Miami County) Speedway? It's north of Bunker Hill in Peru, but they redid some wall and fence stuff in the summer and just removed the old grandstands to put in new ones last week.

Bunker Hill Drag Strip and Speedway were both owned by the same person and were at one time listed together, but the drag strip sold on its own and now they are owned by two different people. The drag strip is once again listed for sale by the new owner, but the previous owner and current owner of the speedway still has the oval track listed for sale I don't think any work is currently being done there. The wall remains intact, a common misconception because of how tall the grass is and how the track was cut into the ground, so there isn't a need for extensive wall work. It's one of the few things the track doesn't sorely need.

Although how cool would it be to see old Bunker Hell opening back up?

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, WinglessLovers, worm
11/21/17, 12:22 PM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighsideFan View Post
You sure he wasn't talking about the 600 Mini track, Circus City (formerly Miami County) Speedway? It's north of Bunker Hill in Peru, but they redid some wall and fence stuff in the summer and just removed the old grandstands to put in new ones last week.

Bunker Hill Drag Strip and Speedway were both owned by the same person and were at one time listed together, but the drag strip sold on its own and now they are owned by two different people. The drag strip is once again listed for sale by the new owner, but the previous owner and current owner of the speedway still has the oval track listed for sale I don't think any work is currently being done there. The wall remains intact, a common misconception because of how tall the grass is and how the track was cut into the ground, so there isn't a need for extensive wall work. It's one of the few things the track doesn't sorely need.

Although how cool would it be to see old Bunker Hell opening back up?
No. He said the old dirt track at Bunker Hill.

11/21/17, 1:09 PM   #4
HighsideFan

Well I can assure you he was mistaken, because it still sits dormant with nothing done to it.

Circus City on the other hand, located in the same county, has had extensive work done to it and just tore down the bleachers last week.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, WinglessLovers
11/21/17, 5:50 PM   #5
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

12 miles from Kokomo. if someone is working on that track, they need their head examined

1 member likes this post: TCR57
11/22/17, 8:52 AM   #6
RBurns17

It's really not all that crazy. Bunker Hill always did fine and had a strong cult following. The problem is that a promoter would build it up and then the owner would demand more money each race night to lease it. When it was established he would end their lease and then put his own people to work running it back into the ground. It offers an experience you can't get at any other track in the area. At one point it was running afternoons on nights Kokomo would run and drawing 100+ cars each week.

There are three nights a week for races and one of them is pretty wide open in the area right now. Past that, over 80% of Kokomo's attendees come from hours away because local fans could take or leave the sterile environment. It works great for them, but there is absolutely room for another track in the area if promoted properly.

That said, it would never work as a sprint car track. But as a stock car track with mods at the helm, it's profitable at 15 cars in each of four classes and 500 people in the stands, an easily achievable number without it being under the thumb of the drag strip any longer. Too bad the owner robbed the stands and sold off tens of thousands of dollars worth of track prep equipment for pennies or we might have seen it happen.

To a lot of people there really is nothing better than plopping a chair down in the turn in front of your car and watching good racing with your feet in the grass.
Last edited by RBurns17; 11/22/17 at 9:06 AM.

3 members like this post: Rich Mersereau, WinglessLovers, worm
11/22/17, 11:51 AM   #7
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Kokomo is a "sterile environment"?
Yeah, it has amenities but it's no Lucas Oil Stadium; I hadn't heard the rationale
that people won't go somewhere because it's too nice...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

11/22/17, 12:10 PM   #8
RBurns17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Kokomo is a "sterile environment"?
I hadn't heard the rationale
that people won't go somewhere because it's too nice...
Now you're just putting words in my mouth.

But yeah, when a facility is so worried about selling their $1 canned coke and $2 hot dogs they're telling people they can't enter with a bottle for their baby, yeah it tends to feel a little sterile.

I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with it. But some fans like a more relaxed setting where you can sit in the grass and enjoy a race. There are more than enough of them to sustain another track in the area.

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
11/22/17, 3:34 PM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I see what you're saying, not sure I'd have used "sterile", maybe "restrictive" but point taken.
Guess it's tough to know where to draw the line between "user friendly" and turning a profit, but going back to the Lucas Oil Stadium (or Banker's Life, Victory Field, insert Pro Stick-and-Ball facility here) analogy, Kokomo's transgressions pale in comparison. At least anybody can freely tailgate at Kokomo, and go back out to the car any time for personally-obtained refreshment. a fair tradeoff for the level of entertainment there to me.
Sorry to go a bit off-topic; to go even further, Happy Thanksgiving!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 11/22/17 at 3:39 PM.

11/22/17, 4:58 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I wouldn't say 80% of Kokomo attendees are non area residents. Not even close. I've gone to reg shows and they have a good crowd..

What I'd love to see is Montpelier take fri nights and alternate sprints and midgets.. A few of the waynesfield guys would fill in. and whats left of the reg gas city regs.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bunker Hill (IN) possibly reopening? Anyone heard anything?