IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Random visits…
5/21/23, 9:23 PM   #1
Random visits…
JarrettFarms73

During a recent family trip to Cape Cod, we used the driving stops and layovers to go lay eyes on tracks we’ve never been. Sadly, there was no activity, but at least we have a better visual idea when we see/ hear news and results from them. Does anybody else’s family do this?

Canandaigua Speedway. I was al little underwhelmed with the lack of signage at the road considering how the town itself
looks, but hey, place was still pretty cool. For those that haven’t been there, it reminded me of a 1/2 mile Montpelier with a fairground attached.

Oswego Speedway. The Steel Palace did not disappoint! Shout out to the guy camping in the black lot. She shows her age the same way Fenway Park does- the layers of chipped paint and steel rivets speak directly to your soul. Was shocked how FLAT that place is for the speeds they run. Wow!! Is all i could say. I

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner, TQ29m
5/22/23, 6:02 AM   #2
motorhead748

I’ll always stop at a track if I’ve never been there

5/22/23, 9:13 AM   #3
JarrettFarms73

We stopped at Mottville (MI) during a trip to Middlebury/ Shipshe. Mottville is wild!! The close proximity of the trees in 3 and 4 without a permanent catch fence was mind blowing for a track that races full scale cars.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, tirespinner
5/22/23, 11:00 AM   #4
Re: Random visits…
cmakin

I have been doing this for some time. I remember back in 08 during Sprint Week, my (now) wife and I stopped by Winchester to check it out. We were allowed to take laps with my rental (Jeep Cherokee). First time I had ever been to the joint. Of course had seen it for years on TV. I have since shot a couple of shows there about 11 years ago now. The year before, we stopped by Eldora on our way from Gas City to the 'Burg. All was open. I had been there before, but the wife had not.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
5/22/23, 11:08 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

We used to go on amusement park vacations and rack up coaster credits. Hit seven or eight parks in a week. We went to six Flags new england, where Riverside raceway used to be. Williams Grove had a old amusement park across the street. So we went there. Im sure a couple others. Oh and we broke down (Timing Belt) in PA and got our car repaired at a shop a quarter mile up the street from Big Diamond.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, JarrettFarms73
5/22/23, 11:15 AM   #6
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
We stopped at Mottville (MI) during a trip to Middlebury/ Shipshe. Mottville is wild!! The close proximity of the trees in 3 and 4 without a permanent catch fence was mind blowing for a track that races full scale cars.
My understanding is the new owners are putting a wall up on the turn 3-4 end. I believe it is an insurance requirement that has prevented them from racing this season.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JarrettFarms73, jdull99, tirespinner
5/22/23, 11:21 AM   #7
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
We used to go on amusement park vacations and rack up coaster credits. Hit seven or eight parks in a week. We went to six Flags new england, where Riverside raceway used to be. Williams Grove had an old amusement park across the street. So we went there. Im sure a couple others. Oh and we broke down (Timing Belt) in PA and got our car repaired at a shop a quarter mile up the street from Big Diamond.
I’ve seen Seakonk from the highway, but once again, never any green flag laps. I’d love to see Big Diamond.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
5/22/23, 11:22 AM   #8
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheHammer View Post
My understanding is the new owners are putting a wall up on the turn 3-4 end. I believe it is an insurance requirement that has prevented them from racing this season.
I could believe that. And it doesn’t have any real banking before getting to the tree line like Putnamville does.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, OnTheHammer, tirespinner
5/22/23, 4:52 PM   #9
spicoli

A couple years before Manzanita closed, I pulled into their parking lot in a rental car one day while vacationing. Several gates were left open so I was able to nose up to the actual track, where I found they were working/watering the track. If they weren't working the track, I know I would have made a lap or two!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, JarrettFarms73
5/22/23, 10:58 PM   #10
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
I’d love to see Big Diamond.
Big Diamond is a place you don't have to worry about a Wal Mart or strip mall coming soon. The last time I was there, I slept in my van. I heard a horn honking as I was laying down, and a push truck was chasing a bear back into the woods. Was very cautious when I took a bathroom break that night.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Random visits…