IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Adolph (Offline)
  #1 7/4/21 6:47 AM
Mini-Sprint driver Levi Whitehouse reportedly had a shattered knee cap, broken rib and punctured lung. The paramedics locked themselves out of the ambulance for about 10 minutes and the driver was hunched over leaning against ambulance getting no worthwhile aid. It was not a shinning moment for safety crew. He was eventually air lifted out of infield.
RedRacer07 (Offline)
  #2 7/4/21 8:14 AM
Definitely a bad time for a mistake. Very unfortunate. I will not report specifics on driver condition (maybe rumors), but will add I am relieved what I have read this morning.
2 Likes: Pete Wright, tirespinner
Truphy (Offline)
  #3 7/4/21 9:06 AM
I was wondering how’s that possible? I would think like on fire trucks and ambulances there would be some where on the outside that could be pushed to unlock it in an emergency such as last night? Why don’t all drivers of the ambulance have extra keys on themselves or even a hideaway key? Anyways that was definitely a first for me seeing someone airlifted out. I think everyone did a good job clearing the infield and setting up a circle for the helicopter to land in.
VSneader2 (Offline)
  #4 7/4/21 9:13 AM
A first for me as well. His wife commented on a post on facebook with the following

"They heard a pop in his lung and were saying collapsed lung and possible shattered knee. We’re at the hospital now and he’s doing okay."
5 Likes: Bostonian, openwheelfan1, oppweld, RedRacer07, tirespinner
Jonr (Offline)
  #5 7/4/21 3:05 PM
Was this a private track owned ambulance or was it a paid service ambulance?
Bill Angel (Offline)
  #6 7/4/21 4:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Putnam County was on the door of the ambulance, and a 2nd one showed up soon after. I'm guessing they're from Putnam County Hospital
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #7 7/4/21 6:01 PM
Originally Posted by VSneader2:
A first for me as well. His wife commented on a post on facebook with the following

"They heard a pop in his lung and were saying collapsed lung and possible shattered knee. We’re at the hospital now and he’s doing okay."
I saw a FB post from Levi Singleton’s wife via MMSA’s FB page and she said that Levi has been released from the hospital at 5AM this morning (Sunday). No broken bones, no collapsed lung, POSSIBLY a fractured rib, but not yet determined. Sore but ready to get to work on the car.

Scary incident, but glad he seems to be okay.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, ronmil
Hubie48 (Offline)
  #8 7/5/21 6:10 AM
People make mistakes. I hope something is learned from this and as a bonus the injured driver seems to be on the mend.

Reminds me of a sad incident involving a borrowed helmet and no ambulance from several years ago.
Milly (Offline)
  #9 7/5/21 4:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Putnam County was on the door of the ambulance, and a 2nd one showed up soon after. I'm guessing they're from Putnam County Hospital

They are not affiliated with Putnam County Hospital!!