IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trouble in calif. For usac cra
4/7/11, 7:06 PM   #1
Trouble in calif. For usac cra
SUPERDUKE
Banned

The promoters in ca want to cut the purses by $4000 no cars and few fans! There will be a meeting april 17 to take a car owners vote?

4/7/11, 7:30 PM   #2
Re: Trouble in calif. For usac cra
grinch

isn`t it the promoters job to get the fans to come?.........the race series job to bring enough cars?............

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
4/7/11, 8:19 PM   #3
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Maybe if a pint of domestic beer wasn't $7.00, the food wasn't some outlandish price or you didn't have to pay for parking, Perris would have some people in the stands. I love the place because of the racing, but they are far from fan friendly. The fair board or whoever keeps sticking it to the locals and then seem perplexed that no one shows up anymore. Then they want to blame the sanctioning body. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Riverside County, CA has been one of the hardest hit areas of the recession. I saw an newspaper article a few months ago that listed Perris, CA as having the most housing foreclosures per capita of any place in the country. These people have already taken a beating from the economy and the local race track wants to try to bleed them even more. Talk about kicking a guy when he's already down. WOW!

Here in Central PA we have as strong a fan base as any area in the country. We get more people on a normal Friday night at Williams Grove then Perris gets for the Oval Nationals on Saturday. Part of that is The Grove, Lincoln, Port Royal, Selinsgrove are all bargains for the entertainment dollar. They all charge reasonable prices on admission and food/beverage, not cheap, but reasonable. They also let you bring in coolers with food & beverage, In these tough economic times having that cooler with store bought food, beer & soda may be the only way a man can afford to have his family attend the races.

Bottom line, you can't get blood out of a turnip, so you better make changes before it's too late. But then it may already be too late. How sad is that?

4/7/11, 9:14 PM   #4
Roy Bleckert

nwjeff- Your right as a native of the area, the surrounding communities around the PAS have been hit hard the past 3 years economically

4/7/11, 11:19 PM   #5
dant

according to Chris Kearns.Perris only pays $8500 of the purse- USAC pays the balance..i guess from the moneys the midwest generates

4/8/11, 7:49 AM   #6
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff View Post
Maybe if a pint of domestic beer wasn't $7.00, the food wasn't some outlandish price or you didn't have to pay for parking, Perris would have some people in the stands. I love the place because of the racing, but they are far from fan friendly. The fair board or whoever keeps sticking it to the locals and then seem perplexed that no one shows up anymore. Then they want to blame the sanctioning body. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I would agree with a lot of that. Last year was the first time I made the trip so I've only been out there once. I LOVE the place, but the prices are high. I know the cost of living is more on the west coast, but I could see why it would be hard to attend all the time. One thing I really didn't agree with is that they wouldn't let people out via pass-out unless you had a pit pass (talking Ovals...might be different for other shows). I think people should be allowed to go to their cars if they choose. Like I said, I've only been once, but it sure is much cheaper to go racing around here. If costs were the same here, I think the crowds would take a hit.

4/8/11, 11:55 AM   #7
usa1bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
I would agree with a lot of that. Last year was the first time I made the trip so I've only been out there once. I LOVE the place, but the prices are high. I know the cost of living is more on the west coast, but I could see why it would be hard to attend all the time. One thing I really didn't agree with is that they wouldn't let people out via pass-out unless you had a pit pass (talking Ovals...might be different for other shows). I think people should be allowed to go to their cars if they choose. Like I said, I've only been once, but it sure is much cheaper to go racing around here. If costs were the same here, I think the crowds would take a hit.
Agreed, it's a wonder they didn't charge us double, as much fun as we had out there :2:

4/8/11, 7:36 PM   #8
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Why is it Non-Wing sprints are twice as exciting but only half as popular as winged sprints? I've been wondering that for 25 years. Joliet, Illinois charged an arm and a leg for concessions and they're no longer in business either.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
4/8/11, 7:50 PM   #9
Pine

Every sprint car track in central PA, you can take in your own food, your own beer, its 12-14 bucks to get in and we run for 3000-3500 to win. And the tracks are full, EVERY weekend....Just to bad its wings...

4 members like this post: brian26, Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE, TNRustler
4/9/11, 10:50 AM   #10
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Why is it Non-Wing sprints are twice as exciting but only half as popular as winged sprints? I've been wondering that for 25 years. Joliet, Illinois charged an arm and a leg for concessions and they're no longer in business either.
I've wondered the same thing for years as well.

Perris has some of the best racing and is one of the nicest tracks we've ever been to. We've been there for a couple of the Oval Nationals and I'm amazed they're having trouble putting people in the grandstands.

Joliet was having a bunch of demo derby's and monster truck shows a while back and I've heard that they were getting some good crowds for that stuff. Not sure if that's the case now or not but what a waste of a nice facility. The concessions at Joliet were in fact a huge reason why many didn't attend the races they had there. You'd think they'd catch the hint.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trouble in calif. For usac cra