IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Dream
5/25/15, 9:16 PM   #1
My Dream
tylowe1995

My dream is to be a racecar driver. I want to eventually race sprint cars. I have no experience. Where should I start???

3 members like this post: DAD, oldfan49, wideopen24
5/25/15, 10:00 PM   #2
Slidejob

Bring a wheel barrow full of money

5/25/15, 10:17 PM   #3
Re: My Dream
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Good luck! I hope you make it!

5/26/15, 2:38 AM   #4
Can26

Find a team that will take you on. Start by scraping mud and fetching tools. Learn from the bottom up. By the time you have learned enough about running a car, you should have learned enough about having a car.

3 members like this post: DAD, oldfan49, sprintracer82
5/26/15, 7:43 AM   #5
griffithracing

I'd suggest starting at kart racing. Dirt track or pavement whichever you are closest too... Or even a compact or street stock class if you have funding.

5/26/15, 8:19 AM   #6
DAD

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1608935&type=1 Ty I noticed this add this morning on facebook. You don't see car owners advertising very often for drivers but this guy is legitimate. You might give him a try and see what he has or If nothing else he states what he is looking for in a drivers resume and that should give you something to work towards.

Honest Dad himself

5/26/15, 8:36 AM   #7
Jonr

In order to know where you need to start, you need to do an honest assessment of where you are currently at. The first car/kart that you will drive at the track will be the one that you purchase yourself. Therefore, you need to look at what you can afford to put on the track. If you have the financial means to fund a sprint car team yourself, then I would do as others suggested and find a sprint car team that needs some pit assistance. If you have the financial means to fund a micro team , then go find a micro team that needs some pit assistance. Keep moving down the list, stock cars, Karts until you find your entry point. When looking for a team to help, remember that you are trying to gain experience. You want to find the team that only has none or one working in it. Not the team that has 5-6 guys working in it. Finally, if you can find someone that also needs help during the week and you can help in the garage that would be the best.

If you do not currently have the financial means to afford any type of car, then look around for the opportunity that is going to be the best learning experience and the most fun. In the entry level classes, there are guys out there racing with the help of their girl friend or with no one in the pits. If you can find one of these guys who you could help, they would be incredibly grateful, and would allow you a lot of freedom to learn. In the bigger teams, you may make it into the victory lane pictures more often, but it may take you many more years to learn because of the dynamics of the team.

Good luck.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, kart31rac, oldfan49
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > My Dream